Windows 10: What causes a corrupted profile

Discus and support What causes a corrupted profile in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I had to fix yet another customers corrupted profile today. While there is plenty of advice on a fix, I cannot find any clue as to what causes it in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by utsbrodie, Aug 6, 2020.

1. utsbrodie Win User

What causes a corrupted profile

I had to fix yet another customers corrupted profile today.

While there is plenty of advice on a fix, I cannot find any clue as to what causes it in the first place.

Is it just Microsoft "being helpful" or is there some underlying issue that could be addressed.

All the machines I have had to fix over the last year or so, run Windows Security and Malwarebytes Premium. All had the latest Windows version at the time.

:)

utsbrodie, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Good luck with that.

I have a half dozen machines, plus at least the same again as VMs. I have never yet seen a corrupt profile. My longest serving machine has a profile that was migrated from Windows 7 back in 2015 and has survived every version upgrade since then, up to and including 2004.

While I have yet to experience a corrupt profile, I could suggest looking for a common factor. For example, were they all Microsoft Accounts? Perhaps an error in syncing corrupted them? All my accounts are local accounts, if that's any help.

Bree, Aug 6, 2020
  3. utsbrodie Win User

I had to fix yet another customers corrupted profile today.

While there is plenty of advice on a fix, I cannot find any clue as to what causes it in the first place.

Is it just Microsoft "being helpful" or is there some underlying issue that could be addressed.

All the machines I have had to fix over the last year or so, run Windows Security and Malwarebytes Premium. All had the latest Windows version at the time.

utsbrodie, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Jonas Flo Win User

Corrupted User Profile

Hi,

There maybe a couple of reasons behind this misbehavior such as a corrupted system file. However, we would like to be able to verify which process exactly is corrupted.

• When you install, does it give you any form of error message when it fails?
    • What other processes doesn't go through on the said User account?

As per troubleshooting, you may refer to
    Likhitha V
    's response on this thread. See if it applies to you. However,
    just to give you a heads up. The steps are about creating a new user profile and deleting the current one. I suggest you back up your files so you may be able to transfer it. You can also find information about it on the same thread.

We'll be waiting for your response. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. What causes a corrupted profile - Similar Threads - causes corrupted profile

2. Potentially Corrupt User Profile Win11 causes programs to not start?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially Corrupt User Profile Win11 causes programs to not start?: When I first got my PC with Windows 11 Home, I found that the user profile name was the first five characters of my email address. Dissatisfied with this, I looked up how to change it with the registry editor since regular renaming wasn't an option. I then ran into the issue...
  3. Potentially Corrupt User Profile Win11 causes programs to not start?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Potentially Corrupt User Profile Win11 causes programs to not start?: When I first got my PC with Windows 11 Home, I found that the user profile name was the first five characters of my email address. Dissatisfied with this, I looked up how to change it with the registry editor since regular renaming wasn't an option. I then ran into the issue...
  4. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  5. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  6. Corrupt profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupt profile: so i was holding the power button on my laptop to force my computer to shot down while window is signing in and the next time i turned my computer on, it say the window cant sign in my profile and i have to use a alternative profile which will lost everything i did after i...
  7. What causes a corrupted profile

in Windows 10 Support
    What causes a corrupted profile: I had to fix yet another customers corrupted profile today. While there is plenty of advice on a fix, I cannot find any clue as to what causes it in the first place. Is it just Microsoft "being helpful" or is there some underlying issue that could be addressed. All the...
  8. "Corrupted" profile?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Corrupted" profile?: I have a piece of hardware that works fine when plugged into one my profile users, but when it connects to the other user it doesnt work the same way!. I dont know what to do. I could use the other profile but I have some data there wich I like to keep handy, is there a way...
  9. Corrupted Profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted Profile: This morning, I tried signing into my computer to find out my profile had been corrupted, is there anyway I can get my files from that profile back? submitted by /u/Motorsport_Fanatic_7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv7as9/corrupted_profile/
  10. Profile corrupted?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Profile corrupted?: On booting, my Desktop and Taskbar have become almost empty. Start has lost almost all of its tiles, some are blacked out. The Store cannot be accessed. Most icons which remained or which I re-created do not launch their app or file. A few which work look like their app has...