Windows 10: Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673

Discus and support Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Two issues here: My PC started acting up today in an odd manner. Specifically, the bottom 20% or so of my display flickers in some modes. The best way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by danielk1985, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673

Two issues here: My PC started acting up today in an odd manner. Specifically, the bottom 20% or so of my display flickers in some modes. The best way to describe it is the bottom 20% or so of the screen randomly moves upward some amount before moving back into position. This only occurs in some modes; the desktop is fine, the logon screen is affected. PC was fine yesterday.

Checked windows update history, and sure enough, KB4540673 installed this morning. Tried to uninstall the update, and it refuses to uninstall. I attempted to uninstall the update through the Windows "Installed Updates" panel, through the command prompt, and through the uninstall update menu you can access by holding shift as you restart. I attempted to reinstall the update (hoping I could then reinstall it again), but that failed as the update is detected as installed.

So the first issue I want resolved is the probably borked install of KB4540673. Hopefully that fixes the initial issue with the display.

EDIT

As an update: I don't think KB4540673 ever installed right in the first place. If I go to C:\Windows\servicing\Packages, I see the packaged for other KB updated, but I don't see anything for KB4540673.

:)

danielk1985, Mar 20, 2020

2. Display issue after installing Windows 10

Hi Peter,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue you are facing with occurs due to outdated or corrupted drivers.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform System Maintenance troubleshooter.

Follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all on the left side panel.
    • Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.
    I

Method 2: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• Type Windows Update in the search box on task bar, and hit
      Enter.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your display device.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    • Restart the computer

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 20, 2020
  3. Display Issue Please Help

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing while scrolling down. We are glad to help you.

To serve you better, let me know this:

What exactly happens when you shut down the computer?

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

Step 1: Update the Display driver. Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to Run.
    • In the Run prompt, type devmgmt.msc and then click
      OK.
    • Device Manager will open.
    • In Device Manager expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display driver and click Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.
    • After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Mar 20, 2020
  4. Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673

1. Weird display issue following installation of KB4540673 - Similar Threads - Weird display issue

2. Weird Display Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Display Issue: I don't know how to describe this issue, so I haven't been able to find any solutions online, but it is incredibly annoying and is affecting my ability to work on my laptop. As you can see, most everything is black, including the task bar and any websites I visit also a...
  3. Weird Display Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Display Issue: I don't know how to describe this issue, so I haven't been able to find any solutions online, but it is incredibly annoying and is affecting my ability to work on my laptop. As you can see, most everything is black, including the task bar and any websites I visit also a...
  4. A weird display issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A weird display issue: I bought a new laptop a few months ago which runs Windows 10 and was until awhile ago very happy. But now whenever I move the camera in games, any game, a black blur trails behind light sources. This even happens in browsers with contrasting colors. I checked my display...
  5. Windows Updates KB4540673 and KB4551762 reboot to blue screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates KB4540673 and KB4551762 reboot to blue screen: Hello, When Windows tries to install these updates, and I reboot, I get the blue stop screen sad face. Auto repair doesn't work. I have to use System Restore to a previous point in order to boot. In Windows Update, it shows Last Failed Attempt for KB4551762 with code...
  6. Windows 10 KB4540673 crashes system, hides user data

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4540673 crashes system, hides user data: Microsoft’s Windows 10 updates have lately become buggy and the situation hasn’t changed in a year. Windows 10 KB4540673 is Microsoft’s latest Patch Tuesday release and it’s plagued with Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, according to numerous user reports, but there are...
  7. KB4540673 2020-03 Cumulative Update - Network Stack Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    KB4540673 2020-03 Cumulative Update - Network Stack Problem: Hi there, we are using 802.1x Network Auth with Computer AND User Auth. After logon, the machine changes to user auth and the switch changes to the user vlan. After installing KB4540673, we are having the Problem that the eth adapter does not request the new IP Adress after...
  8. Windows 10 KB4540673 causes BSOD and other issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4540673 causes BSOD and other issues: The major and monthly updates to Windows 10 can be a headache for some people. From the infamous blue screen of death errors, installation issues, reduced performance, and data deletion bugs, installing Windows update isn’t a seamless process for everyone. Windows 10...
  9. Update for 19H2 Available to download - CU KB4540673

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update for 19H2 Available to download - CU KB4540673: This update will install Build 18363.719; there is an associated SSU - KB4541338 - with this update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-for-19h2-available-to-download-cu-kb4540673/c569f35d-195f-4201-8550-7c9c68c5a885
  10. Weird issue displaying windows.

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird issue displaying windows.: Prior to a recent set of Updates Windows 10 would let me display windows side by side with no issues. Since these updates (WHICH I HAD NO CONTROL OVER)... When I select display windows side by side I get windows didplayed one above the other??? Anyone any idea what the heck...
Tags: