Windows 10: Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

Discus and support Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016) I noticed that my main SSD disk had an extra partition suddenly. It used to just be the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ExtremeUnction, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

Hi

I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016)

I noticed that my main SSD disk had an extra partition suddenly. It used to just be the C: drive but now there is a G: drive as well. (image attached)
    Do you think it would be safe to delete this partition? There are no files on there:
    G:\>dir /s /b /a:h
    G:\$RECYCLE.BIN
    G:\$WINRE_BACKUP_PARTITION.MARKER
    G:\Recovery
    G:\System Volume Information
    G:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3873808609-2474160929-3200262091-1001
    G:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3873808609-2474160929-3200262091-1001\desktop.ini
    G:\Recovery\Logs

G:\>dir /s /b
    G:\Recovery\Logs\Reload.xml

I'm also not sure what those other two partitions are being used for. Neither of them is marked as a recovery partition. Would they be safe to delete as well?

G:\>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

Windows RE status: Disabled
    Windows RE location:
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

:)

ExtremeUnction, Sep 5, 2020

2. Can I safely delete certain partitions?

All the partitions to the right of C:\ can be safely deleted. I noticed you have some substantial unallocated disk space that you should try recovering.

After deleting the suggested partitions, the Volumes you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (CWeird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete? :). Right click the System volume then click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Sep 5, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 5, 2020
  4. okidna Win User

Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

Delete my W10 Partition

Do you want to safely delete your Windows 10 partition and use only Windows 7?

If Yes, then boot to your Windows 7, run msconfig, go to "Boot" tab, you will see something like this :

Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete? boot-png.png

Choose "Windows 7" and click "Set as default", then choose "Windows 10" and click "Delete", restart if asked or necessary.
    Now the boot information for Windows 10 has been deleted and you can safely delete your Windows 10 partition (make sure no important files are on the Win10 partition). To delete and extend your partition you can use many partition manager tools.

okidna, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

1. Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete? - Similar Threads - Weird disk partitions

2. Disk partition deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partition deleted: I was running dual boot of windows 10 and ubunto on my laptop , and i accidentally extended the disk partition of windows and I deleted the disk partition on linux , is there any way to undo this or recover the linux data again?...
  3. Disk partition deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk partition deleted: I was running dual boot of windows 10 and ubunto on my laptop , and i accidentally extended the disk partition of windows and I deleted the disk partition on linux , is there any way to undo this or recover the linux data again?...
  4. Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?: Hi I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016) I noticed that my main SSD disk had an extra partition suddenly. It used to just be the C: drive but now there is a G: drive as well. (image attached) Do you think it would be safe to delete this partition?...
  5. Is it safe to combine/delete these partitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to combine/delete these partitions?: As the title says, I took a look into Disk Management on Windows 10 and am wondering if its safe to combine the two recovery partitions which are Disk 0 partition 1 and Disk 0 partition 4. (I've read that Windows creates a new partition every time there is a Windows Update so...
  6. Which partitions am I safe to delete? A partition manager said the Disk 0 partitions have...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which partitions am I safe to delete? A partition manager said the Disk 0 partitions have...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KleanUpSquad [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fao0dp/which_partitions_am_i_safe_to_delete_a_partition/
  7. safe to delete intermediate partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    safe to delete intermediate partitions?: I'm dual booting ubuntu 18.04.3 alongside Windows 10, I want to allocate 100gb of disk space for ubuntu. I already have 50gb of unallocated space, I want to extend another 50gb from windows c. but there are two partitions in between can I delete them? I wanted to know the...
  8. Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions?: Hi guys i upgraded my windows 7 to 10, i looked into my disk partitions and i found a weird partition on my C/OS Drive. there is the C drive, system reserved, and another partition thats 450mb i dont know what this is. i have attached a screenshot of it too, i am unable to...
  9. Is it safe to delete the DELL created partitions when upgrading OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it safe to delete the DELL created partitions when upgrading OS: My DELL Latitude laptop came with Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on it. I decided that I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro x64. Before I did anything I used DELL Backup and Recovery to create a flash drive so I can always restore the PC back to factory if anything goes wrong...
  10. Delete recovery partition after upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete recovery partition after upgrade?: I upgraded a HP notebook to Win10 Home from Win 8.1. I would like to remove the OEM recovery partition. The Disk Management console shows the EFI partition, then the system partition (C), then a recovery partition of about 7GB. There is no Delete or resize option available on...