Windows 10: What can be causing dwm.exe to crash?

Discus and support What can be causing dwm.exe to crash? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; dwm.exe keeps crashing whenever Im playing a game. It always happens after some time and usually happens when I have a web browser open on my other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by dmYC, Dec 22, 2018.

1. dmYC Win User

What can be causing dwm.exe to crash?

dwm.exe keeps crashing whenever Im playing a game. It always happens after some time and usually happens when I have a web browser open on my other screen.
    I first tried clean reinstall of drivers, then I tried cleaning out and reseating my gpu, then I tried a clean driver rollback, Several days of more attempts later and I finally did a full clean install of windows.

It is still happening.

dwm.exe still crashes regularly with no way to avoid it.

(Yes it has also crashed when ONLY the game was open and yes it has happened with several different games)

What could possibly be causing it?

specs:

Motherboard: Z170A M5

CPU: i5-660

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 16GB

PSU: 750W

:)

2. W1zzard Win User

GPU-Z 0.7.5 causing crashes on load up

Any chance you could narrow it down to which running application causes GPU-Z to crash? Ideally steps to reproduce for me here.

W1zzard, Dec 22, 2018
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Dec 22, 2018
  4. What can be causing dwm.exe to crash?

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

What can be causing dwm.exe to crash?

1. What can be causing dwm.exe to crash? - Similar Threads - causing dwm exe

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. DWM keeps on crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM keeps on crashing: It's been happening for a few days..but now the intensity has increased. Earlier, I didn't know why it happened but today a pop-up came and told me that dwm is crashing. I have windows 11Please help me with this....
  5. DWM keeps on crashing

DWM keeps on crashing: It's been happening for a few days..but now the intensity has increased. Earlier, I didn't know why it happened but today a pop-up came and told me that dwm is crashing. I have windows 11Please help me with this....
  6. What is causing dwm to crash?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is causing dwm to crash?: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  7. What is causing dwm to crash?

What is causing dwm to crash?: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  8. what would cause a computer to crash when an .exe is launched?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what would cause a computer to crash when an .exe is launched?: it keeps giving me random blue screen errors each time it crashes when a .exe is downloaded,bootrec was enough of a sledgehammer to the side to get it stable, though didn't resolve the issue. it also isn't allowing me to use the recovery option to install the system &...
  9. what would cause a computer to crash when an .exe is launched?

what would cause a computer to crash when an .exe is launched?: it keeps giving me random blue screen errors each time it crashes when a .exe is downloaded,bootrec was enough of a sledgehammer to the side to get it stable, though didn't resolve the issue. it also isn't allowing me to use the recovery option to install the system &...
  10. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe causing computer crash

2. dwm.exe crash

3. faulting application name: dwm.exe version

4. dwm crash windows 10,
  5. Dwm.exe crashes