Windows 10: Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue

Discus and support Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hardware involved: RTX 2070 / GTX 780 Ti / Dell monitor / old LG TV (has ONLY HDMI connectors) ...all on Windows 10. Home. Problem: When I leave the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Ghot, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Ghot Win User

Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue

Hardware involved: RTX 2070 / GTX 780 Ti / Dell monitor / old LG TV (has ONLY HDMI connectors) ...all on Windows 10. Home.

Problem: When I leave the computer I turn the DELL monitor OFF. Always have browser (FF) open but minimized.
    When I return to computer I turn DELL monitor back ON, but any windows I had open, minimized or not, will NOT retain their size or location on the screen.

How it's hooked up: Originally I had the GTX 780 Ti in the comp. HDMI to TV and DVI-D (dual link) to DELL monitor. Problem did not exist.

NOW: RTX 2070 in the comp. HDMI to TV and Display Port to DELL monitor. Problem DOES exist.

Other Info: The RTX 2070 has 3x DP and 1x HDMI connector. DELL and TV must be hooked up like shown. If I hook the DELL to any other DP connector on vid card (like the ones with the BLUE dots), the motherboard's BIOS splash screen shows up on the TV, even if dual displays is disabled, in Nvidia control panel.

Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue [​IMG]

EVGA highest level tech support thinks, that both the 780 Ti and the 2070 have the HDMI connector set to highest priority in the vid card's BIOS. Because the LG TV only has HDMI connectors, I must use either vid card's HDMI port for the TV.
    With the RTX 2070 hooked up as shown in the above pic, I get the BIOS splash screen and Windows screens on the DELL as it should be. I've tested all combinations.

EVGA also thinks that the resizing of the windows on my desktop, when I turn the DELL off and back on, might also have to do with the fact that the DELL is 2560 x 1600, and the LG TV is 1920 x 1080.
    In other words, even when NOT set up for dual displays, the RTX 2070 is trying to adjust what I see on the DELL, to match the 1920 x 1080 resolution of the TV which is hooked up with the vid card's primary connector... HDMI.

Last but not least... I use VLC Media Player to watch movies (stored on my storage drives) on the LG TV. This works fine. BUT, if I open the Tools > Preferences on the VLC interface (which is on the LG TV), the preferences windows opens on the DELL, and looks like this...

Everything is set up properly in the Nvidia control panel. DELL is set to Primary display, LG TV is positioned to the right of the DELL, just like in the room here. At EVGA's suggestion, we tried positioning the LG TV, in Nvidia control panel to all other possible positions, with respect to the DELL, and the problem still exists.

Last pic will show what happens to an open window on the DELL monitor, when I turn the monitor OFF, then back ON.

Even while on Windows 10, the 780 Ti did not have this issue. (Remember the only diff is the 780 Ti was hooked to the DELL with DVI-D).
    Thr RTX 2070 does not have DVI-D, so IT is hooked to the DELL via Display Port.

I've also tried about 5 different Nvidia drivers just to rule that out. Always used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before changing drivers... just to be doubly sure... no left overs.

/edit Btw... this windows resizing thing, happens to all 3rd party program windows, and any Windows windows, that aren't settings windows or .msc windows, like say... Services. For example, File Explorer does this as well.

Sorry for the excruciatingly long post, but I don't know any way to shorten the explanation.

Last but not least... you don't EVEN want to know what happens if I turn OFF the DELL, when I do have things set up in dual display mode. I just don't DO that anymore. *Biggrin

My best guess is that this issue is unsolvable, until I get a more modern TV. Like one with Display port connectors.
    This LG TV is like... 13-14 years old. It is a flat screen TV.

IMO, it's caused by a plain out bad design by the vid card makers. Probably by the firmware coders.

/edit2 The ONLY solution I've / we've found is to NOT shut the DELL monitor OFF, but to put it to sleep instead. Problem with that is that this 30" DELL (with CCFL backlight) is a power hungry beast, even when asleep.

:)

Ghot, Aug 1, 2020

2. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Aug 1, 2020
  3. TV Being used as monitor, need help.

Step 1.) Find out the NATIVE resolution of the TV. (This will also be the maximum)

step 2.) Use NATIVE resolution.

If it doesn't get any clearer at the native resolution, theres probably not much that can be done.

This is why TV's aren't used for monitors. *Wink Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue ;)

Dippyskoodlez, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

output monitor to TV

Hi John,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

If you can't see Windows on your TV, you might need to reconnect the computer to your monitor and adjust the screen resolution before you connect to your TV. If your computer doesn't support the type of video connection you need,
    then you might be able to install a new video card that has the right connection.

After you have the right cable, follow these steps to connect your computer to your TV:

a) Turn off your computer and position it within easy reach of your TV. Disconnect the monitor, but leave the mouse and keyboard connected.

b) Connect the appropriate video cable from your computer's output to your TV.

c) Turn on your TV and set it to the input that matches the output on your computer. You might need to refer to the user's guide included with your TV for instructions on how to do this.

d) Turn on your computer.

You should see Windows displayed on your TV. If the screen looks stretched, or part of the screen seems cut off, you probably need to adjust the screen resolution in Windows. For more information, see
    Getting the best display on your monitor.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issue on Windows Operating System. We will be happy to help you.

Arul_D, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Weird, probably unsolvable problem. Vid card/monitor/TV issue - Similar Threads - Weird probably unsolvable

2. Unsolvable Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsolvable Problems: For several months, my computer has been having problems. I cannot open any web browsers nor can I open certain programs; I cannot install any programs or even connect to the internet. DVDs and CDs of any kind don't activate. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 from a USB drive...
  3. Unsolvable Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsolvable Problems: For several months, my computer has been having problems. I cannot open any web browsers nor can I open certain programs; I cannot install any programs or even connect to the internet. DVDs and CDs of any kind don't activate. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 from a USB drive...
  4. Unsolvable Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Weird CPU problems after probably some update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird CPU problems after probably some update.: Good day,on October 24 I started my computer as usual day, noticing some weird changes.1 there was some windows update;2 my CPU usage started behaving strangely.What do I mean by strangely? well, during my normal computer usage as on any other day, I noticed that the CPU...
  6. Weird CPU problems after probably some update.

Weird CPU problems after probably some update.: Good day,on October 24 I started my computer as usual day, noticing some weird changes.1 there was some windows update;2 my CPU usage started behaving strangely.What do I mean by strangely? well, during my normal computer usage as on any other day, I noticed that the CPU...
  7. Weird CPU problems after probably some update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unsolved issues...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsolved issues...: Great Microsoft! Your support team is absolutely fantastic. Just because the post is about Windows 10, you are going to ignore it??? I have 2 posts that your people didn't even look at, please review and solve. POST1 and POST2. Thank you....
  9. Unsolved issues...

Unsolved issues...: Great Microsoft! Your support team is absolutely fantastic. Just because the post is about Windows 10, you are going to ignore it??? I have 2 posts that your people didn't even look at, please review and solve. POST1 and POST2. Thank you....
  10. Weird issues since last update probably ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird issues since last update probably ?: Hey friends I'm not sure if my issue is related to latest updates or not but anyways here it goes... Earlier - when I turned on my laptop - the manufacturer page "Lenovo" used to start with a circling dots one for a few seconds before coming onto "Welcome" screen, now a days,...