Windows 10: Well, this isn't the Desktop...what is it?

Discus and support Well, this isn't the Desktop...what is it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, Just upgraded my inexpensive Toshiba laptop to Win 10 from 7. Here's the thing, though... Every time I read something (online, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Starkman, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Starkman Win User

Well, this isn't the Desktop...what is it?

Hey all,

Just upgraded my inexpensive Toshiba laptop to Win 10 from 7. Here's the thing, though...
    Every time I read something (online, for instance) about the Desktop, it seems to reference the tablet-looking screen with all the tiles on it (the tiles I removed because I neither need nor want any of them).

But I also have my original Desktop, which has my own background, colors, icons, etc., and I switch between the two desktops by clicking the little Start window. So, what is my original Desktop called in order to differentiate it from the tablet-looking Desktop?

Further, will pinning and such only apply to the tablet-looking Desktop?

Thanks much,

:)

Starkman, Mar 18, 2016

2. What is this in the Microsoft Launcher?

Thanks Well, this isn't the Desktop...what is it? :) and I love all things Microsoft! (and a few Google products too)

Arafat_AAK, Mar 18, 2016
  3. What is this in the Microsoft Launcher?

Glad to have helped. Enjoy!

Andre Da Costa, Mar 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The desktop is called the desktop. The tablet style tile view is called start. You pin to start, which creates a tile. You create shortcuts on the desktop. To can convert a shortcut to a file by pinning it to start. You can convert a tile to a shortcut by dragging it to the desktop portion showing behind start.

NavyLCDR, Mar 18, 2016
  5. Starkman Win User
    Great, that clears up a lot. Thanks!

Starkman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Well, this isn't the Desktop...what is it? - Similar Threads - isn't Desktop

2. Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...: The default setting in OneDrive for shortcuts on the desktop which are stored in the "Desktop" folder in OneDrive is not correct. It should be "Always keep on this device" for the following reasons:1. The ".lnk" files which contain the shortcuts are very small, and would not...
  3. Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...: The default setting in OneDrive for shortcuts on the desktop which are stored in the "Desktop" folder in OneDrive is not correct. It should be "Always keep on this device" for the following reasons:1. The ".lnk" files which contain the shortcuts are very small, and would not...
  4. Mouse cursor isn't showing on my desktop ROCCAT NYTH Gaming mouse Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor isn't showing on my desktop ROCCAT NYTH Gaming mouse Windows 11: Hello,I've had this issue in the past where my mouse cursor isn't visible on the desktop, but my left and right click still worked, but I couldn't actually move the cursor, it just stayed in one spot, but I was able to resolve it by restarting the PC. This time I've tried...
  5. Mouse cursor isn't showing on my desktop ROCCAT NYTH Gaming mouse Windows 11

Mouse cursor isn't showing on my desktop ROCCAT NYTH Gaming mouse Windows 11: Hello,I've had this issue in the past where my mouse cursor isn't visible on the desktop, but my left and right click still worked, but I couldn't actually move the cursor, it just stayed in one spot, but I was able to resolve it by restarting the PC. This time I've tried...
  6. My headset isn't being recognized by my desktop.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My headset isn't being recognized by my desktop.: I have a SteelSeries Arctis 3 and it can be used with PC as well. I plug my headset through the jack and I can hear everything as well but when I try to see my headset connected to my pc it is not recognized even though I can hear everything and this is a problem because when...
  7. My headset isn't being recognized by my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headset isn't being recognized by my desktop.: I have a SteelSeries Arctis 3 and it can be used with PC as well. I plug my headset through the jack and I can hear everything as well but when I try to see my headset connected to my pc it is not recognized even though I can hear everything and this is a problem because when...
  8. My headset isn't being recognized by my desktop.

9. Whatsapp desktop app on windows 10 isn't loading QR Code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whatsapp desktop app on windows 10 isn't loading QR Code: Hello, I have exactly the same problem described here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whatsapp-web-desktop-app-on-windows-10-isnt/058da390-e069-4083-93d3-712fc5b0d2d4I had whatsapp 64-bit downloaded on my windows 10 laptop and it used to work fine and...
  10. Whatsapp desktop app on windows 10 isn't loading QR Code

Whatsapp desktop app on windows 10 isn't loading QR Code: Hello, I have exactly the same problem described here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whatsapp-web-desktop-app-on-windows-10-isnt/058da390-e069-4083-93d3-712fc5b0d2d4I had whatsapp 64-bit downloaded on my windows 10 laptop and it used to work fine and...