Windows 10: What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh...

Discus and support What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As I use the computer through the day it seems to take up tons of space. A newly installed Windows 10 installation with Adobe Cloud, and a few programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/buzlink, Sep 27, 2020.

1. What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh...

As I use the computer through the day it seems to take up tons of space. A newly installed Windows 10 installation with Adobe Cloud, and a few programs is ballooned and taken up 230 GB of drive space. What can I check that is causing this?

submitted by /u/buzlink
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/buzlink, Sep 27, 2020
  2. Joan Pin Win User

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Sep 27, 2020
  3. last free disk space after defrag in windows 10had

HI Joshua,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about free storage space after performing disk defragmentation and disk clean. Do not worry, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that the disk defragmentation might have taken up hard drive space if there are errors on the drive.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to scan for the shadow storage created on your device as this might be consuming the free storage space.

Follow:

• Log-in as an administrator.
    • Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Type vssadmin list shadowstorage into the command prompt

• The results should tell you the amount of storage used and the maximum amount allotted.

• Type vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=[your hard disk]: /On=[your hard disk]: /MaxSize=[how much space you want to allocate]

• You should get a message saying successfully resized the shadow copy storage association, and you should have more free space on your hard drive.

You may run a scan disk command to remove the bad sectors from the hard drive and then run disk cleanup and check if it works.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    Run check disk (chkdsk)
    and check if it helps.

Chkdsk: The
    Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    • You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).
    • Press Y key on the keyboard and press
      Enter key.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 27, 2020
  4. A_S00 Win User

What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh...

How can I free up space taken up by an incomplete Microsoft Store download?

Found the solution. Steps I used to fix this:

1. Open the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder, which is where the Windows Store puts its downloads. The WindowsApps folder isn't permissioned to normal users, so this has to be done using some utility that's being run as administrator (either a command prompt window, or some other file manager like 7zip; h/t ManSamVampire for the 7zip suggestion). DO NOT assign ownership of the WindowsApps folder to your own user account to gain access to it, as doing so will cause major problems and can't be easily undone (h/t Ramhound's answer for this warning).
    2. Sort the subfolders inside WindowsApps by the date they were last modified; this will let you easily find the folders that have recently had new stuff put into them.
    3. In my case, the offending subfolder was called MSIXVC, which is apparently a type of installer used by the Windows Store. Inside, I had an anomalous 37GB file created last night with no file extension, called "8BBF2763-A1C6-4F1B-96CA-B79DD5FDA4EE". Given that this file was enormous, created at the right time, and in a subfolder suggesting it was an installer, I concluded that this was the droid I was looking for.
    4. From within your run-as-administrator utility, delete the offending file. I deleted the ginormous, bafflingly-named file from the MSIXVC folder, and lo and behold I had all my disk space back!

Now redownloading and installing Outer Worlds. This time I'll know better than to turn off my computer partway through.

A_S00, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh...

1. What can cause enormous amounts of disk space to be taken up with no reason on fresh... - Similar Threads - cause enormous amounts

2. Process named "System" takes enormous amounts of disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process named "System" takes enormous amounts of disk usage: This just appeared out of the blue while I was playing a game, and I've been noticing that I have been experiencing more stutters than anticipated, I know I don't have that much memory with me 8 GB but when I checked out the Task Manager, it showed up that a process named...
  3. Process named "System" takes enormous amounts of disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process named "System" takes enormous amounts of disk usage: This just appeared out of the blue while I was playing a game, and I've been noticing that I have been experiencing more stutters than anticipated, I know I don't have that much memory with me 8 GB but when I checked out the Task Manager, it showed up that a process named...
  4. Disk space at 100% for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk space at 100% for no reason: recently my disk space has been maxed at 100%. sometimes it gets maxed by something like system but most of the time there's nothing there to make it max. also at the moment my computer is updating and it is taking forever to update. but don't tell me the update is making it...
  5. Free Disk Space being taken up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free Disk Space being taken up: Hello, I recently got a new laptop with one terabyte of space, well, exactly 952 GB.I've installed all of my steam games, which were alot of gigabytes, but not too much, I only installed like 200 GB of steam games, and then, few weeks of just doing random stuff on my laptop,...
  6. Free Disk Space being taken up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free Disk Space being taken up: Hello, I recently got a new laptop with one terabyte of space, well, exactly 952 GB.I've installed all of my steam games, which were alot of gigabytes, but not too much, I only installed like 200 GB of steam games, and then, few weeks of just doing random stuff on my laptop,...
  7. Free Disk Space being taken up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. 20 GB of space being taken up for no reason.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    20 GB of space being taken up for no reason.: After updating my System Firmware drivers, about 20 GB of space was taken up under Apps and Features for no apparent reason. I have not installed any new apps since updating the drivers, so I have no idea how such a large amount of space was suddenly used up....
  9. "Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!

"Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!: I have a 512GB SSD and I went to delete some file as I have ~40GB left and realized that the "Users" folder was taking up over 300GB of disk space! I went through the folder and nothing using that much space showed up... How do I fix this? I really need space as I am a video...
  10. SSD's space being taken up for no reason

SSD's space being taken up for no reason: Hi, I'm having a problem. Every day, my SSD fills up with 3 or more GB when I haven't even installed anything in ages; the only thing I'm doing is updating steam games which aren't even on my C drive, they are on my D drive.<br />For example, yesterday I had 360GB free, but...