Windows 10: What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them?

Discus and support What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]The devices running on Windows operating systems have a folder in the C directory, named System32. It contains the files that are crucial for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 7, 2022.

1. WinClub New Member

What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them?

What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? What-are-tw-tmp-folders.png
    The devices running on Windows operating systems have a folder in the C directory, named System32. It contains the files that are crucial for the functioning of a Windows operating system. You can access the System32 folder in your C drive but you should never delete any of the files and folders it contains, as […]

This article What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 7, 2022

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 7, 2022
  3. S Malik Win User
    "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders

I get lots of "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders into C:\Windows\Temp
    Any idea what these are?

Attachment 230556

S Malik, Apr 7, 2022
  4. trauner Win User

"tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders

I know that I am late, but I just stumbled via web search over the posting. This described exactly the observation I made while controlling the content of my TEMP folder. After a little testing (I modified the LOGON task to allow run on demand, then started the task manually, waited some 90 secs and boom: there where another "tw-*****.tmp" folders in my TEMP folder) I decided to beat the system with its own tools.

First of all, you have to launch taskschd.msc of course.
    I modified the task under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Management > Provisioning > Logon a little bit further in this way:
    1. I added another action under the original line %windir%\system32\ProvTool.exe /turn 5 /source LogonIdleTask, leaving the first line and its task unmodified. The new line reads %windir%\System32\cscript.exe //nologo c:\vbscript\deleteemptyfolders.vbs %windir%\temp 10. For this you have to click on Properties of the Logon task and select the Actions tab. On this you can click on New to add a new action.
    2. In c:\vbscript (or any directory of your choice, you have to change the path above accordingly) you place the script deleteemptyfolders.vbs (see below). This means that you put the %windir%\System32\cscript.exe part of the line in then field Program/script and the //nologo c:\vbscript\deleteemptyfolders.vbs %windir%\temp 10 part in the field Add arguments (optional):.
    3. After doing so you can close the dialog with OK.
    Result: See picture (apology for only having a german version screenshot).

What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? [​IMG]

Now, this is only the half way. Now you need the script, which is following here:
    Code:
    If you now start the modified task Logon again, and watch your TEMP folder some 90 seconds, you should notice the generation of our "tw-*****.tmp" folders in TEMP folder and – after the given 10 seconds – those "tw-*****.tmp" folders should be gone again. Proof of concept.

Of course you can lower the waiting time back to 3 seconds as described in the script – it's cosmetics. And also you now can reset the checkbox Allow a task to be run on demand on the SETTINGS tab back to unchecked.

With this setting the ominous "tw-*****.tmp" folders should be out of your sight. After the next Windows upgrade you very likely have to reset this task again like described above.

I hope this to be helpful not only to me. Thank you all for your research that made this posting possible. Cheers!

trauner, Apr 7, 2022
Thema:

1. What are tw tmp folders in System32 folder and Can I delete them? - Similar Threads - are tmp folders

2. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  3. What is IExp1.tmp? Can I delete it?

What is IExp1.tmp? Can I delete it?: Using Windows 10 Pro - I have a 10 GB folder with 10,000 files named IExp1.tmp dated 7-15-2021. What is this? Can I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-iexp1tmp-can-i-delete-it/2e88108b-0381-4d4e-be0e-dd8ab7edd8a6
  4. What is the "TMP" folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  5. What is the "TMP" folder?

What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  6. What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?: I have multiple tw-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx.tmp folders inC:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local folder.They contain 299 files, 6,295 folders with a size of 34.4 MB. Most of the folders are tmp's such as tw-1b18-21dc-dfb5a.tmp. The ones I have checked have 0 bytes This...
  7. What is this folder? Can i delete it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this folder? Can i delete it?: https://i.imgur.com/klnclim.png https://i.imgur.com/lsuNZhP.png https://i.imgur.com/Gm4PrKc.png https://i.imgur.com/kQiVIk5.png The name of the folder is just a jumble of words and letters submitted by /u/VernabR [link] [comments]...
  8. What are these folders and can I delete them?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are these folders and can I delete them?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MisMuNimiOn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hed2gh/what_are_these_folders_and_can_i_delete_them/
  9. "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders

in Windows 10 Support
    "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders: I get lots of "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders into C:\Windows\Temp Any idea what these are? [img] 130824
  10. Cannot delete tmp folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete tmp folders: Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command prompt with:net user...