Windows 10: What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?

Discus and support What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? OS on my PC is OEM. Have to replace its motherboard. What do I have provide to Microsoft for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Chuenmon, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Chuenmon Win User

What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?

What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? OS on my PC is OEM. Have to replace its motherboard. What do I have provide to Microsoft for reactivating the OS? Thank you.

:)

Chuenmon, Nov 28, 2021
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Nov 28, 2021
  3. theonedub Win User

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think its going to ask you for a key. If anything it will ask you to reactivate, which you can do online, or at the worse- over the phone. Should be no issue.

I have changed MBs in the past (and been too lazy for a fresh install) and Windows Vista and 7 RC updated the drivers and did not even require reactivation.

theonedub, Nov 28, 2021
  4. kg4icg Win User

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Nov 28, 2021
Thema:

1. What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? - Similar Threads - are requirements reactivating

2. what are the system specifications required for the Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what are the system specifications required for the Windows 11: Hello, I have Dell inspiron 14 3000 with intel I3 10th generation ,what are the system specifications required for the Windows 11 to install....
  3. What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?: What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? OS on my PC is OEM. Have to replace its motherboard. What do I have provide to Microsoft for reactivating the OS? Thank you....
  4. What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the requirements for reactivating Windows?: What are the requirements for reactivating Windows? OS on my PC is OEM. Have to replace its motherboard. What do I have provide to Microsoft for reactivating the OS? Thank you....
  5. What CMD Prompt is required?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What CMD Prompt is required?: I will quickly set the scene as an example. I have a non-OS 500gb HDD, I have done some house tidying and deleted 300gb of data no longer required. The intention is to give the HDD to someone with the remaining data left in tact. However I want to make sure the data I have...
  6. What's with requiring a microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What's with requiring a microsoft account?: Right. I just bought an Acer Aspire TC. For reason when I began set up Windows required me to log into my microsoft account as well as set up a pin. What gives? How can I get rid to ms account? I already found how to kill the pin....
  7. What are the requirements for Nearby Sharing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are the requirements for Nearby Sharing?: My desktop computer has no Bluetooth but is connected to my WiFi router via an Ethernet cable. Why doesn't Nearby Sharing appear in settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-the-requirements-for-nearby-sharing/7e2bd1b7-63ae-4c1d-8f47-39b48c40de71
  8. Desktop requires reactivation of Windows 10 repeatedly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop requires reactivation of Windows 10 repeatedly: I upgraded my desk top from Windows XP to Windows 10 when w 10 first became available a few years ago. I understand that I have a digital license. Lately when I get on the computer I get the same message "Activate Windows by going to settings". I run the troubleshoot and...
  9. What are the system requirements to use Windows Hello?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What are the system requirements to use Windows Hello?: I have seen variations of this question, but never the actual question. Moreover, I have not seen a single "helpful" reply out of well over a thousand responses. I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro. It is up-to-date and it has a build-in high-def working camera that it...
  10. What Requirements are Required for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Requirements are Required for Windows 10?: Does anyone know what the requirements are for Windows 10? 3657