Windows 10: Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

Discus and support Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 2nd boot HD in my Win 10 setup. When I want to use it, I shut down and I disconnect the data cable from my main boot HD and connect that to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GerryPeters, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

I have a 2nd boot HD in my Win 10 setup. When I want to use it, I shut down and I disconnect the data cable from my main boot HD and connect that to my alternate boot HD. I then boot and choose F11 to select the boot HD. I did this today and when my alternate boot HD was fully booted,

I opened the folder of files I was working on and saw that instead of the latest date being today 4/9/19 it was 3/15/19. I did a search for all files on that drive with the .CWP extension I was using and the latest one was 3/15. All my data is on a separate E HD, not C. All my files form 3/16 to 4/9 vanished.

I shut down and reconnected my main HD and when I booted it all the files were on my data HD up to 4/9. How could they be hidden when I booted from the alternate boot HD? After I backed up everything, I shut down again and connect my alternate boot HD and the boot up seemed to take longer, but this time all the files were there. It turns out that the last time I used my alternate Boot HD was on 3/15. This must be a clue as to what happened

I'm using Win 10 How could this happen?

:)

GerryPeters, Apr 10, 2019

2. Weirdest computer incidents

Weirdest Computer Incident

My wife trying to turn my pc down with the TV remote last night........no joke.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Apr 10, 2019
  3. Volatile Win User
    Weirdest performance problem I've ever seen.

I am facing one of the absolute weirdest problems I've ever come across in the field of computer hardware/game performance.

My friend has just finished performing multiple upgrades on his computer that we built together. Take a look at the specs first off:

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

http://pastebin.com/tbAPqfY9

Now with a machine with a 6 core processor running at 3.2 GHZ, a Radeon 6970, and 8 Gigs of ram, you would think WoW would be no problem to run.

Guess again!

http://i.imgur.com/GkJC8.jpg

Take a look at the FPS that he gets in raids, with shadows on low. 13 FPS with a 6970 and that processor.

Weirdly enough, with Crysis 2 on max settings he gets a solid 60 FPS.

Things that we have done already to try and get this working:

• Windows 7 has been re installed multiple times after each hardware installation and is working fine
    • The monitor is in fact plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard
    • All drivers are up to date along with the bios
    • WoW has been deleted, reinstalled with no addons and we get the same fps.
    • The graphics card is plugged into the correct slot on the motherboard with all the appropriate power connections.
    So even with a brand new clean install of Windows 7, a brand new install of WoW with no addons, and the newest AMD driver for his graphics card, we still get the same FPS.

30-50 FPS in a City, 10-20 FPS in raids

Mind you, this computer has gotten the exact same FPS even after:

Replacing the GTX 260 with the Radeon 6970; Replacing the older Dual Core AMD CPU with the 6 Core one; And
    Replacing the motherboard and buying DDr3 Ram

The most that changes is a 3-5 FPS increase.

Now at this point I want to say that this is a problem with WoW itself, but numerous people in his guild who have the same exact processor as him, and a worse graphics card get 40-50 FPS in raids while he gets 10-12.

I hope someone out there has an idea of what to try next.

Volatile, Apr 10, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas?

1. Weirdest thing I've seen in my 27 years of computing - any ideas? - Similar Threads - Weirdest thing I've

2. I've seen this problem reported many times.... Microsoft.ZuneVideo_

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I've seen this problem reported many times.... Microsoft.ZuneVideo_: When playing videos from the Internet, I get a blue screen and restart, and the event log always reports the problem was with Microsoft.ZuneVideo_8wekyb3d8bbwe. I know many others have this problem with Win 10, but it has not been fixed. Please fix it. Thanks Here's the...
  3. Odd thing that happens with my computer,

Odd thing that happens with my computer,: Greetings, So I am experiencing a problem with my computer which happens after a restart. This is what happens https://drive.google.com/file/d/136VCy6-5hs09CPemtdM80Emzq8K1bHmy/view?usp=sharing This has be happening for awhile. It will do as the video shows for awhile,...
  4. Got any ideas why my laptop will not sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Got any ideas why my laptop will not sleep?: I close the laptop lid, the screen blanks, but I can see from continued disk activity that the laptop has not entered Sleep state. In a few minutes, battery charge goes from 100% to 82%. What would cause this? Can it be corrected? Warm Regards, Mark....
  5. Weirdest Audio Bug.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weirdest Audio Bug.: So, I've been using a msi gaming laptop for about a month, and a day ago the audio just suddenly cuts- poof no audio, but the weird part is, some of my games don't produce audios, but some do. This isn't the first time this happened, i usually managed to fix it, by updating...
  6. Daily BSODs (ntoskrnl.exe) I've tried everything I've seen on google.

Daily BSODs (ntoskrnl.exe) I've tried everything I've seen on google.: SuperFetch and Prefetch are disabled. Memcheck gives no errors. The computer ran almost 24/7 for ~~10 months before the Win 10 upgrade, not a single BSOD. Since 10, I've gotten 15-20. I've followed all the steps in this article: Windows 10: How to fix system ntoskrnl.exe...
  7. New BSOD I've Never Seen Before

New BSOD I've Never Seen Before: I multi-boot, main Win 7 and then 2 Win 10's on other drives. It had been at least 10 days since I last booted into them, no problems then, but I was surprised today when I tried. Got a smaller than usual BSOD (low res Safe Mode size) and all it said was as follows, even...
  8. SIMPLE TRICK, I've been doing on slow sluggiesh computers for years..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SIMPLE TRICK, I've been doing on slow sluggiesh computers for years..: If your having a slow sluggish computer this may work or it may not for you, but it typically works for me. I simply go to TASK MANAGER and delete anything thats new on TM for the last few days when the computer started getting slow. For example if your computer has been...
  9. No idea what I've done!

in Windows 10 Support
    No idea what I've done!: [img] Hi OK I am having File Explorer problems. Firstly under "This PC" I seem to have 2 Desktop folders (see pic) By default, I have downloaded files (music, movies etc) going straight onto the desktop. Tonight, however, I couldn't find my recently downloaded files...
  10. Weird things happening to my computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird things happening to my computer.: I am having weird things happen to my computer, I was doing things online the other day and it just shut down on me. So I did a little research and ended up doing a chkdsk /r because I couldn't refresh/reset/backup my computer in recovery mode. It kept giving me an error...