Windows 10: Weird folders with long names

Discus and support Weird folders with long names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pauliuss9, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Pauliuss9 Win User

Weird folders with long names

So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are: 3b6cb7df377683c56a62673d, 7742a23c06995f3a8408128c99427f8e, 6200093cbffe94c485458e, 15632226b3793987f8306e9a84d5, b652ca9148181c2adc39deeceaf1da, b5122076524e7cb509c83715078c, cb76a1de21757ed124ddc83f. All of them are in the C: directory. They have been in my computer for a while now, but I noticed them just now. They all are either empty or filled with these shady .exe or .dll or .req filles. I don't know if I should delete them, because they might be HP computer files I use a HP Probook 5320m or application files. I've searched Google and nothing is found. Does anyone know about them? If yes, can I delete them?

:)

Pauliuss9, Dec 15, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 15, 2020
  4. marinro Win User

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Weird folders with long names - Similar Threads - Weird folders long

2. I can't delete a weird file with a long numeric name in my Xbox Games folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete a weird file with a long numeric name in my Xbox Games folder.: I have administrator privileges. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-delete-a-weird-file-with-a-long-numeric/9b6e398b-7613-43fa-87d2-e6a0799fdff7
  3. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  4. Weird Administrator folder name

Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  5. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  7. File name too long for destination folder

File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  8. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Can't delete folders with long path names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete folders with long path names: I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive, as in it synchronizes to it. The actual folder path is something like:"C:\Users\FirstName.LastName\OneDrive - Company with a...
  10. Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names: Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why? Some folders (or sub-folders) in %LocalAppData% sometimes get renamed to Folder Name followed by .exe_Url then a long random string of text. Typically these...