Windows 10: What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

Discus and support What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Runtime Broker Windows Shell Experience Host Search wsappx ntoskrnl The abovementioned apps, along with several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AdamJason, Nov 30, 2018.

1. AdamJason Win User

What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Runtime Broker
    Windows Shell Experience Host
    Search
    wsappx
    ntoskrnl

The abovementioned apps, along with several other Microsoft processes, frequently slow down my computer, using 100% of my cpu, memory, or hard drive depending on the app.
    No more, no less, 100%.
    All of these processes are only actively destroying my job as an animator when I'm connected to the internet. When the laptop is offline, there are no problems.

The second I open task manager, the offender usually pipes down and stops using all the resources it can get its greedy fingers on.
    This has been happening since I bought my laptop in June, and while I've found fixes by scanning through thousands upon thousands of forums with process specific issues, I have never encountered a solution when multiple apps are causing issues.
    That being said, most of the solutions available on forums are not truly fixes, many people report that even after a clean boot, the offenders continue causing problems.

I have used Windows Defender, Bitdefender Total Security, Spybot S&D and the terrible Avast pack that initially came with the laptop at different times, online AND offline, to thoroughly scan and check my computer for any sorts of viruses. There is no trace of anything suspicious at all, this computer is clean.

My question is this : Why are these apps using high resource values in the background, avoiding me the second I open task manager to check on them? Why are they only happening when I'm connected to the internet?

This feels awfully malicious and I want to understand rather than immediately jump to conclusions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current system :
    Asus FX503VD Laptop
    Intel Core-i5 8th gen kaby-lake cpu, base frequency 2.4GHz
    7200rpm 1 TB HDD
    8GB default DDR4 RAM
    Intergrated graphics card
    Nvidia GTX 1050 OC edition

:)

AdamJason, Nov 30, 2018

2. windows 10 goes to 100% on the hard drive memory and cpu

The system goes into a run away and the only way to stop it is a hard shutdown with the power button. I have run a complete virus scan, run a memory diagnostic, run a hard drive diag, looked at task manager for run away processes or services and I don't
    see anything unusual except processor, memory and disk go to 100%. Help

James Capehart, Nov 30, 2018
  3. CPU Usage 100% and idle process is 100%

My CPU usage shows permanently 100% in task manager (in "Processes" tab) even my system idle process (in "Details" tab) is almost 100% and the CPU runs hot - fan is permanently on - CPU speed (in "Performance" tab) is always a bit above maximum speed!!!
    McAfee doen't show any virus problem. HP Spectre.

OttoFluder, Nov 30, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for?

hard drive is at 100% all the time

Hi andrewgetz1 ,

If you mean your hard drive is at 100% access all the time:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)

Click on the Disk Column Header so the arrow faces down

What processes are now at the top of the processes list?

DaveM121, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. What are these Microsoft processes often using 100% of my CPU, memory and hard drive for? - Similar Threads - are Microsoft processes

2. My hard drive is at 100% usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My hard drive is at 100% usage: I tried everything online to fix it... i even reinstalled windows. What is causing this to happen? Its not constantly at 100%, but it goes up when i do basically anything, and at startup. Its causing my pc to slow down tremendously. Please help. submitted by...
  3. CPU/Memory/Disk Usage at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU/Memory/Disk Usage at 100%: Whenever I run any program on my laptop, my disk usage, along with CPU and memory usage shoot up to 100%. Even without running any programs, task manager still shows them operating at around 60-70%. I have tried every other online solution with no success whatsoever....
  4. W10 1903 in VM hanging with System Process using 100% of CPU

W10 1903 in VM hanging with System Process using 100% of CPU: So, it's taken me a while to track down exactly what process was causing this. I've attached the first evidence I've found as to what process is causing this problem. This is a virtual Windows 10 Pro 1903 installation on a Server Datacenter 2016 Hyper-V host. Around 3...
  5. CPU at 100% due to System idle process

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CPU at 100% due to System idle process: I'm wondering why my CPU workload stays always at 95-100% due to System idle process. I can hear the fan spinning at max speed, and it's pretty annoying. Sorry for the italian language in the screenshot. What could be the cause? [ATTACH]...
  6. Are my hard drives supposed to use Microsoft drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are my hard drives supposed to use Microsoft drivers: Just curious about something. I noticed in device manager that my hard drives are all using Microsoft drivers. I do have the latest firmware installed for them. The manufacturer's website does not have any drivers listed for the drives. Maybe this is just how it is, but I was...
  7. In windows 10 the hard drive are always in 100% use!

In windows 10 the hard drive are always in 100% use!: Cordial greeting, I have windows 10 v 1809 updated to the date of this publication running on a MSI GL63, and the verad is the worst version of the OS that I have used since the disk always remains between 90 and 100% of use. just move the pointer and go up to 100, something...
  8. Is it 100% certain my hard drive is failing?

Is it 100% certain my hard drive is failing?: Windows freezes when it boots. It has gotten worse the past few times. Shorter and shorter times before it freezes. It freezes at the Desktop every time after automatic login. Ran chkdsk c:/r and receiving the following message repeatedly. The disk does not have enough...
  9. what is the usefulness of 3.5" hard drive?

what is the usefulness of 3.5" hard drive?: when 2.5" hard drive is more compacted and nice why there are still 3.5" hard drive, what is the reason of using 3.5" instead of 2.5" nowadays. Does 3.5" have longer average lifespan? 100942
  10. System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory: Several problems are happening. I don’t know if the extent to which they are related but here they are: Earlier today, I attempted, but failed, to install the latest update for the AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC). In one place, a message said that it had installed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onaccess scanning mcafee high cpu usage 100%