Windows 10: Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface

Discus and support Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As far as I can tell, prior to today, my Nord VPN program was the only one doing it for about the past year or so. But today, I installed Handbrake for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CT71, Jan 31, 2021.

1. CT71 Win User

Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface

As far as I can tell, prior to today, my Nord VPN program was the only one doing it for about the past year or so. But today, I installed Handbrake for DVD's and it also has this, and makes it rather impossible to use, lol. The Nord one I could care less about. I've tried a few things I googled but none of them have worked. Win 1809. I know it's old, but I'm not switching to a newer one because I had a huge issue, posted here in the forums, about losing all my data stored on all my HD's. I have about 50 TB's of data, so yeah, not going to even remotely entertain whether or not that would be fixed on a newer version. So if that's the answer, I'm kinda s.o.l.

Could really use some help, thanks.

Chris

Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface [​IMG]

:)

2. resetting keyboard symbols

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove English UK and just have the default English US under keyboard input language and check.

Step 1:To keep English US as the default input language and to remove other installed services

a. Type Settings in the search bar and click on the setting symbol on the top right.

b. Click on Time and Languages.

c. Click on Region and Languages.

d. Under the languages tab.

e. Click and Change the language to English US.

Step 2:Use on screen keyboard to type the characters (@, “)

To use on-screen keyboard, follow the steps below.

a. Click on Start; type “On-screen” without quotes and hit Enter.

b. Now check if you’re able to get right characters.

Let us know if it helps or post back for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Ray.TJ Win User
    INSERT SYMBOLS

A couple of days ago I asked how to get capital letters with accents (circumflex). I got a very prompt answer suggesting a couple of methods including changing the character code on the symbols submenu. This worked very well but I didn't note the original
    character code which produces most of my commonly used symbols.

What is this code please and is there a list of alternate character codes together with what symbols they produce?

Many thanks

RayTJ

Ray.TJ, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Berton Win User
Thema:

Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface

1. Weird symbols instead of english characters on some programs interface - Similar Threads - Weird symbols instead

2. Keyboard not typing the right characters almost at all. And instead symbols and numbers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard not typing the right characters almost at all. And instead symbols and numbers: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Beneficial_Count5063 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/10j4msp/keyboard_not_typing_the_right_characters_almost/
  3. Weird symbol on Startup Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird symbol on Startup Programs: Hi, I found this weird program in my startup programs settings. I am unsure if this is part of Windows or malware. If its malware, please guide me on how to eradicate it. EDIT: I find out that it also disappears when I re-opened the settings tab. Probably is visible during...
  4. Weird symbol on Startup Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird symbol on Startup Programs: Hi, I found this weird program in my startup programs settings. I am unsure if this is part of Windows or malware. If its malware, please guide me on how to eradicate it. EDIT: I find out that it also disappears when I re-opened the settings tab. Probably is visible during...
  5. Weird symbol on Startup Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird symbol on Startup Programs: Hi, I found this weird program in my startup programs settings. I am unsure if this is part of Windows or malware. If its malware, please guide me on how to eradicate it. TIA...
  6. Weird symbol

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird symbol: [ATTACH] I started seeing this symbol in Chrome very often today. This appears for a split second when I press Shift, Ctrl, do a click or double click, and in some other situations. This is displayed in the upper left corner. tf is it?...
  7. Some of the Microsoft C++ symbols have a weird page looking symbol on them and not a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of the Microsoft C++ symbols have a weird page looking symbol on them and not a...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ComplexAura [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lbrb5r/some_of_the_microsoft_c_symbols_have_a_weird_page/
  8. Weird Program Interface and Animations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird Program Interface and Animations: Apparently that isn't normal. I need a solution, please! [media] 167333
  9. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  10. My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Support
    My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. program start using wierd characters