Windows 10: Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

Discus and support Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi .. Sometime ago I put together what I needed to install Windows 10 (Windows 10 + new RAM + two new hard drives), but due to stuff going on,I still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zappastixs, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

Hi
    Sometime ago I put together what I needed to install Windows 10
    (Windows 10 + new RAM + two new hard drives), but due to stuff
    going on,I still haven't got round to it yet.

Windows 7 is still hanging on. But oddly still receiving updates now and then.

The two new hard drives are;
    WD10SPSX WD Black 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6GB/s - 1TB - 64MB Cache - 7200RPM
    .WD20SPZX WD Blue 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6Gb/s - 2TB - 128MB Cache - 5400RPM
    I was going to use the Black WD10SPSX for Windows 10 O/S - and the Blue WD20SPZX for storage
    as ASUS N73SV Notebook has 2 bays.
    .And then a few days ago, I was checking out another WD drive to use in a USB external caddy,
    when I came across this on Google - that the hard drives I had brought were both SMR;
    .Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)
    (as you probably know) . . . a slower form of HDD technology that can result in
    reduced performance in some types of workloads

This was the first time I'd heard, let alone read about SMR - Thankfully I havent used the HDs yet.
    .-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .MY QUESTION
    .So to me, would I be correct in thinking that the best use of these drives is purely for storage?
    .i.e. "write to them now and again (via USB) because they would be out of the machine" ?
    .And to use SMR hard drives wouldn't be advisable with a working machine that is used
    every day for many hours.
    .Due to the fact that HD 1 would be running Win10 - and HD 2 for Storage - will constantly run slow.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .What gets me,
    ...Is for Western Digital not to come clean with buyers is a disgrace.
    .Unless anyone has a better solution, is seems my only option is to use 'two WD hard drives' with much
    reduced storage because although the maximum one can use is only 500GB (without SMR) - they are
    thankfully tried and tested, regular good old fashioned CMR (conventional magnetic recording) drives.
    .Seems it will have to be TWO of these;
    .WD5000LPLX - WD Black 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6GB/s - 500GB, 7200RPM
    ...-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...If anyone wants any more info - I found these links that are helpful;
    .Western Digital Reveals Full HDD List Featuring SMR Technology
    PMR, SMR, CMR, I-just-want-a-hdd-MR – nullteilerfrei
    ..Finally - I note that WD do not come clean and explain SMR HDs
    are inferior to what many have been used to - when they
    mention video editing - that can be hungry at times, and
    just need to be able to save lengthy clips without issue.
    .Great Things Come in Small Packages
    ..WD Black 2.5-inch PC Hard Drives are designed to enhance your PC experience, whether
    at home in your new all-in-one desktop, or on-the-go in your trusty notebook.
    With up to 1TB of storage running at 7200 RPM, you get an extremely fast high-capacity
    mobile hard drive, offering the perfect storage solution for a digital artist, video editor,
    photographer, or gamer
    . Backed by an industry leading 5-year limited warranty,
    .WD Black 2.5-inch Hard Drives combine performance and capacity with the reliability
    of a brand you can trust.
    .Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
    .Stephen

:)

Zappastixs, Oct 2, 2020

2. Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

Hi
    Sometime ago I put together what I needed to install Windows 10
    (Windows 10 + new RAM + two new hard drives), but due to stuff
    going on,I still haven't got round to it yet.

Windows 7 is still hanging on. But oddly still receiving updates now and then.

The two new hard drives are;
    WD10SPSX WD Black 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6GB/s - 1TB - 64MB Cache - 7200RPM
    .WD20SPZX WD Blue 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6Gb/s - 2TB - 128MB Cache - 5400RPM
    I was going to use the Black WD10SPSX for Windows 10 O/S - and the Blue WD20SPZX for storage
    as ASUS N73SV Notebook has 2 bays.
    .And then a few days ago, I was checking out another WD drive to use in a USB external caddy,
    when I came across this on Google - that the hard drives I had brought were both SMR;
    .Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)
    (as you probably know) . . . a slower form of HDD technology that can result in
    reduced performance in some types of workloads

This was the first time I'd heard, let alone read about SMR - Thankfully I haven’t used the HDs yet.
    .-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .MY QUESTION
    .So to me, would I be correct in thinking that the best use of these drives is purely for storage?
    .i.e. "write to them now and again (via USB) because they would be out of the machine" ?
    .And to use SMR hard drives wouldn't be advisable with a working machine that is used
    every day for many hours.
    .Due to the fact that HD 1 would be running Win10 - and HD 2 for Storage - will constantly run slow.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .What gets me,
    ...Is for Western Digital not to come clean with buyers is a disgrace.
    .Unless anyone has a better solution, is seems my only option is to use 'two WD hard drives' with much
    reduced storage because although the maximum one can use is only 500GB (without SMR) - they are
    thankfully tried and tested, regular good old fashioned CMR (conventional magnetic recording) drives.
    .Seems it will have to be TWO of these;
    .WD5000LPLX - WD Black 2.5" Mobile Internal HDD SATA 6GB/s - 500GB, 7200RPM
    ...-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...If anyone wants any more info - I found these links that are helpful;
    .Western Digital Reveals Full HDD List Featuring SMR Technology
    PMR, SMR, CMR, I-just-want-a-hdd-MR – nullteilerfrei
    ..Finally - I note that WD do not come clean and explain SMR HDs
    are inferior to what many have been used to - when they
    mention video editing - that can be hungry at times, and
    just need to be able to save lengthy clips without issue.
    .Great Things Come in Small Packages
    ..WD Black 2.5-inch PC Hard Drives are designed to enhance your PC experience, whether
    at home in your new all-in-one desktop, or on-the-go in your trusty notebook.
    With up to 1TB of storage running at 7200 RPM, you get an extremely fast high-capacity
    mobile hard drive, offering the perfect storage solution for a digital artist, video editor,
    photographer, or gamer
    . Backed by an industry leading 5-year limited warranty,
    .WD Black 2.5-inch Hard Drives combine performance and capacity with the reliability
    of a brand you can trust.
    .Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
    .Stephen

Zappastixs, Oct 2, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Oct 2, 2020
  4. Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

little cat, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

1. Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please - Similar Threads - Welcome guidance experience

2. Help please installing hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help please installing hard drive: So, I have an Asus E402s, which had no memory on it. I think it came with none? Anyway, I thought I needed to buy a SSD hard drive and clone kit and clone the hard drive then swap it out for the hard drive inside. I did the clone but when I took the back off (as you all...
  3. Internal 2.5" SATA Solid State Hard Drives - appreciate Help/Guidance

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal 2.5" SATA Solid State Hard Drives - appreciate Help/Guidance: Internal 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Hard Drives - appreciate some help & guidance Hi I'm thinking of swapping the 2.5 inch SATA HD that holds Windows 7, on my nine year old ASUS N73SV notebook, that has two hard drive bays, for a 2.5 inch SATA SSD This SATA SSD would be for...
  4. Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please

in Windows 10 Support
    Welcome guidance/experience on these particular Hard Drives please: Hi .. Sometime ago I put together what I needed to install Windows 10 (Windows 10 + new RAM + two new hard drives), but due to stuff going on,I still haven't got round to it yet. Windows 7 is still hanging on. But oddly still receiving updates now and then. The two new...
  5. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  6. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  7. Hard Drive Error! Please Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Error! Please Help!: I have a PC with the following specs. Intel Core i5-4570S 8 GB RAM Nvidia GTX 960 120GB SSD 500GB HDD I was running Assassin's Creed Syndicate yesterday and I first noticed some momentary stutters when entering a new area. The game was installed in my HDD. When I was...
  8. Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie: I am new to W10 (Professional version 1809). I know there are tutorials and threads on updates but I need to ask this from my particular experience. Last night I was using the computer when the screen went blue, some updates took place (I cannot remember what it said but I...
  9. Hard Drive Failure. Please Advise.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Failure. Please Advise.: Hi there First time I've asked a question here so here goes. My daughters HP laptop will not boot up. Used HP diagnostic built in and it says hard drive is failing. I think I can recover her photos , files etc by removing hard disk and backing up to new drive BUT.......
  10. Windows Search REFUSES to index anything on a particular hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search REFUSES to index anything on a particular hard drive: Hello, I'm an advanced user, and I recently clean-installed Windows 10 after having some issues. I gave an expansion drive the letter A:, and after some investigation read that it was likely that assigning a drive letter A or B would preclude Windows from indexing anything...