Windows 10: Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop

Discus and support Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I dabble in virtual machines, mostly for running alternative or vintage OSes, and I wanted to play around with Hyper-V on my main desktop. It's one I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/derpbynature, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop

I dabble in virtual machines, mostly for running alternative or vintage OSes, and I wanted to play around with Hyper-V on my main desktop.

It's one I built myself, with a Ryzen 5 1600AF, 24 GB of RAM, Windows installed on a 120GB SSD and two rotating metal drives for storage.

For some reason, after enabling Hyper-V, the computer would boot to the login screen, but it would act as if it was constantly busy with something.

The screen would show the login screen, and then flash to black for a couple of seconds, and repeat. With a lot of patience I was able to log in and it very very slowly loaded to a desktop, but it was pretty much unusable. The blinking screen issue persisted, everything seemed to be dragging, and my network adapter wasn't working.

I was able to boot into Safe Mode, but even under Safe Mode with Networking my network card wouldn't work.

I tried doing startup repair. It didn't immediately occur to me that enabling Hyper-V was the last big change I made. I tried uninstalling updates. I tried uninstalling the drivers for my display adapter (AMD RX 560) and network adapter (generic Atheros NFA344-based PCIe card) and nothing worked.

Finally I got around to remembering Hyper-V, and I was able to disable it under Windows features in safe mode, and that immediately fixed all issues and returned the system to its normal operation.

Does anyone know what might have happened here? I would provide logs but I'm not really sure which ones would be useful or not.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/derpbynature
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/derpbynature, Jun 19, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't Enable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Professional

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. As per my research the error code 0x800f0831 is generated when .Net Framework 3.5 is not enabled on the computer. I suggest you to try enabling .Net Framework 3.5 on the computer. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now, select the check box for .Net Framework 3.5 and click on
      OK.
    5. Restart the computer.

You can also check if Virtualization feature is enabled in BIOS or not, if it is not enabled, I suggest you to enable it.

You may also refer the troubleshooting steps performed by Jins Peter replied on August 13, 2019 in the thread

Hyper-V on Windows Pro wont install
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, you may also refer the article
    Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hyper-V to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 19, 2022
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    How to enable Hyper V windows 10

fwiw;

Operating System Requirements

The Hyper-V
    role can be enabled on these versions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • Windows 10 Professional
    • Windows 10 Education
    The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on:

• Windows 10 Home
    • Windows 10 Mobile
    • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

'Mike P, Jun 19, 2022
  4. Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop

How to enable enable Hyper-V?

Hyper-V is only supported on the Pro and Enterprise editions.

Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

FastEthernet, Jun 19, 2022
Thema:

Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop

1. Weird issue when enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - blinking screen, unusable desktop - Similar Threads - Weird issue enabling

2. Can't enable hyper V on window 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable hyper V on window 11 pro: I upgraded to Window 11 pro to use hyper V but it will not enable. I go turn it on in window features it ask me to restart then once my pc restart its disabled still. I tired using command line to enable it and same result. There on error and I have no idea why Hyper-V refuse...
  3. Can't enable hyper V on window 11 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable hyper V on window 11 pro: I upgraded to Window 11 pro to use hyper V but it will not enable. I go turn it on in window features it ask me to restart then once my pc restart its disabled still. I tired using command line to enable it and same result. There on error and I have no idea why Hyper-V refuse...
  4. Windows 11 pro in Hyper-V Issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro in Hyper-V Issue.: I had issues with my PC and had to reset my Hyper-v. It has been a minute since I had installed it and I had this issue before but I can't remember how it was corrected. So I need help again. Here is a snapshot of what I get when I try to launch Windows 11 pro in Hyper-v.I...
  5. Windows 11 pro in Hyper-V Issue.

Windows 11 pro in Hyper-V Issue.: I had issues with my PC and had to reset my Hyper-v. It has been a minute since I had installed it and I had this issue before but I can't remember how it was corrected. So I need help again. Here is a snapshot of what I get when I try to launch Windows 11 pro in Hyper-v.I...
  6. Blue screen when trying to enable Hyper-V on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when trying to enable Hyper-V on Windows 11: HelloI am trying to add the Hyper-V Feature to my windows 11 computer so I can install a VM and when I do, the system bluescreens thank god for restore points :. I have tried it twice and the same thing happens...The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:...
  7. Blue screen when trying to enable Hyper-V on Windows 11

Blue screen when trying to enable Hyper-V on Windows 11: HelloI am trying to add the Hyper-V Feature to my windows 11 computer so I can install a VM and when I do, the system bluescreens thank god for restore points :. I have tried it twice and the same thing happens...The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:...
  8. Windows 10 Pro/Hyper-V disconnection issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro/Hyper-V disconnection issues: Hello Community, Since a few days, I am intensively working with Hyper-V and have issues that I am often disconnected from my session. It happens especially, when I am scrolling in PowerShell (I have a Test-environment on my Hyper-V and test PowerShell against AD). So I...
  9. Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro: Hi, I have a problem setting up Hyper-V on windows 10 professional. I tryed many steps including: using powershell to enable hyper-v features, using advanced program setup dialog and using DISM. The hyper-v software is installed, but cant run any contrainer, saying...
  10. Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?: I have Windows 10 Home - I double checked this under Settings > System > About. Under System Information, I can see that somehow I have Hyper-V (which I read wasn't a feature in Windows 10 Home) enabled. I'm trying to install a Kali VM but I can't disable these features...