Windows 10: What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?

Discus and support What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I try to keep my boot SSD HD lean. I have Win updates disabled until I want to update. I have as many things as I can find to prevent any kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GerryPeters, Jun 4, 2019.

1. What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?

I try to keep my boot SSD HD lean. I have Win updates disabled until I want to update. I have as many things as I can find to prevent any kind of tampering with my computer by MS or anyone. I am connected to the internet, since I need to be.

I make a lot of image files of my C drive. Lately I've noticed unusual sizes of my images that are unexplained. For instance I reverted to a 29 Gig image, did some minor changes and made a new image file that was 43 gigs. I reinstalled Acronis and did some more images which are even larger 55 gigs.

So I reverted back to the 29 gig image and saw that my C drive was 50 gigs. The reason it's larger than the image is because when I make an image file it is compressed., so it's about half the size (similar to a zip file)

I rebooted and all of a sudden my C drive was 59 gigs. I didn't make any changes, just rebooted. How can my C drive bloat like that?

If I can answer this question, I may be able to find out why I'm getting considerably larger image files. Equally strange is a few hours later with the computer inactive it reduced back down to 50 gigs. My page file is about 2.5 gigs. I'm baffled. Any ideas?

:)

GerryPeters, Jun 4, 2019

2. C: drive losing space as we speak

I am running windows 10 home and I had to do a reset recently and since then, my hard drive C: is losing space at an incredible rate, 108 gigs since last night, it says I have 0 space left, so I deleted or moved up to 20 gig to a separate partition, which
    gave me 20 gig on c: drive, within 20 minutes I am down to 8 gig. I used malwarebyte and it found all ok, I ran antivirus and cleaners and it showed the same, I`m at a loss as to whats going on. Anyone have and idea or similar story, i would appreciate the
    input.

JosephLevac, Jun 4, 2019
  3. OS update caused Windows-10 to lock up after 20-30 minutes

An OS update from about a week or two ago caused headphone audio out to go dead (even though the control panel does see the signal) AND Windows-10 locks up after 20-30 minutes, regardless of activity. Need suggestions for resolving these issues.

Crunch3c58, Jun 4, 2019
  4. What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?

Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?

1. What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes? - Similar Threads - cause drive bloat

2. What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?: Hey,My pc was built about a month ago and I have had no issues until now. I have gone through all the steps I know when it comes to troubleshooting software. I didn’t get anywhere so I decided to wipe the pc and redownload windows from a boot drive. It is still restarting...
  3. What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?: Hey,My pc was built about a month ago and I have had no issues until now. I have gone through all the steps I know when it comes to troubleshooting software. I didn’t get anywhere so I decided to wipe the pc and redownload windows from a boot drive. It is still restarting...
  4. computer has 20 gigs of app data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer has 20 gigs of app data: computer has 20 gigs of app data.how can I delete some of it?thanks *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-has-20-gigs-of-app-data/5c523dfe-4b8b-4d52-889c-409896dac702
  5. What are these few files on the top in the drive (C:) ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are these few files on the top in the drive (C:) ?: [ATTACH] Is it safe to delete those files ? https://preview.redd.it/j7xjdz57dhh61.png?width=878&format=png&auto=webp&s=6c2bbabf3ea4c119a49a120b8025d933bddced3e submitted by /u/TechieNikhil [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows Update to 2004 failed and left 20 gigs of files on my hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update to 2004 failed and left 20 gigs of files on my hard drive: I have two computers that I updated from ver 1909 to 2004. The first computer updated easily and I noticed that the update needed approximately 7 gigs of space to complete. However, the second computer failed to update with a Blue Screen at about 86% complete. Once I rebooted...
  7. Invisible bloat filling my C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invisible bloat filling my C drive: After a complete windows reinstall using a usb install method I found out that my main SSD is nearly completely filled up.[ATTACH] but all visible files account for only 33 GB. [ATTACH]I already tried to find the missing files using wiztree and windirstat but no luck there...
  8. 20 gigs of space hidden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20 gigs of space hidden: I went to my C drive and I selected everything and all of it adds up to about 62 gigs, but there's 85 gigs of used space on the hard drive. Trying to free up some space so where the heck are the 20 gigs that aren't even being shown on the hard drive? submitted by /u/Nifty52...
  9. What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What can cause my C drive to bloat 10-20 Gigs in a few minutes?: I try to keep my boot SSD HD lean. I have Win updates disabled until I want to update. I have as many things as I can find to prevent any kind of tampering with my computer by MS or anyone. I am connected to the internet, since I need to be. I make a lot of image files of...
  10. onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes: onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes Help..makes my laptop unusable please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/onedrive-on-bootup-causes-100-disk-usage-for-10-20/66a39529-ed8b-4336-8970-a487d7b99b7d