Windows 10: Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router

Discus and support Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For the last month, with Windows 10 v. 1803, 1810 and 1903 on Dell and HP laptops, I've had the most bizarre intermittent DNS errors on both Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by heapug, Jun 11, 2019.

1. heapug Win User

Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router

For the last month, with Windows 10 v. 1803, 1810 and 1903 on Dell and HP laptops, I've had the most bizarre intermittent DNS errors on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection to my TalkTalk HG633 router.

Even while the problem exists, the Windows tray network indicator tells me there is an Internet connection, which indeed there is, because if, from the command window, I ping (for example) 74.8.144.137 I get a response, but if I ping yahoo.co.uk (the same address), it says "Pinging yahoo.co.uk on 129.129.129.129" and of course gets no response. Moreover, ping requests to any www address is directed to the same 129.129.129.129 This is totally crazy because this Swiss address belongs to Telenor Norge AS, who owns all 129.129.129.xxx.

MS Network Troubleshooter can't resolve the problem, and the only (temporary) fix is for me to switch between Ethernet, 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ, because every time I change the network connection, correct DNS is restored for an indeterminate period until the problem inevitably returns.

I have tried changing Windows network device DNS setting to google on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, but this doesn't fix anything, maybe because it's actually trying to connect to 8.8.8.8 via this crazy 129 address...??.

The problem never occurs while I am connected to next door's Sky WiFi, or the PlusNet WiFi on the neighbours the other side; and while it is happening on my Windows PC, other devices in the house (Android TV and phones, and a Chromebook) continue unaffected.

Anyone out there who can help? According to google search, the same problem has been reported a couple of times before in 2016, but never explained or resolved.

:)

heapug, Jun 11, 2019

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Jun 11, 2019
  3. talktalk router

Hi I have talktalk fibre the router that I got comprises of the talktalk router that sits on an openreach white box is there a router preferably Netgear that will do the job of the two talktalk boxes.

cookiemonster, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router

talktalk router

Sorry i posted the wrong asus router i was ment to post this one
    DSL-AC68U | Networking | ASUS United Kingdom

• For fibre optic broadband such as BT Infinity
    It has the vdsl modem built in so you would not need the white box.

Hmmm it seems that first model i posted would work to, Here is a list that was posted on the plusnet forum.

Draytek 2760n 2860
    Fritzbox 7390 7490
    Asus DSL-N66U
    Asus DSL-AC68U
    Cisco 887VA ISR
    Billion 8200
    Technicolor TG589
    TechnicolorTG672

plusnet/sky/talktalk/ and most uk isp all rent and use the BT fibre network and we all get the same white BT modem, the only difference is the router we get.

I am with plusnet i also have the white modem and router combo but i know i can use an all in one box so i can't see why it would not be the same for talktalk.

animal007uk, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router

1. Weird windows-only DNS problems with talktalk router - Similar Threads - Weird DNS problems

2. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  3. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  4. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Talktalk not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Talktalk not working on Windows 10: I've just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 but am having problems applying Talktalk mail. I've followed the instructions and the account seems to have been accepted but it won't send or receive anything, saying We're having a problem connecting to the incoming mail server.In...
  6. Weird mshome.net DNS entries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird mshome.net DNS entries: Hi, so just out of curiosity I ran an ipconfig /displaydns, which showed me lots of entries, but the mshome.net ones looked suspicious, so I ran a ipconfig /flushdns and immediatley after that I ran another ipconfig /displaydns. Now all the entries except the mshome.net...
  7. Weird DNS resolution

Weird DNS resolution: Hello, I have a domain name, let's say, mydomain.com, properly configured with its public DNS. I pointing to local device @home. So i have entries like www.mydomain.com, xxx.mydomain.com etc... Eerything is working fine. To avoid going out of my local network to come...
  8. Weirdness with Windows 10 DNS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weirdness with Windows 10 DNS: So here is my situation, I have a workstation that is sitting behind a firewall that creates an IPSec tunnel back to the corporate HQ. Normally what we do with these machines is the following: We will have 3 DNS serves first two are internal corporate DNS servers the third...
  9. DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem)

DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem): OS: Windows 10, version 1709 Router/Modem: Arris (Comcast) TG1682g I have a question about which DNS IP address has priority. The router has a fixed DNS IP of 75.75.75.75 (Comcast). It appears from looking at the router software/firmware and comments on the Comcast...
  10. New TalkTalk router, wi fi printer not working

New TalkTalk router, wi fi printer not working: Since I got a new TalkTalk Router my HP deskjet 3520 printer not working. Readout says IP not connected, SSID N/A. Internet connection to computer is fine and I've restarted everything but no joy. Realtek wi fi adapter also reading IPv6 connectivity - no network access, any...