Windows 10: What are the drive requirements for File History?

Discus and support What are the drive requirements for File History? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been trying to set up File History for my father's Windows 10 Home PC. I've attached several HDs via a USB3 port but keep getting "no drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hoosier Daddy, Jul 29, 2020.

1. What are the drive requirements for File History?

I have been trying to set up File History for my father's Windows 10 Home PC. I've attached several HDs via a USB3 port but keep getting "no drives found" when trying to set up file history. Some drives were in a docking station and one (which I most want to use) is a 2TB Fantom (sp?) brand external USB drive. That one is USB2. The drives are always visible in Explorer and can be read and written to. I noticed that the File History service was not running so started it but still no joy.

The only thing I can think of is there is something about all those drives that make them unusable for File History OR something else not enabled on his PC but MS in its infinite wisdom either doesn't publish the requirements or hides them too well for me to find. Likewise web search didn't turn up any hints as to what is wrong.

I don't recall his Windows 10 version number but know it is up to date.

Any ideas?

:)

Hoosier Daddy, Jul 29, 2020
  2. AM*
    Am* Win User

Uber file server build -- suggestions

Uber file server build -- suggestions?

I'm currently in the process of buying stuff for my file server build. Going to try and keep this build all in one thread this time.

Stuff already bought:

• Motherboard (socket 1155 H61)
      RAM (1600MHz)
      PCI SATA cards
      Operating System (Windows 8 + FreeNAS)
      SSD
      CPU (35w Pentium Ivybridge 2.6GHz)
    Looking for suggestions on:

• GPU -- use the on-die GPU or buy a PCI-E graphics card (was thinking of a 7750)? My only requirement is that it is able to run 1080p mkv files and play Blurays without a problem.
      Case -- needs to hold as many 3.5" drives as humanly possible (more than 10 at least), while not being too expensive
      PSU -- needs to be able to run over 40 SATA HDDs as well as 6xPCI RAID cards and 1xPCI-E 2.0 RAID card. Silver, Gold or Platinum?
      CPU Cooler -- fanless or not?
      Case fans
    That's all I can think of for now...unless I'm forgetting something...oh and one more thing -- I will be buying the hard drives two at a time as I run out of space. Also the PCI-E RAID card will be bought a lot later down the line, as I've only just got enough hard drives for 1 out of 6 of my PCI SATA cards.

Any suggestions, feel free to post. Thanks

3. KomouPoji Win User
    how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Jul 29, 2020
  4. What are the drive requirements for File History?

I want to know what files are in what directories on my hard drive

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to help you.

To know which files are in which directory or to know the path of the files, I would suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + E keys together.

• Go to This PC and select C drive.

• Right click on any of the files.

• Select properties and find the location of the file.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

What are the drive requirements for File History?

1. What are the drive requirements for File History? - Similar Threads - are drive requirements

2. File history windows 10 requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File history windows 10 requirements: Hello guys,could you please tell me what are the system requirments for File History on Windows 10?Can a drive that is formated in FAT32 be protected by file history or is it just ntfs drives that can be protected by file history?Thank you...
  3. File history windows 10 requirements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File history windows 10 requirements: Hello guys,could you please tell me what are the system requirments for File History on Windows 10?Can a drive that is formated in FAT32 be protected by file history or is it just ntfs drives that can be protected by file history?Thank you...
  4. File history windows 10 requirements

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  6. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History Drive: I have lost my file history drive , is there anything I can do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/17d5237c-a1a9-4012-8ee9-272fd9f6ae1c
  7. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Drive: I keep getting a Dialog Box saying my File History Drive was disconnected for too long. How do I reconnect it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/442571f2-fe20-44be-8691-d86db17a37d6"
  8. File history drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history drive: I try to do a back-up but keep getting "reconnect file history drive". I use a 64G memory stick but nothing works. HELP?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/34bd6a18-5ded-4c05-81c3-6c41f0b751a4
  9. file history drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  10. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Drive: Hello, Can anyone tell me how to stop a maintenance message"file history drive has been disconnected too long-reconnect drive"from displaying. I only connect my WD Passport drive backup drive once a month and do not need to be be informed that it is disconnected. Thanx...