Windows 10: Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

Discus and support Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 2nd boot HD in my Win 10 setup. When I want to use it, I shut down and I disconnect the data cable from my main boot HD and connect that to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GerryPeters, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

I have a 2nd boot HD in my Win 10 setup. When I want to use it, I shut down and I disconnect the data cable from my main boot HD and connect that to my alternate boot HD. I then boot and choose F11 to select the boot HD. I did this today and when my alternate boot HD was fully booted,

I opened the folder of files I was working on and saw that instead of the latest date being today 4/9/19 it was 3/15/19. I did a search for all files on that drive with the .CWP extension I was using and the latest one was 3/15. All my data is on a separate E HD, not C. All my files form 3/16 to 4/9 vanished.

I shut down and reconnected my main HD and when I booted it all the files were on my data HD up to 4/9. How could they be hidden when I booted from the alternate boot HD? After I backed up everything, I shut down again and connect my alternate boot HD and the boot up seemed to take longer, but this time all the files were there. It turns out that the last time I used my alternate Boot HD was on 3/15. This must be a clue as to what happened

I'm using Win 10 How could this happen?

:)

GerryPeters, Apr 10, 2019

2. Weirdest computer incidents

Weirdest Computer Incident

My wife trying to turn my pc down with the TV remote last night........no joke.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Apr 10, 2019
  3. Volatile Win User
    Weirdest performance problem I've ever seen.

I am facing one of the absolute weirdest problems I've ever come across in the field of computer hardware/game performance.

My friend has just finished performing multiple upgrades on his computer that we built together. Take a look at the specs first off:

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

http://pastebin.com/tbAPqfY9

Now with a machine with a 6 core processor running at 3.2 GHZ, a Radeon 6970, and 8 Gigs of ram, you would think WoW would be no problem to run.

Guess again!

http://i.imgur.com/GkJC8.jpg

Take a look at the FPS that he gets in raids, with shadows on low. 13 FPS with a 6970 and that processor.

Weirdly enough, with Crysis 2 on max settings he gets a solid 60 FPS.

Things that we have done already to try and get this working:

• Windows 7 has been re installed multiple times after each hardware installation and is working fine
    • The monitor is in fact plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard
    • All drivers are up to date along with the bios
    • WoW has been deleted, reinstalled with no addons and we get the same fps.
    • The graphics card is plugged into the correct slot on the motherboard with all the appropriate power connections.
    So even with a brand new clean install of Windows 7, a brand new install of WoW with no addons, and the newest AMD driver for his graphics card, we still get the same FPS.

30-50 FPS in a City, 10-20 FPS in raids

Mind you, this computer has gotten the exact same FPS even after:

Replacing the GTX 260 with the Radeon 6970; Replacing the older Dual Core AMD CPU with the 6 Core one; And
    Replacing the motherboard and buying DDr3 Ram

The most that changes is a 3-5 FPS increase.

Now at this point I want to say that this is a problem with WoW itself, but numerous people in his guild who have the same exact processor as him, and a worse graphics card get 40-50 FPS in raids while he gets 10-12.

I hope someone out there has an idea of what to try next.

Volatile, Apr 10, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

1. Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas? - Similar Threads - Weirdest thing I've

2. any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  3. any ideas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  4. I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...: Hello,The problem I am having is icons on my desktop task bar are always turning invisible, everyday, without fail. This only happens with icons in my taskbar and nowhere else on my desktop. All my graphic drivers are up to date as well as my windows version.I can still click...
  5. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've never seen it, before?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running windows 10And for some reason, I get this message?I've never seen it, before?Is this something, to do with my rights?What do I, have to do. To, fix it?Thanks, for reading . . . Jerry...
  6. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I've never seen it, before?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running windows 10And for some reason, I get this message?I've never seen it, before?Is this something, to do with my rights?What do I, have to do. To, fix it?Thanks, for reading . . . Jerry...
  7. I've never seen it, before?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. My computer crashed, any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer crashed, any ideas?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Due_Slade [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ju6ioc/my_computer_crashed_any_ideas/
  9. Weirdest thing happened when I opened the new Edge.

Weirdest thing happened when I opened the new Edge.: [IMG] A few hours ago I accidentally clicked the new Microsoft Edge icon when I meant to click the one next to it. When it opened, my screen became like this:...
  10. Weirdest fucking bug I've seen on Win10

Weirdest fucking bug I've seen on Win10: 1909, latest update. Starting my laptop without the mouse plugged in doesn't cause any issues. Plugging my mouse in neither. Using the trackpad with the mouse plugged in is fine. BUT, after the very first mouse click, my taskbar becomes completely unresponsive, can only...