Windows 10: "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

Discus and support "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, On windows 7, there used to be this menu that would come up anytime you plugged something into the 3.5 mm audio jack, asking you if it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AlexAllen277, Mar 15, 2020.

1. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

Hello all,

On windows 7, there used to be this menu that would come up anytime you plugged something into the 3.5 mm audio jack, asking you if it was a headphone, line in, etc. This seems to be missing from Windows10 - how can I enable this, or something similar?

I record old records into audacity and I do this by having one end of the aux cord in the headphone jack in the stereo system, and the other end into the 3.5mm outlet in the laptop, and this system has worked reliably in all other laptops I've had.

But this HP seems to omit any settings whatsoever when it comes to connecting a line into the machine. I've been through audio settings, i've been through device and autoplay settings, I've tried downloading older drivers (error codes galore) I've tried the Waves Max Audio pro (that at least recognizes that something has been plugged in, but on my HP notebook it won't give any ability to change that device.)

All I need is for this machine to recognize that there's a separate line in option to feed it into audacity... for two decades this hasn't been too much to ask, but now it is.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/AlexAllen277
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AlexAllen277, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Jonatino Win User

Rear audio ports always show as “Not plugged in”

I've been having this issue with Windows for about a week now which NONE of the back panel/front panel connectors (speakers, microphone) are being recognized by Realtek audio manager. The only audio input/outputs that are showing are the optical.
    Troubling shooting steps I've tried (none worked):

• COMPLETELY uninstall all Realtek drivers/reinstall
    • Tried using windows drivers
    • Reinstall Windows 10
    • Upgraded chipset driver
    • sfc /scannow
    I called EVGA and asked for RMA but then I booted into a Ubuntu OS and all the ports work FINE. It must be a problem with windows 10.
    Can you think of any other troubling shooting step I can try to fix this annoying issue? Thanks!
    Screenshot of playback devices:

"What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing... [​IMG]

Screenshot of Realtek HD Audio Manager:

After looking in Device Manager under Audio inputs and outputs, I don't see any speaker/microphone listings, only the optical crap:

Jonatino, Mar 15, 2020
  3. xBruce88x Win User
    WinTV-1800 Pass through Audio?

let me look up that model of the card and see what i can find out.

edit: their site really sux... no real information about the hardware. If I found the right one, your's has two RCA connectors near the bottom of the card. I'm guessing this is the Line-In feature for this card.

this is the best I can think of... (assuming windows 7 properly detects the hardware's line in)

Step One: Plug in the audio from the PS3 to the RCA on the tuner
    Step Two: Right click the speaker icon near the clock on the start menu and select "Recording Devices"
    Step Three: Look for anything listed that relates to your TV tuner's Line-In, make sure it is enabled. When it says its "Ready" right click on it and select "Properties"
    Step Four: Click the "Listen" tab
    Step Five: place a check in "Listen to this device" and in the dropdown menu under that select your speakers for the playback.
    Step six: Play a game and test the audio... If its working Enjoy!
    Optional step... go back to step three, when the properties box comes up click the "Levels" tab. Here you can adjust the input volume of the device

Hope this helps, and that it lets you do so

edit: should you decide to get an adapter for the rca, these steps are pretty much the same for the line in on your sound card.

xBruce88x, Mar 15, 2020
  4. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

Numerous audio devices - why?

Looks like you have audio drivers installed for your AMD card. If you don't use it, you should be able to just uninstall that aspect of AMD drivers. I don't use the Audio through my Nvidia card, so I just don't install that driver.

Or, just ignore them as you suggest.

neatfeatguy, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

"What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

1. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing... - Similar Threads - Audio Device Did

2. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  3. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  4. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up: I have gotten the popup before but I accidentally set my headset to heaphones so now i cant use the microphone on them and I cannot change it...
  6. How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up: I have gotten the popup before but I accidentally set my headset to heaphones so now i cant use the microphone on them and I cannot change it...
  7. How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up

8. RealTek "which device did you plug in?"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RealTek "which device did you plug in?": whenever i plug in my headset it asks this question which is fine, but the problem is that i am using a headset that has a mic. Basically i have to pick between being able to talk to people without me hearing them or me being able to hear them but they cant hear me. there...
  9. RealTek "which device did you plug in?"

RealTek "which device did you plug in?": whenever i plug in my headset it asks this question which is fine, but the problem is that i am using a headset that has a mic. Basically i have to pick between being able to talk to people without me hearing them or me being able to hear them but they cant hear me. there...
  10. 'what device did you just plug in' popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    'what device did you just plug in' popup: Hello, In the past I had used headphones (no microphone) with my windows 10 laptop. Back then a popup would come up saying 'what device have you plugged in' every time I plugged them into the jack. However I clicked the 'do not display' icon so now when I want to use my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. which device did you plug in prompt