Windows 10: Weird files in external hdd

Discus and support Weird files in external hdd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, today when I booted up my desktop I found some folders and a file in the external hdd I use that weren't there the day before One is named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FDFM_24, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Weird files in external hdd

Hey guys, today when I booted up my desktop I found some folders and a file in the external hdd I use that weren't there the day before One is named mono.exe and it's classified as a windows installer type file, two folders named System and System64 that contain only .dlls, and a mono folder with other stuff in it

I normally use the hard drive just for media and doc files, and it has a bunch of steam games on it I have a suspicion that I might have accidentally downloaded them from a torrent website since the last download I did was on that hdd, even though it was only mkv files

Do you guys know what it is? Defender doesn't see it as malicious

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance

submitted by /u/FDFM_24
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FDFM_24, Jun 21, 2020

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 21, 2020
  3. ERROR 0x80004005 while transfering file to external HDD

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know what exactly does that mean when you say you make changes to the properties.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the file that you are trying to copy has the appropriate permission to move or access it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download the latest driver for the external hard drive from the manufacturer website and check if that helps.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Chasbob Win User

Weird files in external hdd

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Weird files in external hdd

1. Weird files in external hdd - Similar Threads - Weird files external

2. Weird problem with external hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird problem with external hdd: I have one weird problem. My external hdd works on every pc I used it on. I recently bought new laptop and tried to connect my external hdd but it 's not showing up. I tried to find it in disk manager or device manager but it'not showing up. But then I tried to connect it...
  3. Weird problem with external hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird problem with external hdd: I have one weird problem. My external hdd works on every pc I used it on. I recently bought new laptop and tried to connect my external hdd but it 's not showing up. I tried to find it in disk manager or device manager but it'not showing up. But then I tried to connect it...
  4. Weird problem with external hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. deleting file history on external HDD

deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  6. File Explorer will not show External HDD

File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  7. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  8. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  9. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...