Windows 10: Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it?

Discus and support Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In the last hour (and never before that) I'm starting to see a floating control widget appear when I'm watching Youtube videos in chrome. In addition... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by d4005, May 16, 2020.

1. d4005 Win User

Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it?

In the last hour (and never before that) I'm starting to see a floating control widget appear when I'm watching Youtube videos in chrome. In addition to that, the videos I'm watching randomly stop and start (not buffering related). As far as I know, I did nothing to instigate this (like changing any settings or installing anything). It just started. Here's a screenshot of what this thing looks like:

Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it? [​IMG]

I've tried right-and-left clicking on it and it doesn't appear in the task bar. It's totally ruining my ability to watch anything on youtube right now because it's stopping the videos at random. For a 5 minute video I'm having to click start dozens of times.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that it's stopped happening so much now (almost to nothing but not quite). The only thing I did was change the affinity of ffmpeg.exe which was busy converting some video files. I reduced it from 8 cores to 4 cores. It's as if that annoying widget popped up when Windows felt that it was unable to play the youtube videos without problems. Despite the fact that when they were playing, there was no buffering or stuttering.

So I might have found the cause, but I'd still like to find out how to control that widget thing. If anything, I'd like Windows to have given ffmpeg less cpu (rather than me having to enforce it myself).

:)

d4005, May 16, 2020
  2. d4005 Win User

In the last hour (and never before that) I'm starting to see a floating control widget appear when I'm watching Youtube videos in chrome. In addition to that, the videos I'm watching randomly stop and start (not buffering related). As far as I know, I did nothing to instigate this (like changing any settings or installing anything). It just started. Here's a screenshot of what this thing looks like:

Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it? [​IMG]

I've tried right-and-left clicking on it and it doesn't appear in the task bar. It's totally ruining my ability to watch anything on youtube right now because it's stopping the videos at random. For a 5 minute video I'm having to click start dozens of times.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that it's stopped happening so much now (almost to nothing but not quite). The only thing I did was change the affinity of ffmpeg.exe which was busy converting some video files. I reduced it from 8 cores to 4 cores. It's as if that annoying widget popped up when Windows felt that it was unable to play the youtube videos without problems. Despite the fact that when they were playing, there was no buffering or stuttering.

So I might have found the cause, but I'd still like to find out how to control that widget thing. If anything, I'd like Windows to have given ffmpeg less cpu (rather than me having to enforce it myself).

d4005, May 16, 2020
  3. d4005 Win User

Thanks for the suggestion, I had checked that. This is Windows doing this. I don't think a chrome extension could know the CPU usage, and it's definitely (proven now) that it was only happening during > 95% cpu usage. It was like Windows was thinking "I can't guarantee I can reliably render these youtube videos while the CPU is being slammed so much". It's an admirable thing that it cares about my entertainment experience, but I'd rather it limited the CPU hog task(s) to help me, rather than randomly pausing the video instead and offering me a control widget.

d4005, May 16, 2020
  4. d4005 Win User

Do you know where it can be found ? In windows folders or in the registry ? I'm perfectly happy to have a friendly popup appear. What I don't like is that it was stopping my youtube videos from playing in chrome just because my cpu was being hit hard.

d4005, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it? - Similar Threads - Weird floating Youtube

2. very weird youtube bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very weird youtube bug: so i have a bug on youtube where for some reason if i search or do anything the url stays as youtube.com so when im watching a video and i want to go back it takes me back to the normal microsoft page it also makes it impossible to copy video links because for some reason it...
  3. very weird youtube bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    very weird youtube bug: so i have a bug on youtube where for some reason if i search or do anything the url stays as youtube.com so when im watching a video and i want to go back it takes me back to the normal microsoft page it also makes it impossible to copy video links because for some reason it...
  4. Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird floating Youtube widget, how to stop it?: In the last hour (and never before that) I'm starting to see a floating control widget appear when I'm watching Youtube videos in chrome. In addition to that, the videos I'm watching randomly stop and start (not buffering related). As far as I know, I did nothing to instigate...
  5. How to Disable or Remove Floating Logger Widgets?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Disable or Remove Floating Logger Widgets?: This widget lately appears in all three of my browsers: Edge, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. It is a video play button that obscures comment clients. Is there a registry setting in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909 OS build 18363720 that can disable this? Thank you....
  6. Floating Calendar and Time (Widget? )

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Floating Calendar and Time (Widget? ): [ATTACH] Is it possible to set my Date & Time dropdown like the one in the picture? Or is this just a fake concept design used by computer companies to sell their devices?...
  7. Youtube all weird.

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube all weird.: My youtube is acting weird on both my machines, the zoom setting is as it should be. anybody got any clues? [img] 143362
  8. Youtube all weird.

in Windows 10 Support
    Youtube all weird.: My youtube is acting weird on both my machines, the zoom setting is as it should be. anybody got any clues? [img] 143362
  9. How to Picture In Picture and float a youtube video

in Browsers and Email
    How to Picture In Picture and float a youtube video: Good afternoon all, How to Picture In Picture and float a Youtube video in Edge Win10 so that it stays afloat when browsing other websites ? Thanks GL 142673
  10. Weird widget

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird widget: [ATTACH] This weird widget thing popped up when I downloaded an app. Is there a way to remove it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-widget/aaf40921-726a-4c7d-ab10-6fd41c544101