Windows 10: Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection

Discus and support Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Arris cable modem from Spectrum. It has 4 ethernet out ports. For many months i've been running two ethernet cables out from it, 1 directly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ziffel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ziffel Win User

Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection

I have an Arris cable modem from Spectrum. It has 4 ethernet out ports. For many months i've been running two ethernet cables out from it, 1 directly to my PC 3 feet away, and one to the router for the rest of the house.
    reason: if i go to the router, then out from that to my PC, i get about 65 Mbps. If I ran direct from the modem to my PC, I always speedtest at my full 120 Mbps. I gave up trying to figure out why my router was only yielding roughly half speed, and since a direct ethernet from modem worked, i left it at that.
    This morning upon turning on the PC, i had no internet on my PC. I checked, and the rest of the house is fine. Now, no matter what, I can't get internet to the PC on the direct line from the modem. If I run a line from the router to the PC, it works, but still at ~50% speed
    I have tried:

• all network reset commands (netsh winsock reset, etc)
    • rebooting PC
    • rebooting modem (twice)
    • windows updates, incl drivers
    • running network troubleshooter
    • running ONLY direct line from modem to PC (pulled line from modem going to router)
    • switched ethernet wires
    • using 2nd ethernet in port on PC
    by the way, months back, in trying to solve the 50% speed problem, I went out and bought a new router with all the latest standards, and to my amazement, still got 50% speed. So yeah, I have no idea what's going on.

:)

ziffel, Aug 9, 2019

2. Unable to connect to Cable Modem

I have an issue with my Windows 10 PC not connecting to my cable modem by ethernet cable. I connect the PC to the modem and all I get is "unidentified network - no internet", yet my laptop connects to the modem by ethernet (I'm using it now) just fine. I've tried everything I can think of to get my PC to connect to the modem, but nothing has fixed the problem so far. I can connect my phone to the modem fine by wifi as well, so the modem isn't the issue - or is it? Yesterday I had no issues with connecting to the modem and internet until I had a "blue screen event" and when the computer rebooted, I had the yellow triangle ! ever since.

Please HELP!!

tzoromski135, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Darren Win User
    Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection

Ethernet Connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would like to ask additional information that will help us in resolving the issue.

• What kind of computer are you using? Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes to your computer?
    • Have you tried troubleshooting the issue by yourself? If yes, what were the steps you have taken so far?

I would suggest you to try the following and check:

• Verify that the cable connects the modem to the wall jack is connected securely.
    • Verify that the cable connects the computer to the modem is attached securely at both ends.
    • Restart the router/modem.

Follow the steps and let us know if it helps.

JericDale Ort, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection

1. Weird issue with cable modem, speed, and connection - Similar Threads - Weird issue cable

2. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Oddly, Amazon and YouTube work well...I have no idea why these two are okay.Sometimes, my browser brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message like the following saying Secure...
  3. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Oddly, Amazon and YouTube work well...I have no idea why these two are okay.Sometimes, my browser brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message like the following saying Secure...
  4. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Sometimes, it just brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message. This has happened in Microsoft Edge and Chrome, so I don't think I turned off or on anything in Firefox. The problem...
  5. Weird issues with connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird issues with connection: Hi, so I've been experiencing some connection issues with some programs, such as COD Warzone, Zoom, OneDrive, and other unnamed programs that I have yet to try, but programs such as Discord, Google Chrome, and some messengers that I use such as LINE work perfectly fine....
  6. Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue: All, I've noticed that I get really different speeds when speed testing through Cox's speedtest.net and through any other speed test (Fast.com, speedofme, etc.). Now, this would be just a weird anomaly, but I think it is affecting my wife's zoom webinars. For the past couple...
  7. cable connect driver issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cable connect driver issues: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cable-connect-driver-issues/e640e0e9-8712-4995-bd8c-3549830bd176
  8. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  9. Speed issues with Spectrum/Time Warner cable.

Speed issues with Spectrum/Time Warner cable.: I just moved about a week ago. Today Spectrum came to install my new service. Sadly, it's not all that good. I had been paying for their 60Mbps service. With this move and new modem (Arris TM 1602A) and router (Sagemcom Fast 5260) I thought I would be set because now for the...
  10. Unable to connect to Cable Modem

Unable to connect to Cable Modem: I have an issue with my Windows 10 PC not connecting to my cable modem by ethernet cable. I connect the PC to the modem and all I get is "unidentified network - no internet", yet my laptop connects to the modem by ethernet (I'm using it now) just fine. I've tried everything I...