Windows 10: What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

Discus and support What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Runtime Broker Windows Shell Experience Host Search wsappx ntoskrnl The abovementioned apps, along with several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AdamJason, Nov 30, 2018.

1. AdamJason Win User

What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Runtime Broker
    Windows Shell Experience Host
    Search
    wsappx
    ntoskrnl

The abovementioned apps, along with several other Microsoft processes, frequently slow down my computer, using 100% of my cpu, memory, or hard drive depending on the app.
    No more, no less, 100%.
    All of these processes are only actively destroying my job as an animator when I'm connected to the internet. When the laptop is offline, there are no problems.

The second I open task manager, the offender usually pipes down and stops using all the resources it can get its greedy fingers on.
    This has been happening since I bought my laptop in June, and while I've found fixes by scanning through thousands upon thousands of forums with process specific issues, I have never encountered a solution when multiple apps are causing issues.
    That being said, most of the solutions available on forums are not truly fixes, many people report that even after a clean boot, the offenders continue causing problems.

I have used Windows Defender, Bitdefender Total Security, Spybot S&D and the terrible Avast pack that initially came with the laptop at different times, online AND offline, to thoroughly scan and check my computer for any sorts of viruses. There is no trace of anything suspicious at all, this computer is clean.

My question is this : Why are these apps using high resource values in the background, avoiding me the second I open task manager to check on them? Why are they only happening when I'm connected to the internet?

This feels awfully malicious and I want to understand rather than immediately jump to conclusions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current system :
    Asus FX503VD Laptop
    Intel Core-i5 8th gen kaby-lake cpu, base frequency 2.4GHz
    7200rpm 1 TB HDD
    8GB default DDR4 RAM
    Intergrated graphics card
    Nvidia GTX 1050 OC edition

:)

AdamJason, Nov 30, 2018

2. windows 10 goes to 100% on the hard drive memory and cpu

The system goes into a run away and the only way to stop it is a hard shutdown with the power button. I have run a complete virus scan, run a memory diagnostic, run a hard drive diag, looked at task manager for run away processes or services and I don't
    see anything unusual except processor, memory and disk go to 100%. Help

James Capehart, Nov 30, 2018
  3. CPU Usage 100% and idle process is 100%

My CPU usage shows permanently 100% in task manager (in "Processes" tab) even my system idle process (in "Details" tab) is almost 100% and the CPU runs hot - fan is permanently on - CPU speed (in "Performance" tab) is always a bit above maximum speed!!!
    McAfee doen't show any virus problem. HP Spectre.

OttoFluder, Nov 30, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

hard drive is at 100% all the time

Hi andrewgetz1 ,

If you mean your hard drive is at 100% access all the time:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)

Click on the Disk Column Header so the arrow faces down

What processes are now at the top of the processes list?

DaveM121, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for? - Similar Threads - are Microsoft processes

2. Hidden process uses 100% of CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden process uses 100% of CPU: I left my laptop for some time and when went back on it while it was blacked out but not asleep, I heard loud fan noise. I quickly opened task manager and found a process called "CPU process" then it immediately closed, and the fan noise disappeared. That process was using...
  3. Hidden process uses 100% of CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden process uses 100% of CPU: I left my laptop for some time and when went back on it while it was blacked out but not asleep, I heard loud fan noise. I quickly opened task manager and found a process called "CPU process" then it immediately closed, and the fan noise disappeared. That process was using...
  4. system process using CPU 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system process using CPU 100%: while the laptop is working perfectly fine, suddenly system starts to lag and when open task manager there is a process named system hogging all the cpu and al 8cores, 16 LP are running at 100% utilization and their is no end to it, had to force restart my laptop....
  5. system process using CPU 100%

system process using CPU 100%: while the laptop is working perfectly fine, suddenly system starts to lag and when open task manager there is a process named system hogging all the cpu and al 8cores, 16 LP are running at 100% utilization and their is no end to it, had to force restart my laptop....
  6. What is the reason for 100% CPU Memory Disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the reason for 100% CPU Memory Disk?: Hi,I have Lenovo Laptop Ideapad 330 with following specs:Processor AMD A9-9425 3.10 GHzRam 4GB 64 BitHDD 1TBFrom 11th month of this laptop purchase the task manager started showing 100% CPU Memory Disk usage because of which laptop responding very slowly to start or to open...
  7. What is the reason for 100% CPU Memory Disk?

What is the reason for 100% CPU Memory Disk?: Hi,I have Lenovo Laptop Ideapad 330 with following specs:Processor AMD A9-9425 3.10 GHzRam 4GB 64 BitHDD 1TBFrom 11th month of this laptop purchase the task manager started showing 100% CPU Memory Disk usage because of which laptop responding very slowly to start or to open...
  8. What this python process and it is using my CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What this python process and it is using my CPU: Yesterday after udating to 21H1 January Cumulative Update i seen this process in my task manager and it used 50%CPU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-this-python-process-and-it-is-using-my-cpu/6fa7adcb-88b0-48ea-9066-888722565e3e
  9. What this python process and it is using my CPU

What this python process and it is using my CPU: Yesterday after udating to 21H1 January Cumulative Update i seen this process in my task manager and it used 50%CPU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-this-python-process-and-it-is-using-my-cpu/6fa7adcb-88b0-48ea-9066-888722565e3e
  10. What this python process and it is using my CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onaccess scanning mcafee high cpu usage 100%