Windows 10: What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...

Discus and support What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Downloads is the worst folder for the bad behavior, but that's likely because I usually have quite a few files there. Sometimes I've had to wait as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kizzume Fowler, Feb 5, 2019.

1. What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...

Downloads is the worst folder for the bad behavior, but that's likely because I usually have quite a few files there. Sometimes I've had to wait as long as two minutes just to properly view the contents. It's all about waiting for the green progress bar.

I often find myself either downloading files multiple times, or going to the Downloads tab in Chrome, because in Chrome, I can select "Show In Folder" and it will instantly show me the file without having to wait for anything, but if I dare to go to the Downloads folder using Explorer/File Manager, I have to wait for the green progress bar to finish before I'm able to see the files in an order that makes any sense.

Some people refer to this as "the green progress bar of death", and I can understand why.

Is there anything that can be done about this other than having fewer than 20 files in the folder? This behavior has been standard in Windows since Vista, though it did seem to get even slower under 7.

XP never had this issue, the Mac doesn't have this issue, Linux doesn't have this issue, I can use a command prompt in Windows and instantly view the files that way (which is pretty antiquated if you ask me), but if I use Explorer to go to the folder, I have to wait for the green progress bar unless I'd been to that folder within the past hour or so.

It's almost as if windows has to completely rebuild a database for all the thumbnails every time I go to the folder (or something, I really have no clue, I'm just grasping at straws trying to guess), and yet, it still doesn't properly show the thumbnails until I've had them on the screen for a few moments.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

Kizzume Fowler, Feb 5, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

Hi,

One possible cause why your Documents folder suddenly moved to Downloads folder due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes aside from connecting to your university network?
    • Did you get any error messages when you tried to move it back?
    • Does this happen with Documents folder only or with other folders also?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Feb 5, 2019
  4. kma54 Win User

What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...

windows 10 folder documents show as empty!

In my folders the documents are listed as empty - please help with steps to change the way they are opened?

kma54, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...

1. What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show... - Similar Threads - primary folders Documents

2. How can I reset "User folders" documents, downloads,... etc to their default arrange and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I reset "User folders" documents, downloads,... etc to their default arrange and...: I try to change my user folders from C:\Users to D:\user_folder so they appeared in same folder and got all the same name .. could you help me to reset them as they located when it was a new user without lost my data .thank you...
  3. How can I reset "User folders" documents, downloads,... etc to their default arrange and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reset "User folders" documents, downloads,... etc to their default arrange and...: I try to change my user folders from C:\Users to D:\user_folder so they appeared in same folder and got all the same name .. could you help me to reset them as they located when it was a new user without lost my data .thank you...
  4. How can I reset "User folders" documents, downloads,... etc to their default arrange and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?: Hello! I started making games in Unity and I want to create a system folder called "Games". I created one in my "C:/Users/(myname)/" folder, and found out how to change the icon (here's a pic). Kind of obsessive, I know, but is there any way to make it have a folder as part...
  6. Lost music, picture, documents, etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost music, picture, documents, etc.: Went to work on my computer, but when I turned it on, I found an error stating I needed a disk to hard boot it! I was able to get to order of start up and got the computer to work, and everything was there 10 days ago. Yesterday, it was gone...everything. All the folders were...
  7. Windows 10 is showing duplicate folders for Downloads, Documents, Images, Music, etc.

Windows 10 is showing duplicate folders for Downloads, Documents, Images, Music, etc.: Hello, I am reposting a question about duplicate Windows library folders because the original question is locked and I can't reply to it anymore. The original question and respective replies can be found in this link:...
  8. Windows 10 is showing duplicate folders for Downloads, Documents, Images, Music, etc.

Windows 10 is showing duplicate folders for Downloads, Documents, Images, Music, etc.: Hello, A few weeks ago I installed a SSD on my computer and transfered everything I had on my old HDD to the SSD, including Windows 10. The new drive is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB and I used the software Samsung Data Migration to do the transfer, as recommended by...
  9. How can I reset "User folders" ( documents, downloads,... etc) to their default arrange and...

How can I reset "User folders" ( documents, downloads,... etc) to their default arrange and...: I try to change my user folders from C:\Users to D:\user_folder so they appeared in same folder and got all the same name .. could you help me to reset them as they located when it was a new user without lost my data . thank you...
  10. How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?: I plan on having an SSD for the OS and a separate hard drive for programs/documents, music, etc. What I don't know is how exactly to change the directory for my Documents, music, videos, pictures, downloads libraries. Can anyone explain how to do this? This is for Windows...