Windows 10: Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even...

Discus and support Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I rebooted my pc (there was the screen saying “getting things ready” so I figured there was an update that needed to get installed). After the reboot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lul_lql, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even...

I rebooted my pc (there was the screen saying “getting things ready” so I figured there was an update that needed to get installed). After the reboot the desktop started flashing, I can’t do anything but move the cursor around, can’t even open task manager. It seems as though win eplorer was crashing in a loop or something, can’t even enter safe mode. What is going on?

submitted by /u/lul_lql
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lul_lql, Dec 19, 2020
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Flickering screen and unable to maximize items

Hi Jane,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with flickering screen, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• How often you see black/ flickering screen on your device?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Is the issue of maximizing the screen confined to any particular game?
    • Were you able to see any error code with this issue?

I would like to inform that screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the troubleshooting steps like Check to see if
    Task Manager flickers, Uninstall an incompatible app,
    Update your display driver from the Microsoft article about flickering screen and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even...

Screen flickers with any Windows device

Hello Marcus,

To address your concern, we suggest that you check the list of troubleshooting steps provided on this
    article.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marvin Barc, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even...

1. Weird screen/desktop flashing/flickering after an update, unable to do anything, can’t even... - Similar Threads - Weird screen desktop

2. No Desktop icons and screen flickers after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Desktop icons and screen flickers after update: I have a Windows 11. After I install an update, or after an automatic update occurs my desktop doesn’t finish loading and no icons appear, the screen continues to flicker. The clock doesn’t even appear. I can access the taskbar and the run command though typing is difficult...
  3. No Desktop icons and screen flickers after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Desktop icons and screen flickers after update: I have a Windows 11. After I install an update, or after an automatic update occurs my desktop doesn’t finish loading and no icons appear, the screen continues to flicker. The clock doesn’t even appear. I can access the taskbar and the run command though typing is difficult...
  4. Weird Desktop flickering Situation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Desktop flickering Situation: My laptop recently started doing this weird thing where after logging in the desktop continuously refreshes and the taskbar doesn't show up. The processor heats up and the fans crank all the way up. Task manager says that the antimalware service is using up all of the memory...
  5. Weird Desktop flickering Situation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Desktop flickering Situation: My laptop recently started doing this weird thing where after logging in the desktop continuously refreshes and the taskbar doesn't show up. The processor heats up and the fans crank all the way up. Task manager says that the antimalware service is using up all of the memory...
  6. Monitor flickering after sign-in unable to click anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor flickering after sign-in unable to click anything: I recently built a new computer and it was working fine yesterday and today has been having issues with the display.It is currently using a asus tuff gaming motherboard and amd cpu and msi geforce graphics card. Earlier today I started up my computer and it fixed my C drive....
  7. Screen flickering, can't do anything

Screen flickering, can't do anything: A couple of days ago my laptop screen suddenly started flickering - it's not only a visual issue since it's impossible to do anything on the computer either. When I start Task Manager, it is flickering as well. A quick google search tells me that this most likely means that...
  8. 100% disk usage, flashing screen, can’t click on anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage, flashing screen, can’t click on anything: This has been the first time happening... I have turned it off and on, tried to see if it functions on Safe Mode (it does), and restarted windows.... I have no idea what to do and I can’t click on anything other than what appears in task manager...... please help me out...
  9. Weird screen flickering.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen flickering.: I installed a wifi card in a computer and now the screen is flickering. submitted by /u/Chaperacles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ereion/weird_screen_flickering/
  10. Frozen screen, can’t do anything about it

Frozen screen, can’t do anything about it: Hello, my lenovo laptop screen is black and i can only move around the white arrow but other than that i cant even click on anything, press any key, it just wont respond. I even googled some solutions and looked at other responses. I have tried key+P and selected pc only, no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 desktop flashing after loging and i cannot do anything

2. my pc is blinking camt do anything

3. windows 10 startup flashing desktop