Windows 10: Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

Discus and support Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why? Some folders (or sub-folders) in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Callender, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Callender Win User

Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why?

Some folders (or sub-folders) in %LocalAppData% sometimes get renamed to Folder Name followed by .exe_Url then a long random string of text. Typically these folders would contain config files.

If I rename the folder then at some point over the next few days it will revert to it's old name containing .exe_Url

Example:

Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names [​IMG]

I also checked the machine that I use at work (Windows 10 Pro) and it's the same on that.

Does anyone else see this or know why it happens?

I can find a couple of references but no explanations.

See:
    Security check

Solved: SourceTree will not launch

:)

Callender, Mar 25, 2021

2. Start Menu Folder Icons are being weird.

We appreciate the screenshot you included. Rebuilding icon cache may help us resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Copy and paste each command below one at a time into the command prompt, and press
      Enter after each command.
      • ie4uinit.exe -show
      • taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
      • DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
      • DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
      • shutdown /r /f /t 00
    Note: Performing the steps above will involve killing explorer and restarting the PC. We suggest saving anything that you're working on before proceeding.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 25, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names - Similar Threads - Weird %LocalAppData% Folder

2. localappdata deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    localappdata deleted: Hi, recently my Roblox keeps crashing, I tried few of steps om Google, and one of them are run %localappdata% and delete all of the files inside of it, and yeah, I tried them and deleted all the files from my computer, now I can't even some apps and uninstall. Is there...
  3. localappdata deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    localappdata deleted: Hi, recently my Roblox keeps crashing, I tried few of steps om Google, and one of them are run %localappdata% and delete all of the files inside of it, and yeah, I tried them and deleted all the files from my computer, now I can't even some apps and uninstall. Is there...
  4. Information regarding "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" folder appearing in %LOCALAPPDATA%

Information regarding "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" folder appearing in %LOCALAPPDATA%: HiRecently I saw a new folder called "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" appear in my Local App Data, upon searching some said that this folder may be potentially very harmful to the PC. I would be very grateful if someone could help me identify this folder's nature and whether it is...
  5. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  6. Weird Administrator folder name

Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  7. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. "Microsoft" folder in %localappdata% missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Microsoft" folder in %localappdata% missing: I've been trying to access the "VisualStudio" folder that should be in the "Microsoft" folder and noticed that it doesn't exist.I've tried reinstalling Visual Studio many times already to no success. I'll probably just reinstall Windows but only if there aren't any other...
  9. Weird folders with long names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird folders with long names: So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are: 3b6cb7df377683c56a62673d, 7742a23c06995f3a8408128c99427f8e, 6200093cbffe94c485458e, 15632226b3793987f8306e9a84d5,...
  10. help with %localappdata%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    help with %localappdata%: I wanted to delete the game, but in the process I found a bunch of unfamiliar folders in this folder and deleted half of them. Now what will my PC explode? Explain to me the meaning of this folder %localappdata% submitted by /u/tesfayeonfroy [link] [comments]...