Windows 10: What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?

Discus and support What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the most important part of a computer. All the calculations needed to run a particular task or application on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 29, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?

CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the most important part of a computer. All the calculations needed to run a particular task or application on a computer are processed by the CPU. That’s why it is also called the brain of the computer. Basically, a CPU is of the following two types:

• Single-core processor.
    • Multi-core processor.

All the processors with more than one core, like dual-core, quad-core, etc., are commonly known as multi-core processors.

What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need? what-are-cpu-cores.png

In this post, we will describe different types of CPU cores so that you can select the right CPU as per your requirements.

What are CPU cores?

CPU cores are the pathways that are consist of billions of microscopic transistors. These cores are located inside a CPU and help it to process data. In simple terms, we can say that CPU cores are something that helps a CPU execute a process. If a CPU has multiple cores, the computer treats each core as a separate CPU that helps it process multiple tasks at the same time.

The earlier computers were able to do only one task at a time. This is because they contained a single-core CPU. But as technology developed, the manufacturers brought us CPUs with multiple cores and today almost all computers come with multi-core CPUs.

How many CPU cores do you need?

When it comes to buying a new computer, many users do not know how many CPU cores do they actually need. A CPU core is one of the factors that determines how smooth the programs will run on a computer. If your job requires working on multiple programs at a time, you need a multiple-core CPU.

The type of software or applications you require determines the number of cores you actually need. For example, if you need a multi-core CPU only for some basic tasks, like internet surfing, creating text documents, etc., you can go with a dual-core CPU. On the other hand, if you are a programmer or a graphics designer, you need higher core CPUs that depend on the type of application you use, such as Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.

Now, let’s see the different types of CPU cores:

1. Single-core processor or CPU with one core.
    2. Dual-core processor or CPU with 2 cores.
    3. Quad-core processor or CPU with 4 cores.
    4. Hexa-core processor or CPU with 6 cores.
    5. Octa-core processor or CPU with 8 cores.
    1] Single-core processor

When the CPU was invented, it had only one core. This means, that the computers at that time could handle only one task at a time. Today, none of the companies are manufacturing computers with single-core CPUs.

2] Dual-core processor

Computers with dual-core CPUs are the most budget-friendly option. The computers with dual-core processors let you do multiple tasks but you cannot run heavy-duty applications. You can access your email, create spreadsheets, edit documents, listen to music, and do similar light tasks without overloading the CPU. You can also play some games on such computers but only those games that have lower graphics. If you upgrade your system from dual-core to quad-core CPU, you will have a better gaming experience.

Read: CPU Temperature Monitor and Checker software.

3] Quad-core processor

If your computer has a quad-core CPU, apart from the regular work, you can play good quality games but not the advanced ones, render videos using some basic software, etc. But if you are looking for a computer for the tasks such as video editing, 3D rendering, graphics designing, etc., the quad-core processor will not be the right choice for you. To use these applications, your computer should have a processor with at least 6 cores. Apart from the Hexa-core processor, your computer should also have at least 16 GB of RAM.

4] Hexa-core processor

Computers with hexa-core processors can run many complex programs and advanced games. In addition to this, 6 core CPU also lets you stream the video game that you are playing.

Hence, it is an ideal choice for graphics designers and video game streamers.

6] Octa-code processor

Octa-core processors are designed to handle the most complex games, applications, and software. An eight-core CPU will the best choice for you if you are a pro gamer, a video editor, or an engineer. An engineer or a programmer uses heavy-duty software. That’s why they need a high-performance computer.

Besides this, the gamers who play, record, and stream the most advanced video games should opt for octa-core or higher CPUs to avoid their system from freezing or crashing.

Read: Quick CPU lets you optimize CPU performance & Power consumption.

Should you consider only the CPU cores?

Above we have explained different types of CPU cores and which type of processor is suitable for you. But, there are some other factors too that you should consider while purchasing a computer, such as RAM, Graphics Card, CPU speed, etc.

For optimum performance, both CPU and GPU have to work parallelly. CPU processes all the arithmetic and logical calculations required to run a task, whereas, GPU renders high-quality images and videos.

What do you understand when we say computer performance? For a normal user, the term performance refers to the smooth processing of the software installed on a computer. A high-performance computer can process heavy-duty tasks without being frozen or crashed. Technically, the performance of a computer depends on the rate of data transfer between the CPU and the RAM. The faster the data is transferred, the higher is the computer performance. This is the CPU speed, a.k.a., clock speed. That’s why the processors with high clock speed are always better.

That’s it. We hope you liked the article.

Related post: Best RAM hardware modules for PC gaming.

What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need? what-are-cpu-cores.png
    This article What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 29, 2021

2. problem cores cpu

hello

my cpu is 4 core but task manager show the 2 core:

http://dl4.tajdownload.ir//Untitled.png

why fixed?

my os is windows 10 64bit enterprise - version 1709 - build 16299.125

cpu: a8-7600

mohammada1, May 29, 2021
  3. CPU Core Updating

Does Anyone Know how to update CPU Cores?

NoahUniacke, May 29, 2021
  4. F.Farah Win User

CPU Core Updating

Hello NoahUniacke, my name is Farah and I'm an Independent Adviser. I can help you regarding this problem

can you specify more?

Each CPU has a certain number of core and you can not increase them

I assume you mean overclocking the CPU, which means increasing the single core speed.

if this is what you want, you need to see if your motherboard and CPU supports this, therefore you should contact the motherboard manufacture..

Cheers!

Farah

F.Farah, May 29, 2021
Thema:

1. What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need? - Similar Threads - are CPU cores

2. Cpu core problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu core problem: I have a ryzen5 12 core processor and was told to go into boot and enable all 12 I restarted and now my pc is really really slow and I tried to change it back but now it says I only have 1 core and I don't know what to do...
  3. Cpu core problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu core problem: I have a ryzen5 12 core processor and was told to go into boot and enable all 12 I restarted and now my pc is really really slow and I tried to change it back but now it says I only have 1 core and I don't know what to do...
  4. Cpu core problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CPU cores missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU cores missing: Hi my name is Daniel and i seem to have a problem with my laptop.You see, i have a laptop with a Quad Core CPU. But when i checked the numbers of processors i have on the system configuration it only showed a maximum of 2.if anyone has a reason of how and why this is...
  6. CPU cores missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU cores missing: Hi my name is Daniel and i seem to have a problem with my laptop.You see, i have a laptop with a Quad Core CPU. But when i checked the numbers of processors i have on the system configuration it only showed a maximum of 2.if anyone has a reason of how and why this is...
  7. CPU cores missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. CPU Core Updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CPU Core Updating: Does Anyone Know how to update CPU Cores? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-core-updating/633dbf59-c831-460a-845e-e0114c4e448f
  9. CPU Logical cores

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Logical cores: Hi. I'm using Windows 10 Home with an Intel Core i3-7100U @ 2.4Ghz, but when I first checked at Task Manager, the number of Logical Processors were 4. But somehow I changed the number to 2, and I want to change it back to 4 but I can't remember where I changed it in. Can...
  10. CPU Logical cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Logical cores: Hi. I'm using Windows 10 Home with an Intel Core i3-7100U @ 2.4Ghz, but when I first checked at Task Manager, the number of Logical Processors were 4. But somehow I changed the number to 2, and I want to change it back to 4 but I can't remember where I changed it in. Can...