Windows 10: Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added...

Discus and support Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today I was downloading a game on Steam (To my D drive) when the game stopped downloading and said there was not enough disk space. Nothing unusual, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tjdabek, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Tjdabek Win User

Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added...

Today I was downloading a game on Steam (To my D drive) when the game stopped downloading and said there was not enough disk space. Nothing unusual, as this happens sometimes. The message was pointing to my SSD, the C drive. So I went to "Add or remove programs" to free up some space on my C drive. I got rid of about 7.5 GB of stuff and continued downloading the game (Vermintide 2). I then loaded up another game (Minecraft) and began playing it until it crashed. The report said something about my location of the game (in the C drive) and how it was unable to validate a file or something. I then also noticed the Steam game I was downloading was back to saying not enough disk space. It's also worth noting I was downloading the game to my D drive, NOT my C drive, however Minecraft is in my C drive.

From here I check the space on the C drive and it was 80 MB? Confused, I then do what I would normally do and restart my laptop.

It boots up normal and has a normal start up but the C drive is at 100 MB? I open Steam, check a few things, and check back to the storage and it dropped to "NTFS - 0 byts free of 117 GB" Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added... [​IMG]

Minecraft doesn't even start anymore.

What could be causing my storage to drop its available memory out of nowhere and is there a way about fixing this?

Sorry for the formatting/grammar, very annoyed right now to care.

:)

Tjdabek, Aug 8, 2019

2. Local Drive D is showing "access denied"

I have a Lenovo 100S-14IBR-80R9. It came with 32 GB of SSD. However, recently I started getting message that I need to update Windows 10 and that my OS will not work after 10th Apr 2018. When I tried updating, it gave me a message that I needed 8 GB space
    - there was no way that I could find 8 GB in a drive which had only 500 MB left. As such, I took following steps:

• I added a 250 GB SATA SSD but the added space was useless to this purpose since it needed space in C drive and so the system continued asking me to clean up space so I could free up 8 GB in C drive for the update.
    • Recovering 8 GB in C drive was impossible so I re-installed Windows by media creation tool and after the installation, 250 GB drive has been designated C drive and the original 32 GB drive was no longer visible in windows explorer though in disk management,
      it shows up but all options for 32 GB partition are grayed out.
    • As such, I installed mini partition wizard and assigned a label D to original 32 GB drive. Now it became visible in Windows explorer with D label but when I click on this D drive, I get "access denied".
    • I reformatted this drive as both FAT32 and NTFS to no avail.
    • Tried Windows 10 troubleshooter for Hard Drive and Shared folders to no avail.
    • Adjusted User Access Control to no avail.
    • I adjusted the security settings of D drive to no avail.
    • I have used diskpart to set id=07 but keeps saying location not available.

So, before almost giving up and re-installing my windows all over again, here is my last attempt to find any potential approach that I might have missed.

Amit-K-Thakur, Aug 8, 2019
  3. C: drive full

i have an insignia 2 in 1 tablet with windows 10 hard drive space c: = 28.5 GB ntfs file system and now when downloading cant complete due to disk full only 7% now available . I have a SD storage card inserted 119GB FAT file system shows as D drive.
    My question is how can i get the system to use the sd as well as the c drive. or at least default to the D drive when downloading? Does one drive play a role in this which btw i have deleted everything on it as well i have cleaned c drive inc old versions
    optimized ect just doesnt add up to enough to make a real difference.. i would appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer thanks

JohnOffice_951, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added...

My windows 10 upgrade consumes all of it's drive c: space (50 GB)

• My windows 10 upgrade consumes all of it's drive c: space (50 GB)
    • I am unable to install the update,
    • I suspect the windows 10 need this much space and it is some kind of glitch,
    • Please suggest a way to free up some space as I don't prefer to format partition C:

letmeguess, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added...

1. Went from 8 GB available on my C drive to it saying "NTFS". Nothing was downloaded or added... - Similar Threads - Went available drive

2. Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?: When I first got my laptop it had Windows 10 and 6GB RAM was available out of 8 GB I understand this is because of an integrated graphics card, but now I am on Windows 11 and there is only 3.38 GB available. I've also started getting the BSOD today when running more intensive...
  3. Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?: When I first got my laptop it had Windows 10 and 6GB RAM was available out of 8 GB I understand this is because of an integrated graphics card, but now I am on Windows 11 and there is only 3.38 GB available. I've also started getting the BSOD today when running more intensive...
  4. My C: drive went from 30 GB to 2 GB in one night! Can someone please explain?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C: drive went from 30 GB to 2 GB in one night! Can someone please explain?: I made a video which is 20 GB then when i posted it on yt then i deleted it then it went back to 30 GB. Next day, Its at 2 GB!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-c-drive-went-from-30-gb-to-2-gb-in-one-night/bd6973cb-a814-4e72-9d2f-f988ee61daad
  5. My C: drive went from 30 GB to 2 GB in one night! Can someone please explain?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My C: drive went from 30 GB to 2 GB in one night! Can someone please explain?: I made a video which is 20 GB then when i posted it on yt then i deleted it then it went back to 30 GB. Next day, Its at 2 GB!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-c-drive-went-from-30-gb-to-2-gb-in-one-night/bd6973cb-a814-4e72-9d2f-f988ee61daad
  6. My C: drive went from 30 GB to 2 GB in one night! Can someone please explain?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. My C drive went from over 400 gb to only 238 gb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive went from over 400 gb to only 238 gb: I reset my PC and in the process I used my old laptop to get my stuff over For some reason the C drive is now the same as my old laptop I can't locate the missing space I tried in partitions Also I tried cmd Diskpart List disk The missing space does not show up submitted...
  8. C Drive says -906GB available but usage bar says 174 GB used and 732 GB free space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive says -906GB available but usage bar says 174 GB used and 732 GB free space: I'm nervous about why my Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 won't save my Word document. Granted the document is large but the file is only 1.12MB in size. I keep trying to empty up disk space but I've gotten rid of a lot of unused and unwanted Music and Documents files and it...
  9. downloads won't open from exFAT drive and nothing will install to a NTFS formatted drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    downloads won't open from exFAT drive and nothing will install to a NTFS formatted drive.: HELP ME PLEASE WHY WILL MY PC NOT INSTALL STUFF TO NTFS AND NOT OPEN STUFF FROM exFAT???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloads-wont-open-from-exfat-drive-and-nothing/3607e739-4536-49d5-84cd-f1aedacb31b2
  10. c drive went from 5 gb remaining to 151 gb overnight while PC was off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    c drive went from 5 gb remaining to 151 gb overnight while PC was off: I had low HD space left on the C drive. THe drive has always been compressed. Last night I powered off the PC with 5 gb free space, powered on this morning and now 151GB remaining. The drive is an SSD. Ideas?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. c drive is saying ntfs what is this