Windows 10: Weird DNS resolution

Discus and support Weird DNS resolution in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a domain name, let's say, mydomain.com, properly configured with its public DNS. I pointing to local device @home. So i have entries... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gauthier Siri, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Weird DNS resolution

Hello,

I have a domain name, let's say, mydomain.com, properly configured with its public DNS.

I pointing to local device @home.

So i have entries like www.mydomain.com, xxx.mydomain.com etc...

Eerything is working fine.

To avoid going out of my local network to come back in to when i try to access them from my local network and avoid confidentiality issues, loss of bandwith or whatever you can imagine, i've set up a local DNS server, to redirect those DNS entries to their local IP addresses.

Of course, i set the DHCP on my network to provide this DNS server.

However... it's not working, at least on my computer, with Windows 10.

When i try a nslookup xxx.mydomain.com it doesn't use the local DNS entries, but the public ones ie.

> nslookup xxx.mydomain.com
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.0.250

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: mydomain.com

Address: 7x.xxx.xxx.xx my WAN address
    Aliases: xxx.mydomain.com

When it should return a local address.

When i try on the DNS server directly actually my NAS, under linux, which is also use itself has DNS, the same command answer properly :

$ nslookup xxx.mydomain.com
    Server: 192.168.0.250
    Address: 192.168.0.250#53

xxx.mydomain.com canonical name = ns.mydomain.com.
    Name: ns.mydomain.com
    Address: 192.168.0.250

To narrow down the problem, i also tried on my wife laptop on windows 10 too,but maybe older, mine is a new laptop installed 3days ago, and the local resolution works fine.

And even weirder, on my DNS server, if i stop the DNS forwarding, some website continue to be resolved when some other doesn't.

So it's like there is "something" which is still resolving...?

I tried to flush the DNS cache but it doesn't change anything...

Honestly i'm starting to be lost and don't know what can be the issue...

Thanks for your help!

:)

Gauthier Siri, Nov 21, 2020

2. OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

ISSUE

OpenVPN is getting connected. But sites are not resolved

DESCRIPTION

Our organization have an OpenVPN Neth server with limted server and site access. Some Windows 10 Pro machines are able to access the servers and sites after connecting to the VPN server, some are getting connected but have DNS resolution issues. We are not
    able to access anything from those machines. There are no issues with other OS too.

ERROR

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

• Tried access with different web browsers.
    • Cleared browser cookies and data
    • Changed DNS in network adaptor settings
    • Flushed DNS
    Are there any fixes for this issue?

Ananthram.E.S, Nov 21, 2020
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Weird DNS resolution

Bruce Hagen, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Weird DNS resolution

1. Weird DNS resolution - Similar Threads - Weird DNS resolution

2. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  3. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  4. DNS external resolution design

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS external resolution design: I am designing a new AD infrastructure for a global company. How would you do the external DNS resolution design? I dont want the DCs forwarding to the external egress servers. What options do I have: DNS caching windows machine in the DMZ for each regions, or would a...
  5. DNS external resolution design

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS external resolution design: I am designing a new AD infrastructure for a global company. How would you do the external DNS resolution design? I dont want the DCs forwarding to the external egress servers. What options do I have: DNS caching windows machine in the DMZ for each regions, or would a...
  6. DNS display flooded with weird pages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS display flooded with weird pages: I used "ipconfig /displaydns > name.txt" on the System Symbol, and when I opened "name.txt" it was full of weird URLs for example; kmuwafej.cn , www.rrenitalia.it , www.sxload.com , dasedunik.com and websites with obscene names I never entered nor even searched on google.Do I...
  7. Weird mshome.net DNS entries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird mshome.net DNS entries: Hi, so just out of curiosity I ran an ipconfig /displaydns, which showed me lots of entries, but the mshome.net ones looked suspicious, so I ran a ipconfig /flushdns and immediatley after that I ran another ipconfig /displaydns. Now all the entries except the mshome.net...
  8. Always On VPN DNS resolution problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Always On VPN DNS resolution problem: Hi we set up Always On VPN in force-tunnel mode. Server side is RRAS on Win Server 2019, client is Win 10. The customer use split DNS, that means the same FQDN points to a different IPs depending if you are in an inside or outside network. Everything works fine but there...
  9. Weirdness with Windows 10 DNS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weirdness with Windows 10 DNS: So here is my situation, I have a workstation that is sitting behind a firewall that creates an IPSec tunnel back to the corporate HQ. Normally what we do with these machines is the following: We will have 3 DNS serves first two are internal corporate DNS servers the third...
  10. OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution: ISSUE OpenVPN is getting connected. But sites are not resolved DESCRIPTION Our organization have an OpenVPN Neth server with limted server and site access. Some Windows 10 Pro machines are able to access the servers and sites after connecting to the VPN server, some are...