Windows 10: Weird Task Manager ethernet speed

Discus and support Weird Task Manager ethernet speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there guys.. I noticed something new to me, never saw it before even if I always keep Task Manager open in background to monitor stats.. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brainvision, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Weird Task Manager ethernet speed

Hi there guys..
    I noticed something new to me, never saw it before even if I always keep Task Manager open in background to monitor stats..
    I have a 7 MB ADSL and usually on Task Manager I see something like that

Weird Task Manager ethernet speed [​IMG]

as you can see the max speed is 7.7 Mbps and everything is fine..

But if I close the browser for a while it downgrades to

Weird Task Manager ethernet speed [​IMG]

As I said I noticed this happening only a few days ago, never saw it before; I thought it could had been related to the system shutting down the ethernet card for power efficiency but disabling those options didn't change anything.

Basically I find this as a problem for responsiveness and when playing online games: seems I always have low ping issue and poor network performances..
    Did you ever see something like that? Is it normal or what?

thanks a lot for paying attention, see you! *Wink

:)

brainvision, Jul 19, 2017
  2. Sonudixit Win User

slow internet speed through ethernet(high speed internet connection), and disk usage as high as 100 percent

i have an ethernet connection for using internet. i have 2 windows 10 , version 1607 laptops. When i plug the ethernet cable in one laptop, i can use internet at the speed promised by my service provider(2mbps). I have checked this speed in task manager.

but when i plug in the same ethernet cable in other laptop, internet speed in task manager shows very little speed near about 50 kbps. and this too doesnt remain constant. the speed varies very rapidly between 0-100 kbps. suppose first i saw 20kbps, then
    in next second it goes as high as 100 kbps..and then in the next second it shows 0kbps..remains 0kbps for a few seconds, and then again speed picks up for a few seconds.

One more key observation, whenever internet speed grows, my disk usage grows as high as 100 percent. And then internet speed slows down.

Whenever i connect this laptop(the one i am using ) to internet either through ethernet/wifi...even with higher speed connection, though i get a bit higher speed, but i have observed a lot of fluctuations in speed in task-manager, performance tab, the graph
    rarely stays straight(constant), it just forms a triangular shape, it as if a connection loss is taking place every 4-5 seconds.

A month ago, this PC was working well.

Sonudixit, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Windows 10 task manager network utilization issue

These Microsoft forum monkeys do not understand what you're saying, sadly. The issue we're all experiencing, Microsoft, is that the Task Manager shows that the Local Area Connection (the Network Interface Card or NIC a.k.a. Ethernet Port) is reporting as
    being 100% utilized, even though it is not. Modern Network Interface Cards (Ethernet Ports) can handle up to 1 Gigabit-per-second (1 Gbps), which means that they are not being 100% utilized until 1 Gbps is flowing through that port.

This is not a software conflict. Clean booting, safe booting, resetting, sfc /scannow'ing (all of the usual 'try this' responses from the Microsoft forum monkeys) will not help here. This is seemingly caused by the way the task Manager reads the Ethernet
    Driver. Either it is not taking into account the Maximum Link Speed specified by the Ethernet Driver, or it is not built to reflect the Maximum Link Speed at all. It's possible that the Task Manager has a static value set for all Windows 10 installations that
    says what the maximum throughput is, no matter what kind of ethernet port you have (100 Mbps, 1 Gbps or even 10 Gbps) but I can't be sure because I haven't tested with other ethernet ports, and I didn't build the Task Manager program.

Microsoft, please take into account what the Maximum Throughput (specified by the Network Interface Card manufacturer) is for any given NIC.

Side note, please stop having these forum monkeys issue non-sensical responses to put people off and get them to give up. It may not seem profitable, but we would all respect and appreciate you more if you said "Our program misreads or assumes a certain
    maximum link speed. This is either a bug or a limitation in the Operating System (and associated utilities e.g. Task Manager), we will take this into account and work on the problem."

KajjHalisco, Jul 19, 2017
  4. Weird Task Manager ethernet speed

It is normal, task manager accommodates the view depending on, how much data is being transferred.

Task manager is a basic tool, if you want to watch traffic, you should look for other network tools.

TairikuOkami, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    You are reading far too much into that graph. Nothing looks wrong.
    Those samples are infrequent thus it does not really show what's going on. The auto-scaling has not set in either.
    That's download speed through the Ethernet port, which does not relate to responsiveness.

The usual indicator for that is Ping time, the shorter the better. I only have 1 online game and that has a ping time indicated in the corner of the screen.

What are your Ping times ?
    Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Helmut, Jul 20, 2017
  6. my ping is actually good, I'm able to play all the multiplayer games I have (well Ubisoft ones are the worst but it depends from their shitty servers): right now that I'm writing I have 50ms of ping with three tabs on the browser and an online game on the second monitor; sometimes it goes to 130 if someone else is using wifi in the house, but really no problem..

about the Task Manager, I know it's a basic tool but still I find weird that it scales down internet speed info but not the cpu and ram ones, wich are always in percentage..

anyway thanks a lot for your replies guys, appreciated *Wink

brainvision, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Weird Task Manager ethernet speed

1. Weird Task Manager ethernet speed - Similar Threads - Weird Task Manager

2. Task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager cpu speed: So my task manager shows 1.50 ghz speed, even if i open a ton of apps, its usually below that but when i try to max it out it only caps at 1.5 ghz. And it shows the max seed is 1.8 ghz yet i can go more than 5 ghz,My pc specs:Dell inspiron 14 5410, i7 1196G7. 12 gb ram with...
  3. Task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager cpu speed: So my task manager shows 1.50 ghz speed, even if i open a ton of apps, its usually below that but when i try to max it out it only caps at 1.5 ghz. And it shows the max seed is 1.8 ghz yet i can go more than 5 ghz,My pc specs:Dell inspiron 14 5410, i7 1196G7. 12 gb ram with...
  4. Task manager is being weird

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task manager is being weird: So I opened task manager and first I saw that Netflix is open which it was not and then three other programs with it and one of them was the runtime broker, I checked the file location of the runtime broker and it is the official windows one but why is it under Netflix?...
  5. Task manager is being weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager is being weird: So I opened task manager and first I saw that Netflix is open which it was not and then three other programs with it and one of them was the runtime broker, I checked the file location of the runtime broker and it is the official windows one but why is it under Netflix?...
  6. Task manager is being weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Weird Task Manager behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Task Manager behavior: I've noticed something odd with task manager on my PC and maybe someone can tell me why it is happening. When i launch Guild Wars 2 game launcher starts normally and this launcher is listed in task manager. When I enter my credentials and start the actual game game launcher...
  8. Weird process in task manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird process in task manager: So I booted up my computer this morning and looked into task manager after logging in, I noticed that a process named "setup" was having a ton of disk activity. I tried to open file location and properties on it multiple times and nothing came up from windows explorer. It...
  9. task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    task manager cpu speed: Just this past month my cpu speed is down to around 1.5GHz but it used to be around 2.5GHz. My computer is also slower. Does anyone know why this is and how to solve this issue? 62782
  10. Task manager and RAM speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager and RAM speeds: Hello, I have recently installed new RAm (Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 mhz). In Task Manger it's showing the ram speed as 1400. Bios is showing at 1866 and also in CPU Z. XMP is enabled. Any ideas? Is this a win 10 bug etc Thanks in advance 44013

Users found this page by searching for:

1. generic mobile broadband adapter limit task manager

2. task manager wifi non stop fluctuating