Windows 10: Weird Registry Key in Current User

Discus and support Weird Registry Key in Current User in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was clearing out all the files from uninstalling AutoCAD when I noticed a registry key that looked odd. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and starts with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SoPear19, May 23, 2023.

1. SoPear19 Win User

Weird Registry Key in Current User

I was clearing out all the files from uninstalling AutoCAD when I noticed a registry key that looked odd. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and starts with "u:591fbee8- " then continues with a long string of letters and numbers with intermittent dashes and periods. I'm not sure if this is a part of my user profile or should be removed. When I expand the folder, the only subfolder is "PolicyData" and the two keys inside it are "Default" and "CloudSettingDirtyMarks" which sounds concerning.Should I delete this "u:" registry key folder or not?

:)

SoPear19, May 23, 2023
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, May 23, 2023
  3. Weird Registry Key

The registry key you mentioned, HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxx xx xxxx-4196419553-4271603927-1001_Classes\tmp_auto_file, is located in the HKEY_USERS hive of the Windows registry. The HKEY_USERS hive contains information about user profiles on the computer. The long string of numbers and letters in the key's path, "S-1-5-21-xxx xx xxxx-4196419553-4271603927-1001", represents a unique security identifier (SID) associated with a user account.

As I mentioned in my previous answer, the "tmp_auto_file" key doesn't appear to be a standard Windows registry key and its purpose is not immediately clear. If you haven't noticed any negative effects on your computer and your scans with antivirus and anti-malware programs have not detected any issues, it's likely that the key is not causing any harm. However, if you're still concerned, you can try removing the key and see if it causes any problems.

As always, be cautious when making changes to the registry, as modifying the wrong keys can cause your system to become unstable. It's a good idea to backup the registry before making any changes.

You can check the date when a registry key was created by using the Registry Editor built into Windows. Here's how:

Open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows key + R, typing "regedit" in the Run dialog box, and pressing Enter.

Navigate to the registry key that you want to check the creation date for.

Right-click on the key and select "Export". This will save a backup of the key to a file.

Open the exported file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Look for the line that starts with "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00". The date and time of the registry key creation will be listed directly below this line in the format "; Created on: [date] [time]".

Note: If the key was not created recently, it may be difficult to determine the exact date it was created, as the information may have been overwritten or lost during an operating system update or other system event.

Nicole Aljecera, May 23, 2023
  4. Zerisix Win User

Weird Registry Key

There's a registry key called "tmp_auto_file". I'm unaware if this is a windows registry key, and it's not a product of anything I intentionally installed. I know this because another computer that has all my same apps and games does not have the key at all, and I looked at another one that doesn't have any of the same things (besides steam) and same result. Could someone please help me figure out what this is? I haven't been to any weird websites, and the key is located in HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-119954552-4196419553-4271603927-1001_Classes\tmp_auto_file. I also ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

Edit: I've seen other registry keys like this installed from other games but I have very few games on my PC right now and they do not create the key when ran.

Zerisix, May 23, 2023
Thema:

1. Weird Registry Key in Current User - Similar Threads - Weird Registry Key

2. Weird registry key that I can't get an answer on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird registry key that I can't get an answer on: I've been searching the web for a while now for an answer, but I can't find one. The registry key is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\KSGenerator.KeystrokeGenerator. What is it? Is it safe? I have not installed anything weird......
  3. weird registry key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    weird registry key: I was browsing my registry, out of habit when I stumbled upon this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Setup.Kernel. It's only sub key is "InstallShield setup kernel". What is it? More importantly, should I be worried?...
  4. weird registry key

weird registry key: I was browsing my registry, out of habit when I stumbled upon this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Setup.Kernel. It's only sub key is "InstallShield setup kernel". What is it? More importantly, should I be worried?...
  5. Weird Registry Key in Current User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Registry Key in Current User: I was clearing out all the files from uninstalling AutoCAD when I noticed a registry key that looked odd. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and starts with "u:591fbee8- " then continues with a long string of letters and numbers with intermittent dashes and periods. I'm not sure...
  6. Weird Registry Key in Current User

Weird Registry Key in Current User: I was clearing out all the files from uninstalling AutoCAD when I noticed a registry key that looked odd. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and starts with "u:591fbee8- " then continues with a long string of letters and numbers with intermittent dashes and periods. I'm not sure...
  7. Weird Registry Key

Weird Registry Key: There's a registry key called "tmp_auto_file". I'm unaware if this is a windows registry key, and it's not a product of anything I intentionally installed. I know this because another computer that has all my same apps and games does not have the key at all, and I looked at...
  8. Weird Registry Key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird Registry Key: There's a registry key called "tmp_auto_file". I'm unaware if this is a windows registry key, and it's not a product of anything I intentionally installed. I know this because another computer that has all my same apps and games does not have the key at all, and I looked at...
  9. Weird Registry Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822