Windows 10: What can you actually do once you link an Android phone?

Discus and support What can you actually do once you link an Android phone? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So has anybody gotten really into the "link phone" feature and want to share what this actually allows you to do? I finally updated to the Fall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wintercat, Jan 3, 2018.

1. wintercat Win User

What can you actually do once you link an Android phone?

So has anybody gotten really into the "link phone" feature and want to share what this actually allows you to do? I finally updated to the Fall Creators Update today. I'd been pretty interested for a while after hearing rumors that it allows you to control your PC from your phone and stuff like that. So far, it seems like these rumors were overblown, but a little research has made me aware of the "Continue on PC" and "Cloud Clipboard" features.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like these features don't actually have anything to do with linking the system clipboards of your devices and instead let you link between Microsoft only apps like Word and the Swiftkey keyboard on your phone. I find the concept really cool. I use Google Now and Chrome a lot on my phone. I wouldn't mind being able to open an article I'm reading on my PC for later reading. If I could copy a link on my phone and be able to paste it into something like Discord on my PC so I could share an article or Youtube video, or do the reverse and copy a link on my PC and then paste it into a text message on my phone, that would be really cool. And I've always wanted to use my phone to control my PC from my bed in a non-jank way.

Is any of this actually possible or are all the new features from 1709 just prodding from Microsoft to use their browser and other apps on your various devices?

:)

wintercat, Jan 3, 2018
  2. deadkenny Win User

What do product codes actually tell you?

Yes, this is correct. Product codes can vary by colour also.

Product codes just distinguish the different 'variant' of phones Nokia makes. For every individual different version, even if they have the same hardware, there is a product code.

To complicate matters, every product code technically has it's own firmware. Though in practical terms many share the firmware, but there may still be little differences in settings that are applied with the firmware, for regional, country, operator and
    even contractual differences. Because of this, firmware is not always released uniformly for all variants and you can end up with some phones on newer firmware than others.

Then there are model differences, which is usually where there's a hardware difference.

deadkenny, Jan 3, 2018
  3. tanz1987 Win User
    What do product codes actually tell you?

kokeropie: I'm aware that different colors of the same model sometimes have different product codes.

tanz1987, Jan 3, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

I've started to see more connectivity between my phone and PC with the FCU features. Here are a few of the things I now have:

Text messages and other messages (e.g. WhatsApp) which I receive on my phone also appear as notifications on my PC so I do not have to use my phone to read them, I can also reply via the notification popup as well.

Using Microsoft Edge on my Android phone allows me to send any page I am reading on my phone to my desktop for later follow-up. I find this very useful.

I use Cortana on my PC to set up reminders for appointments and tasks, these also appear on Cortana on my phone so even when I am away from my PC I get the reminders.

I think these are the three main benefits I enjoy on a daily basis.

philc43, Jan 3, 2018
Thema:

1. What can you actually do once you link an Android phone? - Similar Threads - actually once link

2. Can you use Phone Link in landscape view?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you use Phone Link in landscape view?: I am just wondering if it is possible to view Android apps in landscape orientation on my PC using the Phone Link app. I searched for a bit and could not figure out how to do this or find any reference to landscape view online. My PC runs Windows 11 and I am connecting a...
  3. Can you use Phone Link in landscape view?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you use Phone Link in landscape view?: I am just wondering if it is possible to view Android apps in landscape orientation on my PC using the Phone Link app. I searched for a bit and could not figure out how to do this or find any reference to landscape view online. My PC runs Windows 11 and I am connecting a...
  4. Can you add timestamps to Phone Link?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you add timestamps to Phone Link?: I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting to add timestamps. From what I can find there isn't. Just wondering if someone can confirm or deny this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-add-timestamps-to-phone-link/bb1e7712-5b76-4f0a-8f21-fa52c35447cc
  5. Can you add timestamps to Phone Link?

Can you add timestamps to Phone Link?: I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting to add timestamps. From what I can find there isn't. Just wondering if someone can confirm or deny this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-add-timestamps-to-phone-link/bb1e7712-5b76-4f0a-8f21-fa52c35447cc
  6. Phone Link - it's not you it's us error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link - it's not you it's us error: I have been getting the "it's not you it's us" error message for phone link on Windows 10 when trying to set it up for over a week now. Anyone know the problem and could it actually be me some how? If there is a way to reach customer service chat that could help I am willing...
  7. Phone Link - it's not you it's us error

Phone Link - it's not you it's us error: I have been getting the "it's not you it's us" error message for phone link on Windows 10 when trying to set it up for over a week now. Anyone know the problem and could it actually be me some how? If there is a way to reach customer service chat that could help I am willing...
  8. If you have a rooted phone, you can remove "Link to Windows" and install "Your phone" from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If you have a rooted phone, you can remove "Link to Windows" and install "Your phone" from...: Just a heads up with this. If your phone is rooted you can uninstall the insultingly useless "Link to Windows" app, you will not only gain a large amount of addressable memory back by doing this, if you want functionality back sans the laughable screen control you can just...
  9. If you have a rooted phone, you can remove "Link to Windows" and install "Your phone" from...

If you have a rooted phone, you can remove "Link to Windows" and install "Your phone" from...: Just a heads up with this. If your phone is rooted you can uninstall the insultingly useless "Link to Windows" app, you will not only gain a large amount of addressable memory back by doing this, if you want functionality back sans the laughable screen control you can just...
  10. What Android Emulators do you recommend?

What Android Emulators do you recommend?: I would need an Android Emulator, that runs Lollipop or above, and runs decent on "bad" computers (You can check my specs for that). There are a few that I already tried and they failed, sadly they are the only ones that I know of right now. Here they are: - Memu: Really...