Windows 10: Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

Discus and support Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All, I've noticed that I get really different speeds when speed testing through Cox's speedtest.net and through any other speed test (Fast.com,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tallen234, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Tallen234 Win User

Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

All,
    I've noticed that I get really different speeds when speed testing through Cox's speedtest.net and through any other speed test (Fast.com, speedofme, etc.). Now, this would be just a weird anomaly, but I think it is affecting my wife's zoom webinars. For the past couple of months (after being rock solid for years), she gets an unstable internet connection in her zoom (and other webinars). When they are recorded, you can really tell the slow speed. I have a gigablast ONT from Cox, through a brand new RAX45 router (it did the same thing with the old router) to a Dell Aurora R7. However, this problem happens when I plug the ethernet directly into the ONT (by passing the router) AND when I try to use my wife's laptop (I connect it directly to the ONT or the Router and I get the same results). so, no router and it happens on two different computers. One weird thing is that immediately after COX reset the modem on their end, the speedtest.net speed showed blazing fast speeds, then 30 seconds later I get the throttled speed. This also happens occasionally when I plug in the ethernet into the new device (for example from the desktop to the laptop), the first speed test is normal, and then the second test is pool It almost like the modem is self throttling the connection - however, when I got to another speed test, is shows fast speed. I don't recognize a slow connection under normal use. Only with the webinars.
    Right now, I just ran a speedtest on speedtest.net and got 46.5/0.37. The upload speed is crazy slow.
    I had a cox tech here this morning who thought it was "weird" and suggested I called Cox and speak to a Tier 2 or 3 person. I spoke to a rep who worked with me for a little bit and then wanted to escalate it to a supervisor. She told me that he would be calling me. I didn't receive a call.
    Another strange data point is that the throttling doesnt seem to occur on my tablet or my phone. Speedtest.net still pumps out good numbers. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.....

:)

Tallen234, Mar 5, 2021
  2. Freebios Win User

Weird internet throttling behavior while gaming

Hi,

This is not an assistance request as I figured out how to fix my issue, but more like a question about how networking is managed while in game on Windows 10.

I currently lives in a country where you need to refill your ISP every month to get your internet access, my account was empty and my internet got throttled at 8mbps up and down. Once I figured it out I refilled my account and my internet got back to 100mbps
    up and down, but something weird happened.

I was able to reach thoses speed with speedtests without running app, but once I started any game (CoD, cs:go, minecraft) my internet got throttled by windows 10 globally, and my speedtests went back to 8mbps up and down. Then when I quit the game everything
    went back to normal.

So I rebooted my computer and then everything was fine again.

So my question is, what's causing throttling matching previous ISP throttling in game on Windows 10.

Maybe it's an unintended behavior of some features for a more stable gaming experience, but on my side it went more like nightmare, getting packet loss, 1000+ ping and so on.

Thanks

Freebios, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Rhaine C. Win User
    Internet throttled unless using VPN

Greetings,

My name is Rhaine, I'm Independent Community Volunteer. I’m so glad assisting you today

I am also using VPN. Let us work together to sort this out.

If you are experiencing throttling with you internet speed there is a big possibility that your ISP throttle your data.

By using VPN you can get rid of throttling.

Why do ISP’s Throttle your Data?

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) engage in bandwidth data throttling to save money.

By limiting speeds for certain users or websites, your ISP can reduce the data usage on their entire network.

You can go to this link as reference to know more why ISP's throttling your internet speed.

How to Detect & Stop 'Throttling' by your Internet Provider | VPNU

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope the steps and information above helps.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,

Rhaine C., Mar 5, 2021
  4. Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

WIFI Upload speed slow (throttled down)

WIFI upload speed is so slow on windows 10, 0.4 MB, compared to 3 MB when running on the same device from linux. The issue happens on 2 different devices, which rules out a device issue, and is running perfect from linux, which rules out a network or device
    issue. Speed is fine when using a wired connection, and download speed is always good in all cases, 38 MB. Upload speed is fine when running tests from my android phone as well.

So the only situation where the upload speed throttles to 0.4 MB is when using WIFI on windows 10.

Solutions i've tried include DisableTaskOffload & "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable", booting in safe mode, uninstalling-reinstalling drivers, resetting internet connection, updating windows, searching for drivers update in device manager,
    and more.

Seems to be a windows 10 issue, trying to throttle down upload for some reason since it is happening on two different devices with different configurations, and as it is working fine on linux on the same devices.

Appreciate any feedback or proposed solutions.

GeneralChief, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

1. Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue - Similar Threads - Weird Internet Speed

2. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is throttling internet speed: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot why my Windows 10 PC is not able to achieve appropriate internet speeds.OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3208ISP: AT&T 5 Gbps fiber symmetricalNetwork Adapter: ASUS XG-C100C 10 GbE wired connectionSpeed test results: 600-1100 Mbps down, 250-500...
  3. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is throttling internet speed: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot why my Windows 10 PC is not able to achieve appropriate internet speeds.OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3208ISP: AT&T 5 Gbps fiber symmetricalNetwork Adapter: ASUS XG-C100C 10 GbE wired connectionSpeed test results: 600-1100 Mbps down, 250-500...
  4. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb: I've worked in IT for years, end user support to now a cloud infrastructure consultant. This is the first ever time I've used Microsoft Ask a Question, because this is the first ever time I've seen an issue like this and i'm prepared to log the hell of this to help others in...
  6. Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb

Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb: I've worked in IT for years, end user support to now a cloud infrastructure consultant. This is the first ever time I've used Microsoft Ask a Question, because this is the first ever time I've seen an issue like this and i'm prepared to log the hell of this to help others in...
  7. Windows 10 throttling Internet download speeds

Windows 10 throttling Internet download speeds: My Dell 7386 laptop with an Intel AX200 has much slower download speeds than are available on two different Samsung Galaxy S10e cellphones. All devices are connected via Wi-Fi to a TP-Link AX6000 router. The router's connection to the ISP tests out at a 501 Mbps download...
  8. Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?: I have experienced what appears to be Windows 10 throttling my internet connection speed. It has happened on multiple occasions, and it happened again tonight so I wanted to check with this community to see if there is a possible permanent fix to prevent this from happening...
  9. Internet Speed Issue

Internet Speed Issue: Hello Everyone, From the past few months, I am facing Internet speed drop issue. Already changed my router, still no luck. One thing that I have noticed is when I disconnect my laptop from wifi and then re-connect speed becomes good. So, is there any issue with my laptop?...
  10. Weird internet throttling behavior while gaming

Weird internet throttling behavior while gaming: Hi, This is not an assistance request as I figured out how to fix my issue, but more like a question about how networking is managed while in game on Windows 10. I currently lives in a country where you need to refill your ISP every month to get your internet access, my...