Windows 10: Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

Discus and support Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] USB-C has quickly become ubiquitous, and not just on mobile devices: This incredibly versatile connectivity standard is now pervasive on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

Read more: Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era - Thurrott.com

Brink, Nov 2, 2016
  2. fireberd Win User

Why does a "Windows" PC have to be like an Apple? In the audio/recording studio world there are a few Thunderbolt I/O devices but the majority are USB 2.0 devices or even 1394 (Firewire). The bandwidth of a USB 2.0 exceeds the bandwidth requirement of most recording interface devices. Some do not even work with a USB 3.0 port (the device(s) is the issue not the 3.0 port).

I realize things will evolve, and "managing change" is not an issue for me, having been in commercial networking and telecommunications and help desk since 1973. But, I just don't see "follow Apple" (and I have an iPhone).

:)

fireberd, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 is not recognizing a Thunderbolt 2 device

Hi!

I've just bought a NAS (QNAP TVS-1282T) and a PC with the motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX.

The motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type-C connector and the NAS is Thunderbolt 2.

Once i connect the NAS via Thunderbolt 2 cable into the USB Type C port with this

Startech adapter
    i get this message: "the last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it".

If i go to the device manager in Windows i see that under "USB Device (Universal Serial Bus)" there is a "Billboard Device" reporting an error with Code 10. (screenshot
    here
    )

(it's in italian. A literal translation would be: Impossible to start the device (Code 10). You specified an unexisting device)

I tried to click on it and automatically look for drivers, but it says that the device drivers are up to date.

The NAS works for sure, because if i connect it via thunderbolt on my girlfriend macbook it works.

So, how can i make this work via Thunderbolt 2 on my Windows PC?

I've spent 13K€ on this setup (NAS + PC), you can imagine i cannot work without Thunderbolt!

Additional details:

- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX. Bios Version F3. All drivers installed. It supports Thunderbolt 3

- Windows 10 Version 1511, Build OS 10586.633

- Gigabyte tech support said a Thunderbolt 2 device would work with this Motherboard using that adapter. I've asked them before buying all this stuff

Thanks for your help

AlbertoFontana90, Nov 2, 2016
  4. godhawk Win User

Windows 10 is not recognizing a Thunderbolt 2 device

They dont come with the flashTBT_100.exe file as of the newest downloads for the Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX motherboards. I have looked at other thunderbolt drivers and cant find it there either. Basically my USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on my computer reads
    as a USB-C port with card readers and the like, but my thunderbolt 3 devices it wont read. I just downloaded and installed v 16.1.47.275 of the thunderbolt software from Gigabyte. Also there are no instructions in the .zip (link

here
    )

I only get the "try improving USB Connection" message or "does not recognize USB device" and I can go no further.

I will try the unplug power source for 30 seconds, but as this is a custom build and I'm pretty sure I've done that already multiple times, I dont hold out much hope

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I bought this board specifically for the TB 3 capabilities for my line of work.

Thanks!

godhawk, Nov 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era - Similar Threads - Welcome USB Thunderbolt

2. Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop: Hello, The Thunderbolt usb c input on my computer ASUS TUF DASH F15 stopped working with a dock station I had been using for almost a year. I tried other multi port usb c I have and the only one that still works by usb cable only, is a usb c to vga adapter from dell. All the...
  3. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket: I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3 port. I've just purchased a new HP Z38C monitor, which includes some USB ports, however, to use them a cable must be plugged...
  4. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port

Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port: Hello random willing stranger Today I bought a new usb-c to displayport cable to properly connect my computer to an external monitor because it was time for a new connection cable and I wanted to exploit the thunderbolt supported usb-c port on my laptop and get some lower...
  5. Surface Laptop 3 - Unable to get 4k@60Hz Thunderbolt / usb-c

Surface Laptop 3 - Unable to get 4k@60Hz Thunderbolt / usb-c: Hello! I have already googled for this problem but couldn't find a clear anwer. I have a Surface Laptop 3 and BenQ PD2720U. I use a usb-c cable as connection between the devices without docking station. I'm not able to get 4k@60Hz. But it works with my other HP monitor -...
  6. Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0

Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0: Windows Version 1909 I don't know the right terminology. My new Dell laptop has a type-c thunderbolt 3 port. I'm looking for an adapter so that I can connect an external hard drive that has a USB 3.0 connector. I've looked around but I'm not 100% sure if I will be getting...
  7. Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers

Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers: One topic that may be helpful to thunderbolt 3 users on Win 10. For various reasons you can have thunderbolt 3 usb - c port hardware installed on your win 10 box and may not see thunderbolt 3 drivers present in the device mgr. One reason for this is the thunderbolt drivers...
  8. Samsung T5 is not getting recognized in a non Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port

Samsung T5 is not getting recognized in a non Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port: I got a T5 SSD, it works really well with standard USB 3.1 Type A port but its not getting recognized with Type C port on my Laptop. My laptop doesn't support Thunderbolt 3. Any suggestions. I use a Zephyrus M GU502GU....
  9. How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...: I have a Lenovo yoga 920 running windows 10, with no HDMI or DisplayPort. I have an apple thunderbolt 3 male/thunderbolt 2 female, adapter. Then I have an old Displayport to HDMI cable. (FYI: thunderbolt 2 and display port used the same connector) When I plug all this...
  10. Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

Usb - c / thunderbolt issue: Hi, Recently purchased a Razer, currently transferring files over from my ATOM RAID 2 TB EXTERNAL SSD, USB-C / Thunder-Bolt 3 Drive to another External connected via USB 3 via Windows 10. Any time I attempt to transfer files, the ATOM RAID begins to transfer and then the...