Windows 10: What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't...

Discus and support What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As a developer I don't want to hide system files so that the desktop.ini shortcuts are hidden, but equally I don't want shortcuts to ini files that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WinUserette, Sep 25, 2018.

1. What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't...

As a developer I don't want to hide system files so that the desktop.ini shortcuts are hidden, but equally I don't want shortcuts to ini files that I don't need cluttering up my desktop. What can I do to prevent them keep being recreated.....and why on earth are they there in the first place!?? Surely it's got to be REALLY rare (almost never) that anyone wants a shortcut to these files and if, in some rare scenario, a person wanted them, they could easily create the shortcuts themselves. Obviously it would make sense for a few people to do that rather than millions of other people having to either put up with them or going in and hiding system files. What were you thinking Microsoft??

:)

WinUserette, Sep 25, 2018

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 25, 2018
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Sep 25, 2018
  4. SaraTee Win User

What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't...

Create desktop shortcuts to websites with Edge

If I'm shopping away in IE and create a shortcut to that webpage on the desktop from IE, if I haven't cleared my cache, it remembers the stuff in my cart for the IE shortcut (for as long as the cookie is good, not just a shopping cart but other similar pages).
    I can't do this in Edge unless I create a Favorite for it IN Edge. Then there is no nice quick link from my desktop, I have to open Edge and select the Favorite. Used this many times with IE desktop links when Black Friday shopping.

Point is it's annoying because Microsoft wants Edge to be the default browser but then the Microsoft employee on here responds with the suggestion to send it to IE to create a Desktop shortcut. I'm using Edge on my Android phone and I can send a shortcut
    for a webpage to the Android Launcher - but I can't do the same with Edge on my Windows 10 computer?

It is a very basic task that should not require multiple steps of opening another application to create a desktop shortcut is the point I think of the OP.

SaraTee, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't...

1. What can I do to prevent shortcuts to desktop.ini being created on my desktop if I don't... - Similar Threads - prevent shortcuts desktop

2. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  3. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  4. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  5. Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?: Hi there,Is it possible to prevent desktop shortcuts from automatically being created when installing a new app? Old Windows versions provided that option during installation but I haven't seen it so far for anything I've installed. Preferably I would like to be able to set...
  6. Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?

Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?: Hi there,Is it possible to prevent desktop shortcuts from automatically being created when installing a new app? Old Windows versions provided that option during installation but I haven't seen it so far for anything I've installed. Preferably I would like to be able to set...
  7. How can I create a shortcut to desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I create a shortcut to desktop?: A new version of Windows 10 has no way to create shortcuts to my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-shortcut-to-desktop/f34335b0-ea8d-42f5-b9ad-e0b25646d620
  8. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  9. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  10. How do I create a camera app shortcut on the desktop?

How do I create a camera app shortcut on the desktop?: Instead of pinning the camera app to the taskbar, I'd like it to be a desktop shortcut, but there is no right-click option for that, and I can't find where the camera app folder is located in Windows 10. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! 44664