Windows 10: What causes malfunctioning Start Menu Button in Windows?

Discus and support What causes malfunctioning Start Menu Button in Windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This has been an ongoing problem in nearly every fresh install of Windows 10 and nearly every major update of the OS. The Start Menu Button will do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thelps, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Thelps Win User

What causes malfunctioning Start Menu Button in Windows?

This has been an ongoing problem in nearly every fresh install of Windows 10 and nearly every major update of the OS.

The Start Menu Button will do nothing when clicked (both right-click and left-click). It fails to display the Start Menu.

What causes this error?

I'm aware most answers will be along the lines of "Microsoft's patches are in an imperfect state when released and don't always demonstrate compatibility with the wide variety of configurations and third-party programs found on many of their implementations".

Could anyone provide a more in-depth answer as to the suspected causes of this error?

This would go a long way to assisting me in gaining an insight into what is causing this error. Most search-engine research just yields 'fixes' that don't always work and don't necessarily explain much as to what they're doing.

:)

Thelps, Jan 31, 2018

2. start menu malfunctioning

Hi DarleneKindred,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

To guide you in right direction we want to know:

• Have you installed all the updates on your computer?
    • Since when are you facing this issue?
    • What changes have you made to your computer?

I suggest you to follow the suggestion provided byPaulSey… on August 21, 2015in the following link:

Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Please refer the below link:

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Jan 31, 2018
  3. start menu malfunctioning

I can't access the start menu. When I click on it a box pops up stating, Critical Error...Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Well this has been going on for a while. How can I correct/fix it?

DarleneKindred, Jan 31, 2018
  4. hiphopper Win User

I assume the mouse works fine everywhere other than the Start button. Does the Windows key on your keyboard open the start menu properly?

Who is the manufacturer of your mouse? Does it have special Windows drivers?

What fixes have worked for you?

More information would help us get to the root cause.

hiphopper, Jan 31, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    Callender, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What causes malfunctioning Start Menu Button in Windows? - Similar Threads - causes malfunctioning Start

2. Start Menu Buttons not responsive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu Buttons not responsive: Hi Community,I had this issue before and now it comes back again. So here's the issue:This issue only occurs when my PC wakes up I normally put it to sleep instead of turning off. The buttons on the menu bar that related to Win10 system becomes not responsive. For example, I...
  3. Windows Start Menu Button Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu Button Not Working: Hello, I updated my computer last night and now the start menu/taskbar is not working. I have tried a couple of things that have been suggested with no luck. The windows button on my computer also does not open the start menu which makes it hard to do certain fixes suggested....
  4. Start Menu Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Button: My Start Menu button will not leave the corner even when I am in full screen on some other program [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/c5a7c99c-090b-4c74-a246-a01a05a75bf8
  5. start menu button.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start menu button.: when I press start menu button the apps are all over the screen and theres no list of programs. Its a new laptop days old acer aspire 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/cd973177-9c07-41bc-9018-11f19c89242c
  6. Start menu button size

Start menu button size: How do I change the size of the menu buttons in the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button-size/9aea2aec-bd37-4def-845b-0b01d1631434
  7. Windows start menu/button and Wifi menu NOT WORKING

Windows start menu/button and Wifi menu NOT WORKING: Since 2 days I have problems with my Laptop, This consists of not being able to use the '' windows start menu '' and the Wifi menu (being able to select networks / SSID ''.) The Windows start button on the keyboard works with combinations as Start + L for lock and Win + E for...
  8. Start menu button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu button not working: Hello guys , i am runing windows 10 PRO x64, from time to time , i can't find a pattern , the start menu button decides not to work at all, i click it , nothing happens , i hit windows key on my keyboard , nothing happens. The solution is windows explorer process restart. Can...
  9. start menu malfunction

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu malfunction: hi to all from Mally;Ok i just upgraded to win 10 from win 7 two days ago;it was a longish process but all went well until yesterday when the bottom left start button wouldn,t open.After reading a lot of comments from various forums I have come to the conclusion that cleaning...
  10. Windows Start Button/Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Button/Start menu not working: When I click on the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen nothing happens. I've re-booted, restored and via Powershell I've tried the 'Get - Appx package etc' that has been suggested in a number of places on the Web. None of that has worked. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what causes wdows botto malfuct o phome