Windows 10: Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

Discus and support Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why? Some folders (or sub-folders) in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Callender, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Callender Win User

Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why?

Some folders (or sub-folders) in %LocalAppData% sometimes get renamed to Folder Name followed by .exe_Url then a long random string of text. Typically these folders would contain config files.

If I rename the folder then at some point over the next few days it will revert to it's old name containing .exe_Url

Example:

Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names [​IMG]

I also checked the machine that I use at work (Windows 10 Pro) and it's the same on that.

Does anyone else see this or know why it happens?

I can find a couple of references but no explanations.

See:
    Security check

Solved: SourceTree will not launch

:)

Callender, Mar 25, 2021

2. Start Menu Folder Icons are being weird.

We appreciate the screenshot you included. Rebuilding icon cache may help us resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Copy and paste each command below one at a time into the command prompt, and press
      Enter after each command.
      • ie4uinit.exe -show
      • taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
      • DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
      • DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
      • shutdown /r /f /t 00
    Note: Performing the steps above will involve killing explorer and restarting the PC. We suggest saving anything that you're working on before proceeding.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 25, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names - Similar Threads - Weird %LocalAppData% Folder

2. Weird folders with long names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird folders with long names: So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are: 3b6cb7df377683c56a62673d, 7742a23c06995f3a8408128c99427f8e, 6200093cbffe94c485458e, 15632226b3793987f8306e9a84d5,...
  3. help with %localappdata%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    help with %localappdata%: I wanted to delete the game, but in the process I found a bunch of unfamiliar folders in this folder and deleted half of them. Now what will my PC explode? Explain to me the meaning of this folder %localappdata% submitted by /u/tesfayeonfroy [link] [comments]...
  4. I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.: Hello, I recently tried to uninstall and reinstall discord because it wasn't working properly, but I can't reinstall discord because apparently there is still a file in LocalAppData. I have looked through the Properties of the file and it says "You must have Read permissions...
  5. Query : weird partition with weird folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Query : weird partition with weird folder: Hi all. To start, I've got a Dell pc. It seems they add weird partitions. I've got the normal ESP partition first. It's fat32. The second partition, I believe it's created by Windows, is 40mb and is labeled "diags". The strange thing is that it's also fat32 and includes one...
  6. Weird computer name in my folder permissions

Weird computer name in my folder permissions: Hello, So I was trying to move some movies from my movies file and it gave me a popup saying that I needed to have permission to be able to move the file. I went to the general section in the folder's properties and I noticed that the folder was on "Read Only", then I went...
  7. What is "%localappdata%\Programs" ?

What is "%localappdata%\Programs" ?: Is this the location of where programs are installed for a specific user? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-localappdataprograms/a3a349c3-cd93-48d5-acb9-760d4a2f489a"
  8. Weird HardDrive name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird HardDrive name: My Hard drive name pops up as a different name of a game that i downloaded. I tried changing the name in disk management and everything but it still stays the same https://gyazo.com/bade477030337d788f0a6637b60dbfa9 https://gyazo.com/d6fbcf8dbff0ca3dec5b8f475d7b671d...
  9. Weird Folders

Weird Folders: Hi, my folders are acting weird. When I try and minimize them so I can move stuff between folders, they get all weird and it's really hard to move stuff because there is only a small white space and I can't see any of the stuff already in the folders. Is this a glitch or is...
  10. weird folder

weird folder: so i was doing a presentation for biology and i made a folder on my usb drive. i named that folder "zarnjaci" and when i made it in the folder there was a bunch of folders and files with weird names like ╦Łq!î=.˛žý and similar and i couldnt open them. it showed that that...