Windows 10: What are these files?

Discus and support What are these files? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have noticed (and been aware of these type of files for some time) which reside in C:\Users\My Name. There are 26 files which were created on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by noels7, Apr 9, 2016.

1. noels7 Win User

What are these files?

Hi

I have noticed (and been aware of these type of files for some time) which reside in C:\Users\My Name.
    There are 26 files which were created on 15 Nov 2015, 16,18 Dec 2015, 19,29 Jan 2016,
    23,27 Feb 2016, and 3,27 March 2016. I have checked and all but 16 Dec,19,29 Jan and
    23,27 Feb seem to coincide with Window update history.

The types of files are:
    NTUSER.DAT{62e13463-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TxR.0.regtrans-ms (1.0MB)
    NTUSER.DAT{62e13463-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TxR.blf (64.0 KB)
    NTUSER.DAT{c80858a3-a3d7-11e5-bedd-408d5c50477f}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms (512 KB)

The numbers in brackets are different for each date grouping.
    What is the function of these files, are they indeed related to windows update by coincidence and could they be safely deleted?

I am pretty sure there were only a handful of these files in Win7 and when I originally changed over to Win 10 in July 2015 (approx).

Any advice/assistance on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Noel Southam

:)

noels7, Apr 9, 2016
  2. alex80386 Win User

What Are These Files?

I've looked at my N8 and there are some similar named files in C: and E: drive. As mentioned by mathew, the .cfg files would be holding some configuration data and so it would be unwise to delete them. If you check the file details they are very small anyway.
    The .txt files might contain some useful data in case some troubleshooting is needed and these are quite small also.

In the case of E:\AUTORUN.INF it appears that the E: drive contains some version of Nokia Ovi Suite, so when you connect you phone via USB for the first time it might be possible to install Ovi Suite that way. Of course it will be an old version of Ovi Suite,
    so perhaps not very useful anymore

In my E: drive there is:

AUTORUN.INF

Install_Nokia_Ovi_Suite.exe

Plus a folder:

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_install_files

The AUTORUN.INF itself doesn't take much space, but the other files used to install Ovi Suite do. If you are really short of space on the E: drive you might wish to consider making a backup of all those files first then deleting the Ovi Suite install files.

In the case of C: drive if you are short of space, look for media files under C: drive folders for
    Images Sounds and
    Videos and consider moving some of those to E: drive. In addition there are sometimes applications installed to C: that don't need to be in C: and can be uninstalled and then installed to the E: drive.

The other small files you mention appear to be normal and I'd recommend not deleting them.

alex80386, Apr 9, 2016
  3. elie7 Win User
    What are these apps?

don't forget that the theme may have special icons, or the user is a hacker that knows how to change icons, so facebook, might be facebrick, the facebook client from the devels, and youtube may be zoutube .......

elie7, Apr 9, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

What are these files?

Those files are associated with the user portion of the registry. Do not attempt to delete them.

LMiller7, Apr 9, 2016
  5. Hello noels7 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

LMiller7 is quite correct that you do not want to remove those "NT USER DATA" type log files seen right above the recorded registry entries which those are as well as the ntuser.ini file. That is the user account initiator file that is seen right below the 10 installers record of the user account created either during the upgrade from previous version or when seeing a clean install of Windows 10.

If you still have the Windows.old folder on the drive you will find them for the previous version's installation in the "Windows.old\users\user account folder" as well. During any upgrade or clean install all that information is immediately backed up in case the new install is later reversed. You always want to safeguard those.files!

Night Hawk, Apr 9, 2016
  6. noels7 Win User
    Hi LMiller 7 and Night Hawk

Many thanks for your responses to my questions. Appreciated.
    I now understand the importance of these files.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7, Apr 9, 2016
  7. It never hurts to ask in order to be on the safe side. *Smile

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What are these files?

1. What are these files? - Similar Threads - are files

2. Can't login to my 1T premium onedrive and can't see my data under files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to my 1T premium onedrive and can't see my data under files: I purchased 1T premium account and have been using it since a year ago without issue.I cannot suddenly access to my data in either in onedrive app on my moble phone or on laptops. I have registered my company Onedrive account and my personal onedrive. Company onedrive is...
  3. Can't login to my 1T premium onedrive and can't see my data under files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't login to my 1T premium onedrive and can't see my data under files: I purchased 1T premium account and have been using it since a year ago without issue.I cannot suddenly access to my data in either in onedrive app on my moble phone or on laptops. I have registered my company Onedrive account and my personal onedrive. Company onedrive is...
  4. i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop. when i insert it in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop. when i insert it in the...: Hello, one day i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop, through a data cable. But when i insert it in the laptop usb port it is not detecting it. But when i connect the data cable through a usb hub it detect my phone. What is the problem. I even installed...
  5. i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop. when i insert it in the...

i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop. when i insert it in the...: Hello, one day i am trying to send files from my android phone to my laptop, through a data cable. But when i insert it in the laptop usb port it is not detecting it. But when i connect the data cable through a usb hub it detect my phone. What is the problem. I even installed...
  6. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  7. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  8. i cant play ts files in widows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant play ts files in widows 11: i cant play ts video files on windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-ts-files-in-widows-11/1bb71497-40c3-4546-b752-6abe5480763c
  9. i cant play ts files in widows 11

i cant play ts files in widows 11: i cant play ts video files on windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-ts-files-in-widows-11/1bb71497-40c3-4546-b752-6abe5480763c
  10. Struggling to decrypt files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling to decrypt files: I have some important files which are encrypted on an external hard drive. I encrypted them while using an old work Microsoft account which I have temporary access to. I've signed into the account on my computer but the files are still encrypted. Any ideas? I have a short...