Windows 10: Weirdness! Cannot Open ANY disk drives or change settings in Explorer!

Discus and support Weirdness! Cannot Open ANY disk drives or change settings in Explorer! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden, when I try to view any or all disk drives by double-clicking their icons on the desktop, NONE of them will open or display. What I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thenin, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Thenin Win User

Weirdness! Cannot Open ANY disk drives or change settings in Explorer!

All of a sudden, when I try to view any or all disk drives by double-clicking their icons on the desktop, NONE of them will open or display. What I always get instead is the error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I get the same error when I try to run any *.msc or control panel. When I choose Settings instead of Control Panel, nothing happens at all. I get it even if I simply double-click "This Computer"!

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro 1803, and since there are no other users, my user account is an administrator account. Which means this almost certainly isn't actually a permission problem at all. Even if it was, since I cannot open any disk drive, I can't examine or change the owner/permissions.

When I looked up what might be causing this error, none of the alleged "explanations" fit what I'm seeing. Here's what Microsoft has to say about this error...
    1: Check the permission of the file or folder: I can't! At least not in Explorer.

2: Check the file location: There can be no doubt as to where my disk drives are!

3: Make sure that the file has not been moved or deleted: I know with certainty that my disk drives are right where they've always been.

4: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption:
    These are not shortcuts.

5: Unblock the file:
    My disk drives are not "blocked".

6: Check to see if your antivirus software is blocking the file:
    Due to an unrelated issue (some process was deleting a few Nirsoft.net executable files whenever I extracted then from a zip file - I have now solved that), I have uninstalled all anti-malware tools on the computer in question. In fact, the very reason I booted up was to re-install them, which I obviously cannot do when Explorer can't find any of my disk drives!

For the heck of it, I ran SFC, and it didn't find any problems.

After posting this, I'm going to run MBAM on the computer at issue, but I don't expect to find anything. So in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what could be going on or some advice about how to investigate the issue more deeply?

Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Nov 13, 2018

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Nov 13, 2018
  4. HDVIDTech Win User

Explorer Opens slow

I have tried the steps listed below. Method 2 and pinned it to the task bar. This helps it open faster but when it opens then the open window are grouped away from the icon on the task bar. I have to have two explorer folders pinned to the task bar to
    have a fast opening Explorer and grouped windows together.

When I do "open file location" the original one shows it is on the desktop, but it is not there. The other one I created tracks back to the C:\ drive location as it was created. Just kind of weird that one is referencing the Desktop when it is not there.
    Maybe hidden but still kind of odd.

How can I make it where I only have one Explorer that is both fast to open and the only one on the task bar?

Method 1: Rebuild your search index.

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Method 2: Create a File Explorer shortcut on your desktop.

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click with the mouse.
    • Select New > Shortcut.
    • Type explorer.exe in the Location box.
    • Click on Next button.
    • Click on Finish button. You should now have a shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click the new shortcut, and select Properties.
    • Under Target line, change it to (note the space between C:\Windows\explorer.exe and /n):

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n
    • Click the OK button. Now you can double-click it like your regular File Explorer app.

Method 3: Reset the File Explorer view to the default settings across all your folders.

• Launch File Explorer, click the File menu, and select Change folder and search options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Under Folder views, click on Reset Folders.
    • Click the OK button.

Let us know if any of the suggestions helped.

HDVIDTech, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Weirdness! Cannot Open ANY disk drives or change settings in Explorer! - Similar Threads - Weirdness Cannot Open

2. Cannot access any programs on disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access any programs on disk drive: Windows will not install updates. Anytime I try to access my downloads, pictures or anything on the C: drive i get an "A device attached to the system is not functioning". Cannot run anything as administrator without going through task manager and starting cmd with admin...
  3. Cannot access any programs on disk drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot access any programs on disk drive: Windows will not install updates. Anytime I try to access my downloads, pictures or anything on the C: drive i get an "A device attached to the system is not functioning". Cannot run anything as administrator without going through task manager and starting cmd with admin...
  4. Cannot access any programs on disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows tabs appearance changed and looks weird without me changing any settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows tabs appearance changed and looks weird without me changing any settings.: Hello, I need help with reverting the way windows tabs/apps look. I do not recall changing anything in the settings and the tabs appearance just changed all of a sudden.Firstly some tabs have this solid border around it except for the top. I noticed that the color of this...
  6. Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks: I wanted to install a wifi software to my Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF but I found that there were troubles with the optical drive it came with. Windows cannot detect any dvd disk I insert. I want to know what I can do if this is an OS problem or a hardware problem. If it’s a...
  7. I cannot change any setting in the Settings app

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot change any setting in the Settings app: Hello. I am unable to change any settings in the Settings app. Even if I try to enable any setting, it changes back to off immediately. I am running a version of Windows 10 Pro, and I have tried running sfc /scannow Please help!...
  8. Cannot open any files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open any files in file explorer: Hello, recently my file explorer has stopped working, whenever I try to open anything in the file explorer, on my C: or D: drives, it just shows the following error: [ATTACH] how can I fix this?...
  9. Disk drive opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk drive opening: My disc drive opens by itself. Can this be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-drive-opening/769f0a19-c324-4322-992d-7b815f982161
  10. Cannot open any sort of flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open any sort of flash drive: Hi, I've been having a major problem over the past couple weeks and have tried multiple solutions but none of them have worked so far. The problem is that I am not able to open any flash drive. Whenever I try to open the flash drive it says; "E:\ is not accessible. Access...