Windows 10: Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive

Discus and support Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I fitted a new HDD to a PC (not mine) to move folders from primary SSD, all went well until I tried to backup both drives with Macrium Reflect Free.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by scopio, Apr 30, 2019.

1. scopio Win User

Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive

I fitted a new HDD to a PC (not mine) to move folders from primary SSD, all went well until I tried to backup both drives with Macrium Reflect Free.
    Whilst the pc had the SSD only I had no problem backing it up to the same new Seagate external drive.
    When backing up the SSD and the HDD the backup failed with error “Verification Index Load Failed.” twice and also failed without verify enabled with “ An error has occurred. See the history log for details”. (Don’t know how to copy history log to post). Tried again to backup and had the error “Location is not available. F:\Seagate is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect”.
    That made me check the external drive F:\ with chkdsk and it said it was GB RAW. Now here is the weird thing, I had been able a couple of days ago to backup the SSD. Now the external drive F:\ has changed format by itself?
    I have connected the same Seagate external drive to another pc run chkdsk and it says system is exFAT and I can access it!*Mad

Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive [​IMG]

On original pc

On other pc

What happened from being able to backup the first time successfully on the original pc and trying to backup a second time and now it says it is RAW and is not accessible whilst on the other pc says it is exFAT?
    Should I format the external drive to FAT32?
    Is it possible to copy the backup that worked to another drive and the copy it back to the reformatted external drive again and will the backup be able to be restored?

:)

scopio, Apr 30, 2019
  2. JATownes Win User

Hard Drive / External Drive + Backups Configuration?

I run 2 500GB drives in RAID-0. (Seagate 7200.12 drives)

This is very good advice. I have lost my array once. *Mad Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive :mad: I backup weekly to an external, and also copy any important files (work data, game saves, pics, etc.) to my 500GB "personal" drive. So basically, I have an image of my Array saved to the external, and a copy of "My Documents" backed up to the internal 500GB.

Moral of the story: Definately backup often, whether running a RAID array or not. *Toast :toast:

JATownes, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Converting an internal hard drive to an external backup

IDE can do 133MB/s

if he can find USB 3.0, go for it. i suggest a new drive + enclosure in one, just because it will be faster and more reliable. the 100GB drive can always be installed as an INTERNAL backup drive in the new machine anyway.

Mussels, Apr 30, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive - Similar Threads - Weird problem whilst

2. I have new problems with my external drive backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have new problems with my external drive backup.: I used to plug in my external hard drive to do a daily backup of one folder. The folders on the drive would popup to the desktop. I would then move the folder I wanted to backup to the drive and it would be given the date as the name of the file. I could then refer back to...
  3. I have new problems with my external drive backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have new problems with my external drive backup.: I used to plug in my external hard drive to do a daily backup of one folder. The folders on the drive would popup to the desktop. I would then move the folder I wanted to backup to the drive and it would be given the date as the name of the file. I could then refer back to...
  4. I have new problems with my external drive backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External Hard Drive Backup Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External Hard Drive Backup Problem: I accidentally ejected my Western Digital "My Passport" backup. I unplugged from the USB port and plugged in again. My Passport now appears in Devices again. However when I go to Settings/Update/Backup the option to "Add a Drive" has vanished and when I click on More...
  6. External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment

External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment: I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version, ver 7.2 build 4971), which I like except for some problems. Unfortunately Macrium does not allow help for free version users in their support forum. so I posted here on 10forums last week, before I...
  7. Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird problem whilst backup with Macrium to new external drive: I fitted a new HDD to a PC (not mine) to move folders from primary SSD, all went well until I tried to backup both drives with Macrium Reflect Free. Whilst the pc had the SSD only I had no problem backing it up to the same new Seagate external drive. When backing up the SSD...
  8. cant't backup files to a new external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant't backup files to a new external drive: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and am running out of disk space. I bought 2 Seagate external drives ( 2 separate occasions) and after once or twice my computer no longer recognized the drives. I returned them on 2 separate occasions. I then bought a WD external drive...
  9. Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...: I have recently added a second SSD to my Dell Optiplex 5050 which I want to use to backup my C drive. Previously I’ve used Casper on my old XP machine to clone the C drive and it has worked well but I have never run it on this Windows 10 machine until I installed the second...
  10. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....