Windows 10: What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >...

Discus and support What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, My school has intended to upgrading the Windows from Windows 1909 to 20H2. Our school PC settings are as follows: Dell 7050 HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ivan_014, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Ivan_014 Win User

What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >...

Hi Everyone,

My school has intended to upgrading the Windows from Windows 1909 to 20H2. Our school PC settings are as follows:

Dell 7050
    HD Graphics 630

Intel 300 SATA

an external Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 connected

One PCs had been upgraded by using online Update Assistant https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/software-download/windows10 and other using normal Windows Update Settings > click the button "Check for Updates".

Results:

Use Update Assistant

----------------------------

Driver

HD Graphics 630 : 11/04/20 26.20.100.8142

Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1: Microsoft 07/0720 10.0.19041.388

Intel 300 SATA: 10/12/10 17.5.9.1040

Use Windows Update Settings > click the button "Check for Updates"

----------------------------

Driver

HD Graphics 630 : 05/09/20 27.20.100.8681

Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1: Sound Blaster 17/07/20 10.0.18362.997

Intel 300 SATA: 10/12/10 17.5.9.1040 the same as above

Please explain the reason why the driver's version is different. And please recommend which one approach should be used in our case.

Thanks.

Ivan_014

:)

Ivan_014, Jan 7, 2021
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 7, 2021
  3. David Win User
    Difference Between Windows Update and Windows 10 Update Assistant

I was trying to download the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update, and it came to my attention that it requires the Windows 10 Update Assistant, which I know comes with Windows 10, but that I most likely deleted (lol.)

My question is, in the Windows Settings App, under Update and Security, my computer is up to date:

What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >... TddQr.png

However, on the Windows 10 Update Assistant, I had a ton of updates available:

What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >... IeZhA.png

From a logical standpoint, why would Microsoft not integrate the Windows 10 Updates into the settings application or vice versa; getting rid of the Update section of the setting application and having us use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant?

It's very likely that I'm overthinking this, or that I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but I would appreciate any suggestions/guidance.

David, Jan 7, 2021
  4. jbailey8 Win User

What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >...

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

1. What are the main differences between Update Assistant and normal Windows Update Settings >... - Similar Threads - are main differences

2. What is the difference between a genuine Windows update and a cracked Windows update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between a genuine Windows update and a cracked Windows update?: Even when a person installs a cracked Windows OS, he/she still receives the same update as the person who's using a genuine Windows OS. So my question is what's so special about the Windows updates in a genuine Windows OS?...
  3. What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?: I am concerned about the download size. Will there be any difference in download sizes with these tools? submitted by /u/Vinay_K_K [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlw6bi/what_is_the_difference_between_windows_10_update/
  4. What’s the difference between these windows?

What’s the difference between these windows?: Right now I have windows 10 home. But I hear a lot about windows creator update? How do I know if I have this I’m not really sure if this is a whole is version or just an update.? If I don’t have it how do I go about getting it. I’m building a new pc and I’m installing a...
  5. What's the difference between these 2 display settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's the difference between these 2 display settings?: Both of them seem to allow you to make stuff on the screen larger as you can see I like things to be a bit bigger on such a hi-res screen. But what's the actual difference? For example... Would either of them affect viewing a hi-res video, say on Netflix? Would one of...
  6. Whats the difference between windows 10 update assistant and the regular updater in windows 10

Whats the difference between windows 10 update assistant and the regular updater in windows 10: submitted by /u/buyingaspaceship [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dyjosb/whats_the_difference_between_windows_10_update/
  7. WHAT ARE THE REAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NORMAL SLEEP MODE AND DEEP SLEEP MODE IN WINDOWS...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WHAT ARE THE REAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NORMAL SLEEP MODE AND DEEP SLEEP MODE IN WINDOWS...: Can anyone explain the real differences between normal sleep mode and deep sleep mode . Till now in power options only normal sleep mode options are available . answers from own experienced Windows users are welcome...
  8. What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade

in Windows 10 News
    What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade: [ATTACH] When it comes to Windows OS, Update and Upgrade terms may be confusing to some. Every time Microsoft rolls out a set of new features, many of us think its an upgrade while it could have been an update only. [...] This post What is the difference between Windows...
  9. Difference between academic iso and normal windows 10 iso?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Difference between academic iso and normal windows 10 iso?: What is the difference between the academic iso and the normal windows iso off the official Microsoft website, I have an educational product key but I find it works in both versions. 119171
  10. What's the difference between Windows system settings from the Manufacturer of the laptop...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What's the difference between Windows system settings from the Manufacturer of the laptop...: Why would the pc run slower after downgrading a subscription and the windows defender now states its blocked access to controlled folders? Also, the PC Manufacturer apps running in the background request a windows BIOS update is critical and once performed, one should NEVER...