Windows 10: Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender

Discus and support Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I am posting this thread here because it's not related to security at all. I formatted a somewhat old Toshiba Satellite laptop yesterday (2GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eLPuSHeR, Oct 27, 2018.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender

Hello.

I am posting this thread here because it's not related to security at all.
    I formatted a somewhat old Toshiba Satellite laptop yesterday (2GB RAM, w10 x86 pro 17134.376). Everything running smooth and such. But then I went to put user's personal files back (44GB copied to external hd). Two minutes or so after starting copying (using latest Total Commander), the system BSOD'ed with some sort of "critital process failed" and then the hard disk was locked in place. I had to completely shut down and restart to make it accessible. *Huh

Then I rechecked S.M.A.R.T values and did a whole surface test. Everything was okay.
    I thought, it must be a glitch then. I resumed the copying process. You know what: another crash.
    Turned it off and on again (like they said on IT Crowd series *Biggrin). This time I saw estimated time for completion was about 5 and a half hours!!! and the copying speed was abysmal. I then disabled real-time protection. Time went down to just 25 minutes or minus.

I just installed AVAST and it did the copying process in under 22 minutes without any issues at all.

What do you think?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Oct 27, 2018
  2. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Oct 27, 2018
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Oct 27, 2018
  4. Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender

Delicieuxz, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender

1. Weird issue copying files with Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Weird issue copying

2. weird issue - Microsoft Defender antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    weird issue - Microsoft Defender antivirus: i have a very weird issue !1. Microsoft Defender detects a malware2. i allowed the malware to run on my system 3. allowed threats is empty!4. i re-execute the infected app5. defender shows no alert !so the malware is running and it's allowed but i can't remove it from allowe...
  3. copy files with permission issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy files with permission issues: trying to copy files from external drive from local user to azure joined user, but getting permission errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-files-with-permission-issues/ce5f122f-b974-4ddc-aeaf-6bdeeb085aff
  4. Weird issue with windows defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird issue with windows defender: Since yesterday when i start some applicactions(like Fortnite, league of legends and discord i tried other app like some steam games and some blizzard games with no problem meaning that it didnt crash), MsMpEng.exe crash with BEX64, this didnt happen at all before and i didnt...
  5. Defender acting weird...

Defender acting weird...: Hey all, yesterday I had a random crash where my fans started going crazy as my monitors both powered off. I rebooted & it said it was repairing my D: drive 2TB hard-drive with most of my work on it. This morning this happened again, although there was no repair message. The...
  6. Windows 10 Copying Files Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Copying Files Issue: Hi all, I have encountered several times issues regarding copying files on Windows 10. It does not matter where it is being copied from and to on the laptop or even to and from an external hard drive. This is the latest version of Windows 10 20H2, but I have encountered...
  7. Problem with windows defender not copying files

Problem with windows defender not copying files: Hello i needed to copy a very large number of various files from one partition to another, but windows defender kept interrupting sting it wouldn’t copy the file as it may contain something harmful / virus......not sure if it deleted the files or not, hopefully not.....none...
  8. Windows defender is acting weird.

Windows defender is acting weird.: So, I recently got a brand new computer, and I wanted to personalize some of my settings. I went to windows defender, and when I tried to open some of the settings, I kept getting the "You'll need a new app to open this" window. I've been having a hard time trying to find a...
  9. Weird windows defender notification

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird windows defender notification: I was compressing a folder, and a notification by Windows Defender popped up saying: "Your IT administrator requires a security scan of this item. The scan could take up to 10 seconds." I don't ever recall receiving this message in the past, and the computer I use is a home...
  10. Weird Defender Issue i Believe

Weird Defender Issue i Believe: Hello All Updated my System 1809 Pro build to 17763.134, restarted, Then My Fans kicked up to high speed for a good 5-10 minutes, Defender still shows after Full Scan Threats found, despite i checked with every single other portable program and also Eset online scan So far...