Windows 10: weird system drive letter on dual boot

Discus and support weird system drive letter on dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ZenXAl-Jaelani, Mar 30, 2021.

1. weird system drive letter on dual boot

i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive on my ssd is labeled as drive E: not drive C: . can i change it back to drive C ?

:)

ZenXAl-Jaelani, Mar 30, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Mar 30, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Mar 30, 2021
  4. babis49 Win User

weird system drive letter on dual boot

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

weird system drive letter on dual boot [​IMG]
    Hi guys
    in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect
    Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition
    Disk 1 : clone of disk 0
    problem description : I see in msconfig / boot a wrong listing
    windows 10 ( C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS ; Default OS
    windows 8.1 pro ( H:\WINDOWS ) instead of ( E:\WINDOWS )
    nevertheless the dual booting works fine as well as the shift between the disks via BIOS.
    The question is , could I fix the situation using the EasyBCD of Neosmart Technologies to edit the bootloader ?
    I see can change drive letter H: to E: and save the change , am I right or wrong ?
    or any other way
    any help appreciated , thanks .

babis49, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

weird system drive letter on dual boot

1. weird system drive letter on dual boot - Similar Threads - weird system drive

2. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  3. Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot: I have installed Windows 10 2004 on my new SSD leaving the old hard drive in 1903. I was under the impression that you'd be allowed to access files from the hard drive if they were in dual boot, however the hard drive doesn't show up in windows 10. When using disk management,...
  4. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  5. Weird Dual-Boot Startup Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weird Dual-Boot Startup Error: Some additional context can be found here. I had Windows 10 1803 installed on a HDD in an HP OMEN notebook. I installed a PCIe SSD. I used a bootable USB with Windows 10 1903 (from the Media Creation Tool) to install 1903 on the SSD and produce a dual-bootable setup. I have...
  6. Weird Dual-Boot Startup Error

Weird Dual-Boot Startup Error: Some additional context can be found here. I had Windows 10 1803 installed on a HDD in an HP OMEN notebook. I installed a PCIe SSD. I used a bootable USB with Windows 10 1903 (from the Media Creation Tool) to install 1903 on the SSD and produce a dual-bootable setup. I have...
  7. System Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Drive Letter: Hi. I'd like to know is it possible to change system drive letter on windows 10 and if it is how would one do so? For instance I'd like my system drive letter to be "X" instead of "C"... so,can it be done?...
  8. Dual Booting Mystery and Wireless Weirdness

Dual Booting Mystery and Wireless Weirdness: Dell 3847 PC - Dual booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview Booting - If I do a restart from 8.1 about 50 percent of the time it reboots directly back into 8.1 without a choice to boot to 10. If I restart from Win10 I'm given the choice to boot to either 8.1...
  9. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...
  10. Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install

Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install: Hi, I've installed W10 in my laptop in a dual boot configuration with W7 successfully. I used this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html I'm setting up to do the same thing in my desktop and have a couple questions about drive letter designation...