Windows 10: What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM?

Discus and support What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; RAM is an essential component of a computer. It is a volatile memory that stores all the CPU calculations required to run an app or software. If RAM is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 15, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM?

RAM is an essential component of a computer. It is a volatile memory that stores all the CPU calculations required to run an app or software. If RAM is damaged, you cannot run your computer. There are some signs that indicate the system’s RAM is dying. This post lists some common symptoms of RAM failure.

What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? faulty-RAM-symptoms.png

What are the signs of RAM failure?

The following signs indicate that your computer’s RAM needs attention:

1. Decreasing performance.
    2. Random restarts.
    3. Frequent BSOD errors.
    4. The computer displays incorrect RAM.
    5. Video Card fails to load.
    1] Decreasing performance

Decreasing system performance is one of the most common faulty RAM symptoms. If you find that your computer runs perfectly when you first power it ON but with time, it becomes slower, you may have faulty RAM. But, there are other factors too that affect the performance of a system, like a misbehaving program, running multiple heavy software that require more RAM, etc.

So, how can you identify whether your RAM is healthy or not? If most of the apps or software installed on your computer crash frequently or take more time to load, you may have faulty RAM. In addition to this, you will also experience some other issues.

2] Random restarts

When your computer restarts randomly without any warning message, your RAM may be faulty. However, the computer also restarts randomly when the hard drive is damaged. But if you know that your hard drive is healthy and your computer is restarting frequently, especially after your desktop is initialized, it is a sign of bad RAM.

3] Frequent BSOD errors

A BSOD error occurs due to a corrupted software or faulty hardware. Therefore, it is not always an indication of bad RAM. Let’s understand it with an example. When you get a BSOD error every time you launch a particular software, it is likely that the software is triggering the error rather than hardware. But if you notice that your system crashes too often, especially when you try to install a new app or software, your RAM may be damaged.

4] The amount of RAM is displayed incorrectly

One of the symptoms of RAM failure is the system displays less RAM than it actually has. You can easily check how much RAM is installed on your system, but the process may differ for different Windows versions. In the case of faulty RAM, your system will display less memory than it actually has.

5] Video Card fails to load

You might have heard a beep sound when turning your computer ON. A single beep sound on starting a computer indicates that it has recognized the Video card successfully. But if your computer fails to load the Video card, you will not hear such a beep sound. You will also get a warning message in this case. The cause for this issue is either a defective system’s RAM or Video Card.

Read: Windows Memory Dump Settings on Windows 10.

How to check if RAM is faulty?

If you experience the above problems, your system’s RAM may have malfunctioned. But nothing can be said without a proper diagnosis. The following methods will help you diagnose the problem:

1. Clean the RAM and insert it again.
    2. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.
    1] Clean the RAM and re-insert it

A dirty or corroded RAM also causes many errors in a computer. Hence, if your system is showing the signs of bad RAM, the first step that you should take is to remove it from the slot and see whether it is dirty or not. If you find it dirty or corroded, clean it. You can use isopropyl alcohol to remove the corrosion.

Now, insert it again and check whether you get the above problems again or not.

2] Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool

Windows 10 comes with a built-in Memory Diagnostic tool. This tool checks the system’s RAM for errors.

To launch this tool, go to “Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Windows Memory Diagnostic.” Double-click on it to run. You will get a prompt message on your screen. Select “Restart now and check for problems.”

The process will take some time. After completion, your system will be restarted automatically. The result of the memory diagnosis will be available in Windows Event Viewer after the scanning gets completed. Hence, you can do another task (if you have) rather than watching the test.

Follow the below-listed steps to view the RAM check report in Event Viewer.

What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? signs-of-RAM-failure.png

1. Type Event Viewer in the Windows search and click on the app to launch it.
    2. Expand the “Windows Logs” section on the left side and click on the “System.” Wait till the Event Viewer loads all Windows logs.
    3. Click on the “Find” option on the right side. A popup window will appear.
    4. Type “MemoryDiagnostic” in that window and click “Find Next.” It will show you the result of the memory diagnosis.

That’s it. Let us know if you have any questions.

Read next: Computer Beep Codes list and their meaning.

What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? faulty-RAM-symptoms.png
    This article What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 15, 2021
  2. gkhokie Win User

Kernel security check failure after ram upgrade

I just experienced the same problem with a Sony Vaio running Win10. I replaced the 4Gb of RAM with 8Gb of RAM. The RAM is matched to the MB. On boot Windows starts initially and then defaults to error screen with Kernel Security Check Failure. Setup correctly
    identifies the 8Gb of RAM. This must be a Microsoft security feature to prevent motherboard upgrades. Any suggestions short of re-installing Windows?

I replaced my Win10 hard drive with my old Win7 hard drive and everything boots up successfully. This would confirm that the problem is with Windows 10 and not the new RAM.

gkhokie, May 15, 2021
  3. Kernel security check failure after ram upgrade

Hi all,

I have an Acer Aspire 5742G, Windows 10, i5-480M and 2x2Gb DDR3 Ram memory.

Yesterday I was upgrading my ram to 2x4Gb, the ram should be fine and matching with the previous one, supported my motherboard up to 8Gb. But when I started my computer, after the BIOS it appears the error "Kernel security check failure", and after that
    the system just keeps on rebooting, so eventually I had to power off with the button. I also tried to open the BIOS, and the new RAM is read over there, it appears I have 8Gb.

Then I just downgraded to the previous RAM and the system is working just fine after a scan to check for errors.

What could it be the problem? Do you have any suggestions? I have seen other few episodes of this type in other forums online, but they were quite old and with no answers.

Thanks!

DexterMorgan1086, May 15, 2021
  4. haam Win User

KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE after upgrading RAM

I have just tried to upgrade the RAM on my laptop from 2x 2gb to 2x4gb.

when I install the RAM and boot start the computer I get the "KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE" message.

I have gone into the bios and it seems to recognize the new ram as it shows the computer as having 8gb of RAM but when booting up the failure screen comes up just after the windows logo fist appears.

I have replaced the old RAM back in and it seems to start up fine.

any ideas of what I could do to fix this issue?

I have updated from Win 7 to Win 10 a few weeks ago, the computer was working fine with it and still is when the old RAM is put back in. not sure if this might be related.

Thanks

Thema:

1. What are the signs of RAM failure and how to check faulty RAM? - Similar Threads - are signs RAM

2. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?: Hello So i had a question early about a my windows 10 being corrupt spent the last couple of hours fiddling with my pc and got to the stage where i realise 4 sticks of ram breaks my pc causing me bluescreens and infinite boot loops. Tried it with 1 stick 2 stick and 3 sticks...
  3. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?: Hello So i had a question early about a my windows 10 being corrupt spent the last couple of hours fiddling with my pc and got to the stage where i realise 4 sticks of ram breaks my pc causing me bluescreens and infinite boot loops. Tried it with 1 stick 2 stick and 3 sticks...
  4. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Memory Issues? Faulty Ram? No Idea

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Issues? Faulty Ram? No Idea: I have been having massive issues regarding a Bluescreen that will not stop appearing. It only started recently and has been growing more and more frequent over time. The Bluescreen before this had a similar problem, but different Parameters. I worry every time a new...
  6. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  7. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  8. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Is my RAM incompatible or faulty?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my RAM incompatible or faulty?: Never mind, I'm being dumb. 148969
  10. Question about faulty ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about faulty ram: My laptop has been freezing randomly lately and I've been trying to find the cause of the freezes. I've ran HP diagnostics a few times and one test came back as: [img] But the all the other times It passed and I also ran memtest last night which showed 0 errors? Can a RAM...