Windows 10: What are all these files with ".1" in their names?

Discus and support What are all these files with ".1" in their names? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I have started to see lots of extra files with ".1" added to the end of the file name just before the extension. e.g. in addition to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Jan 16, 2017.

1. ship69 Win User

What are all these files with ".1" in their names?

Hello

I have started to see lots of extra files with ".1" added to the end of the file name just before the extension.

e.g. in addition to
    finance.xlsx, I now also have
    finance.1.xlsx

e.g. In addtion to
    letter_to_acme.doc , I now also have
    letter_to_acme.1.doc

e.g. in addition to
    John_Info.txt, I now also have
    John_Info.1.txt

And the same is true for other applications like MindManager?

WTF - what ARE all these files?
    They are irritating because I don't know which file is the real one and they cluttering up my hard disk!
    How do I stop them being produced?
    And/or how do I hide them?

Many thanks

J

:)

ship69, Jan 16, 2017

2. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

hi .. i hav found one trick by which we can hide all photos and videos/mp3 from gallery.

m using this ith my nokia c3 . very nice privacy trick.

Best Way To Hide Files Folders in Nokia s40 Symbian OS

rockpop989, Jan 16, 2017
  3. " NOKIA X2 " How to Hide Files (Photos/Videos) from Gallery view..??

S40 WHAT AN OUTDATED VERSION OF SOFTWARE NOKIA X2 IS HAVING...What are all these files with ".1" in their names? :(

VERY VERY DISAPOINTED What are all these files with ".1" in their names? :(

sharanukumar, Jan 16, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

This sort of thing usually happens when you are syncing files between systems or folders and for some reason they get out of sync or you get conflicts. Do you have automatic backups to the cloud running?

philc43, Jan 16, 2017
  5. ship69 Win User
    Oh! Well I still use SyncToy to synchronise my data on my two PCs. Maybe that's is causing them??

Hmm... So I'm now wondering if there is a utility to delete files that have ".1" in their names that have exact duplicates without ".1" in their names.

J

ship69, Jan 16, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jan 16, 2017
  7. ship69 Win User
    You nailed it. Darn it.

OK so how any idea how the heck I remove all the stupid duplicates?

ship69, Jan 16, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

If you know all the .1 files are not needed but are exact duplicates just search for them using *.1.* in the search box of a file explorer window. Unfortunately this will also find a lot of other genuine and system files but if you do the search on your data folders you might be able to narrow it down a bit.

philc43, Jan 16, 2017
  9. ship69 Win User
    I couldn't get the Windows/ FileExplorer search box to work.In the end I dug out an old copy of everything.exe from voidtools, and did something similar doing it file extension by file extension.Out of interest how do you guys do your synchronising between computers. There has to be a better way (other than using the dreaded 'The Cloud')CheersJ

ship69, Jan 16, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    Actually, I do use the cloud. OneDrive has proved to work very well for me.

philc43, Jan 16, 2017
  11. clam1952 Win User
    Due to problems with SyncToy misbehaving, I use FreeFileSync which is fast, however watch the bundled stuff when installing, don't just blindly click, nothing dodgy usually bundled just could be annoying having to uninstall it if you missed the decline bit.

clam1952, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What are all these files with ".1" in their names? - Similar Threads - are files names

2. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  3. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  4. How to delete duplicate files with "1" in their name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete duplicate files with "1" in their name?: I've been downloading ROM packs and they have multiple games with the same name but with "1" after. Is there a way to delete just files in that folder with "1"? Or even delete files with similar names? Any advice is greatly appreciated!...
  5. How to delete duplicate files with "1" in their name?

How to delete duplicate files with "1" in their name?: I've been downloading ROM packs and they have multiple games with the same name but with "1" after. Is there a way to delete just files in that folder with "1"? Or even delete files with similar names? Any advice is greatly appreciated!...
  6. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  7. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  8. Camera and all the Zune Files 1

Camera and all the Zune Files 1: [ATTACH] Look at all these files for this Zune, I did NOT Download these, and I hope it is because of this program that I've lost Camera, Bluetooth, Microphone ! And Look here are the files for my dang, that can't load ......really Microsoft ? This is what you do ?...
  9. File Names Changing to All Capitals

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Names Changing to All Capitals: I am finding that my files are changing to all capitals without me doing this, I then have to rename them back to proper case. I have had instances where a file is saved in proper case and then when I save it again it saves in capitals; I then have two files with the same...
  10. What is the file named "there" that seems to replace my Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the file named "there" that seems to replace my Name?: I have noticed Windows 10 has a path: This PC > Local Disk (C*Smile > Users > there In Windows 7 "there" was my first name. They have even added a path like this in my Documents folder that I have in an external back up hard drive. 1. What is "there" supposed to...