Windows 10: weird problems with start menu and settings

Discus and support weird problems with start menu and settings in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Its my first post in this subreddit so be kind. I do tech support, so for me this one is weird In the last couple of days my main win10 machine has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KrustyliciousF1, Oct 29, 2019.

1. weird problems with start menu and settings

Its my first post in this subreddit so be kind. I do tech support, so for me this one is weird

In the last couple of days my main win10 machine has problem with the start power icon having no effect(right clicking works) and if i go to settings i can't type anything into the settings search bar. Also if i use the cursor keys the selection goes right and if you use the left key its like as if the right cursor key is stuck. This happens only in some uwp apps and start menu and settings.

At boot its fine and then at some random period the start menu power icon doesn't work again.

I have a wacom tablet - that got recently updated with newer drivers, i've uninstalled that to the previous ones i've had installed.

I've also tried a clean user account. that doesn't resolve it.

My keyboard is working correctly (no keys stuck)- old but fine. one of the things you can do with diagnosing stuck modifier keys is use the onscreen keyboard.

I also tried KB4522355 but that doesn't resolve the random weirdness.

Any other ideas .. ctfmon is on and working.

submitted by /u/KrustyliciousF1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KrustyliciousF1, Oct 29, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

Hi, the 2nd picture is not a current start menu picture- and certainly not related to the anniversary edition- assuming you have the anniversary edition that is. (build 14393.51).

'All apps' has vanished from the start menu in the current build- that was in build 1511 from November 2015 until August 2nd when the new build was released. MS now lists all items the start menu finds as per your 1st picture. If you want something different, you'll need a replacement 3rd party start menu.

(I see 3 icons to the left of the list of programs in my Win 10 start menu- this is configurable in Settings, search for choose which folders..).

So your picture is of the current start menu, anniversary edition.

Suggest it's worth searching the internet for articles on what's changed in the anniversary edition.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Oct 29, 2019
  4. weird problems with start menu and settings

Start menu search problems

Hi Michael,

In order for us to better assist you, we would like to ask few questions:

• Did you make any changes or updates to your computer prior to the issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Since you're having issues with the Start menu, we suggest checking this
    article
    and follow the methods provided to troubleshoot Start menu.

Update us on the outcome.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

weird problems with start menu and settings

1. weird problems with start menu and settings - Similar Threads - weird problems start

2. Weird visual start menu glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird visual start menu glitch: My start menu sometimes got really annoying glitch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-visual-start-menu-glitch/fc9e7019-b41e-4229-9d0b-e27264a2308a
  3. Weird Menu Bar Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Menu Bar Problem: The menu bar i.e. File - Edit...etc. in just two applications is corrupted somehow. I can click on File and Edit and the dropdown works fine, but when clicking any other item, the dropdown flashes on and off and then a completely different dropdown appears. I am unable to use...
  4. Weird Menu Bar Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird Menu Bar Problem: The menu bar i.e. File - Edit...etc. in just two applications is corrupted somehow. I can click on File and Edit and the dropdown works fine, but when clicking any other item, the dropdown flashes on and off and then a completely different dropdown appears. I am unable to use...
  5. Weird Menu Bar Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Very weird problem and only happens at the start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very weird problem and only happens at the start menu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MoeNancy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e6el29/very_weird_problem_and_only_happens_at_the_start/
  7. Start menu weird folder icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu weird folder icons: Hello, Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode. The Windows 10 is always a clean install, and I have seen the issue with both Microsoft and HP drivers. Here's an example on how the...
  8. Start Menu and Settings problems.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Settings problems.: After applying the most recent forced update my start menu no longer works. Clicking on the button or attempting to type into the search bar does not function and there is a significant decrease in performance. What I've tried so far to fix it: 1. Restarting the...
  9. Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours: I just Installed windows 10 pro on my new PC at work. And my start menu looks like this [img] The icons on the left are unclear and annoying to get used to. I've been looking on the net and saw that the majority of the screenshots of the start menu on windows 10 look like...
  10. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...