Windows 10: What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting?

Discus and support What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I love how MS and Google remember my settings, preferences, previous searches and enjoy the apps like GMail, Google Earth Pro, XBox Live, One Drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Pombrio, May 30, 2015.

1. What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting?

I love how MS and Google remember my settings, preferences, previous searches and enjoy the apps like GMail, Google Earth Pro, XBox Live, One Drive, etc. My son is constantly logged into a lot more sites like DropBox, Twitter, Facebook, etc. My best friend absolutely refuses to log into any accounts except for Facebook.

For the life of me, I cannot come up with a good reason NOT to log in. I don't get spam from them and I get to use some cool apps and tools that simply will not work without logging in. Besides the usual "they (MS, Google, NSA) are tracking/listening/watching their users!" stuff and possible marketing promos, is there something I have not thought of?

:)

John Pombrio, May 30, 2015

2. Do other Windows users want more options and control in Windows 10?

Sad but true. I just don't see any downside to MS to release a $300 Windows 10 Ultimate version that is based on the Enterprise version. Only power users would cough up that amount of money and they will know what they are doing with settings and updates.
    It would be a win-win situation, and MS would make more money, and their customers would be happier. What is the downside?

John R Moffett, May 30, 2015
  3. tjgarland Win User
    Logging into computer with old MS account

The problem is, that her @HOTMAIL email is linked to one MS account and now her @GMAIL email is linked to another MS account. MS don't have a way to merge them into the one MS account (from what I understand).

The problem is, she uses @HOTMAIL when she starts up her computer and logs in. Once logged in, her OFFICE & ONEDRIVE are all using @GMAIL.

She doesn't use her @HOTMAIL account anymore except to sign into this computer. Is there a way she can sign into her computer using @GMAIL or merge the two MS accounts together?

tjgarland, May 30, 2015
  4. Brds7t7 Win User

What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting?

Your friend won't login to any site other than Facebook? You might want to tell them that they're actually one of the worst sites for tracking your Web activities. That was one thing I ditched years ago and don't miss it at all.

I have no issue logging into MS on my pc. I've had a Hotmail for years so doesn't really make any difference. The only thing I have no interest in is features like Cortana. If I do update to 10 that will be the first thing I disable. I've used android phones for years and never use features like voice search or Google now.

Brds7t7, May 30, 2015
  5. You forgot cyber-criminals in your list of usual suspects.

lehnerus2000, May 30, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    John, you are asking for facts. Your question is more about beliefs!

I'm a bit wary but appreciate the conveniences of Google and MS logins. I've even learnt to take my silver foil hat off!! Maybe we're headed for the devil but there you go.

7. pparks1 Win User
    Biggest downside that I can think of is that if your account gets compromised online, you might find yourself locked out of your PC.

I usually prefer a local account because my kids will use my PC and I don't necessarily want them to be able to get into my OneDrive, email, calendar, etc...without having to supply a username/password.

pparks1, May 30, 2015
  8. What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting?

Couldn't you create a separate login/password for them that would also prevent them from accessing both your online accounts and certain folders/programs that you don't want them use/see? Depends on how old they are and what mischief they are capable of. The worst happened by my kids was accessing dubious websites and the mess they left behind.

As for getting compromised online, my friend is well aware of not going to anything but known websites and I got him to run World of Trust on FF so he knows when he is straying. The other is that he still clicks on links to programs he wants that are simply malware sites that are at the top of the list rather than the Mozilla site for instance but he broke himself of that habit. Finally, he is always watching out for suspicious e-mails and has caught some clever ones (which he forwards to me!) so he is perfectly clean as far as I know.

John Pombrio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting?

1. What are the downsides to logging into MS when booting? - Similar Threads - are downsides logging

2. what is ms .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is ms .: my windows says .this copy of win in nnot genuine so plese repeair my win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-ms/f17cd1eb-03c2-402f-8aaf-e328caea4101
  3. what is ms .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is ms .: my windows says .this copy of win in nnot genuine so plese repeair my win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-ms/f17cd1eb-03c2-402f-8aaf-e328caea4101
  4. MS Teams log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Teams log in: I'm trying to join a meeting in teams and the link doesn't work. It works for other people. The app window open but is blank. In my browser Google I get a message saying there is a problem. I have changed the settings in Google to allow all the MS websites through security....
  5. Log in to mS issue

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Log in to mS issue: I am logged into Windows 10 and have no password required. I am trying to turn on sync settings with another W10. So I try and log in using my Microsoft account and it doesn't accept my password which I know to be correct. I even reset password and used the new password which...
  6. Question: what are the downsides of not using an activated windows product key? Does it do...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: what are the downsides of not using an activated windows product key? Does it do...: I’m about to build my first PC. And I have taken the step to download the boot file stuff straight from Microsoft’s website. I plan on getting the full on windows 10 eventually, I’m just curious on the downsides (if any) of not using a product key at the start up. I hear it’s...
  7. Are there any downsides of Windows 10 education?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any downsides of Windows 10 education?: I have Windows 10 Home but would also like to try out Windows 10 Education which is being offered by my University. My concerns are about the restrictions it could put on my PC (messages like: Your PC is being managed by an organisation; or: You cannot change these...
  8. what is ms-resource:displayname and ms-resource:appdisplayname

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what is ms-resource:displayname and ms-resource:appdisplayname: I did not install that recently. and that's name is strange. I can not find where that was installed. Can you solve this problem? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-ms-resourcedisplayname-and-ms/9838952d-577c-4d8e-b1c5-5872ad86a231"
  9. A downside to creating restore points?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A downside to creating restore points?: I'm puzzled by Microsoft's decision to have System Protection off by default in Win10. Is there a downside to creating Restore Points (other than the disk space needed)? 30084
  10. Clean install of Win10 Tech Preview - Are There Downsides

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Win10 Tech Preview - Are There Downsides: Hi All, Sorry about the crazy title, I always have issues with coming up with a good headline for these threads. I want to do a clean install on my desktop with the latest Win10 Dev Preview, but I don't want to do this if I'm not going to get the final version when it...