Windows 10: Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install?

Discus and support Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Win 10 install seemed to get corrupted, lost the link to the new browser from the task bar and start menu and couldn't load an important program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PikeViewer, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install?

My Win 10 install seemed to get corrupted, lost the link to the new browser from the task bar and start menu and couldn't load an important program (Schwab street smart edge). So, I went back to Win 7 as the 30 trial period was almost over.

I am now invited to upgrade to Win 10 again using the exact same screen and language as the first time. It says nothing about whether it will give me a completely fresh install or revert back to the corrupt one. Does any one know what I will get? Also, will I get a fresh 30 days to revert to Win 7 again?

By the way, Win 10 is working fine on two other computers that I have upgraded.

:)

PikeViewer, Sep 7, 2015

2. I went back to Windows 7. If I reinstall win 10 will it be a fresh (non corrupt) install?

I went back to Win 7 because my start menu got corrupted (lost the link to Microsoft Edge Browser) and because an important program, Schwab Street Smart Edge, wouldn't load. I was near the end of the 30 day option to go back, so I took that option.

Now I would like to know whether , If I accept the option to reinstall Win 10, I would get a completely new install of Win 10 or go back to the previous corrupt install. Also, would I get a fresh 30 days to make sure the new install is working well?

By the way Win 10 is working fine on two other computers that I have upgraded.

RoyRoseBeta, Sep 7, 2015
  3. I went back to Windows 7. If I reinstall win 10 will it be a fresh (non corrupt) install?

I made a bootable Win 10 installation USB but then decided to try using Windows update. I wanted to see whether that would reinstall my corrupt version or do a clean install. Happily an up to date iso was downloaded and clean install completed. I now have
    none of the glitches that I had before.

I will make a system image of this pristine setup before I make any changes.

RoyRoseBeta, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install?

Ztruker, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Molyy Win User
    Not sure if you'll get another 30 days to revert to previous system. But you can grab the free system goback. There's no limit in time. Just need to make an image before upgrade.

Molyy, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Thanks for your quick reply.

To be clear, the upgrade path will reinstall my corrupted version of 10? If I try that first, can I then do a clean install to replace the corrupted one?

I am guessing that going back to my saved version of 7 won't be an option any longer. Correct?

Molly: so loading a system image of my 7 will accomplish the same thing?

PikeViewer, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Restoring from an image backup is definitely the best way to go. If you have that you can return to Windows 7 any time you want.

Ztruker, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install?

Thanks. I make backup images regularly. I'll do an image backup of my current Win 7, the reinstall (clean) Win 10 and see how it goes.

Microsoft should be upfront that people can go beyond the 30 day limit to revert to win 7 by making an image backup. It was the warning that we have 30 days that freaked me out.

PikeViewer, Sep 8, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    The warning applies to using the C:\Windows.old folder and files to "Roll back" to the previous Operating System, nothing more.

Ztruker, Sep 9, 2015
  10. Follow up:

I made a bootable Win 10 USB but then tried installing Win 10 through windows update. I wanted to see whether that would reinstall my corrupted version or do a clean install. That did indeed download Win 10 and did a clean install. I have none of the glitches that I had before. I will now make a system image to use in case I cause problems again as add software, modify settings, etc.

Again, thanks for the help and encouragement.

PikeViewer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install?

1. Went back to Win 7. If I reinstall Win 10. will it be a fresh install? - Similar Threads - Went reinstall fresh

2. Reinstal Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstal Win 7: I Installed Win 11 on my old laptop, but its so slow I want to reinstall Win 7 before I sell it. I get msg "..........partitions not in recommended order..." What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstal-win-7/8dd08ed6-8d23-4ff9-9c50-7402805e6781
  3. Reinstal Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstal Win 7: I Installed Win 11 on my old laptop, but its so slow I want to reinstall Win 7 before I sell it. I get msg "..........partitions not in recommended order..." What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstal-win-7/8dd08ed6-8d23-4ff9-9c50-7402805e6781
  4. Should I install win 7, 8.1 or reinstall win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I install win 7, 8.1 or reinstall win 10: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about reinstall the windows to improve performance. My Operate System is: i5-5200U, 4gb RAM, 120GB SSD, No GPU support, iGPU HD Graphics 5500. Should I install win 7, win 8.1 or reinstall win 10?...
  5. Should I install win 7, 8.1 or reinstall win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I install win 7, 8.1 or reinstall win 10: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about reinstall the windows to improve performance. My Operate System is: i5-5200U, 4gb RAM, 120GB SSD, No GPU support, iGPU HD Graphics 5500. Should I install win 7, win 8.1 or reinstall win 10?...
  6. Should I install win 7, 8.1 or reinstall win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win 7 back to win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 7 back to win 10: Yes I had a windows 10 free upgrade back in 2016. I updated an ran on my current pc for awhile. I had a harddrive failure which was my fault had to reinstall win 7. I double checked my Microsoft account an saw coarse my win 10 back up or what have you under devices an my...
  8. Went back to Win 7 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Went back to Win 7 pro: went back to 7pro, too many bugs in 10. 1. does not let my Norton AV update, updates fail, norton uninstalled & re installed which worked until I shut comp down problem tthen reappears. I uninstalled two more times with the same problem. 2. Could not open my office 2010...
  9. Reinstall Win 10 onto Win 7

Reinstall Win 10 onto Win 7: A computer glitch during a download (in Win 10) required that the only way to start up ( I tried several programs that wouldn't work-Intermediate to advanced user). The recovery loaded the original Win 7. I had loaded Win 10 free during appropriate time period. Is there...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10

Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10: *Rolleyes This concerns this Activation error So perhaps I should have waited to see if it would have activated. Long story short.... win 7 (Home premium)was upgraded to win10.. win10 was activated... did a clean install of win10 with a disk i had created from...