Windows 10: weird file on desktop.

Discus and support weird file on desktop. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some reason this random empty file (no file type) with the name "..." appeared yesterday. I've done windows updates, virus scans, restarted and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DamonTattersfield, Nov 14, 2019.

1. weird file on desktop.

For some reason this random empty file (no file type) with the name "..." appeared yesterday. I've done windows updates, virus scans, restarted and shut down my computer and cleaned up some space but the file will not go away. It randomly keeps moving all over my desktop, shoving other files out of the way. When I try and delete it nothing happens. Sometimes, next to it, it spawns this weird folder called "/desktop", but when I open the properties and put it on hidden it goes away. However when I drag the ... file into the trash can it says it's moving a massive file into the folder, which seems to be all the data on my computer! The ... file is 0 bytes big but somehow holds all the data on my computer??

This makes no sense to me, and I can usually fix these things on my own, but I'm seriously lost right now.

any help?

:)

DamonTattersfield, Nov 14, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 14, 2019
  4. weird file on desktop.

Weird Computer Desktop

Hi,

To fully understand your concern regarding the applications on your desktop, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Did you get any error messages? If yes, send us a screenshot of the error.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

weird file on desktop.

1. weird file on desktop. - Similar Threads - weird file desktop

2. Weird desktop display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird desktop display: Hi ,My desk top is showing up in a weird display.I want to restore it to a normal display.any help here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-desktop-display/6e99f8bc-86e0-4ba1-bf9b-ecd144373cc4
  3. Weird Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Desktop Folder: Alright, so here's the issue - I have two different "desktops". One that I see, and my desktop folder. Attached are two images that help when I'm explaining things. The top image is my desktop folder, and the bottom is what I see when I minimize a window on my right monitor....
  4. Weird Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird Desktop Folder: Alright, so here's the issue - I have two different "desktops". One that I see, and my desktop folder. Attached are two images that help when I'm explaining things. The top image is my desktop folder, and the bottom is what I see when I minimize a window on my right monitor....
  5. Weird Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Desktop Icons: So recently I completely reset my PC, and the icons have been like this for a few days now and I can not find a single solution to this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-desktop-icons/a2b93bb9-1afe-4977-bfd9-c5850696f857
  6. Weird Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird Desktop Icons: So recently I completely reset my PC, and the icons have been like this for a few days now and I can not find a single solution to this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-desktop-icons/a2b93bb9-1afe-4977-bfd9-c5850696f857
  7. Weird text file on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird text file on my desktop: Today I found a text file called ‘a message.txt’ on my desktop. It said I know what you have done my acc name, not my real. is that a troll? I instantly reseted my laptop out of panic. is that a virus? btw This is serious...
  8. Weird text file on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird text file on my desktop: Today I found a text file called ‘a message.txt’ on my desktop. It said I know what you have done my acc name, not my real. is that a troll? I instantly reseted my laptop out of panic. is that a virus? btw This is serious...
  9. Weird text file on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. pdf file on desktop cannot be deleted weird file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pdf file on desktop cannot be deleted weird file name: Hi there, I downloaded this pdf and I can't open it, delete it, or edit it at all. It just sits there. The file name is wrong too since it contains characters like - or $ etc, but somehow it got saved on desktop. I have tried to use the cmd method but it returns "System...