Windows 10: What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?

Discus and support What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, So I've got some pinned icons on my Win 10 taskbar, such as Chrome, Notepad++, file explorer etc. I go to change the Chrome icon and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?

Hey,
    So I've got some pinned icons on my Win 10 taskbar, such as Chrome, Notepad++, file explorer etc.

I go to change the Chrome icon and it doesn't change on the taskbar like it did with W7. But sometime later, unsure when, could have been after a restart or after waking up from sleep or just a time period later, it finally changed to the icon that I'd chosen.

I did this to file explorer as well and some time later it finally changed to the icon that I've chosen for it.

1. Why is there this delay?
    2. What if anything can I do to avoid the delay and get the icons to change immediately as they did with Windows 7?

Thanks

:)

Traijan, Aug 16, 2015

2. Changing the font on the desktop icons to the default setting

How do I change the font on the desktop icons to the default setting

DavidHirson, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Changing the font on the desktop icons to the default setting

Hi David,

For you to restore default font settings, type Fonts on the search bar and click on
    Enter > Font Settings > Restore default font settings >
    OK.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Aug 16, 2015
  4. What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?

Can you tell more about that, when the icon not change, what color is it ? And how long it take to change and also some information about your PC because I know it depend on your hardware than software

phamthanhnhan, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Traijan Win User
    It seems that it takes hours or more for it to finally get around to changing. The icon that I'm talking about is the standard Google Chrome icon, I change it to one of the alternative Chrome icons that are located in the chrome exe file and it doesn't change instantly like it does in Windows 7. As I said, it could be changing after a reboot, or after coming out of sleep, or just maybe 2 hours or 24 hours later for all I know.

It's not a color change, it's using an alternative icon for the pinned programs on the taskbar in Windows 10 that is a problem.

My system specs are located in "My System Specs" listed on each of my posts.

Honestly, if changing a pinned program icon on my taskbar is more dependent on my hardware than the software then Microsoft has got a long way to go in optimizing Windows 10 as my hardware is more than capable of doing such a menial task when it can run most of today's and yesterday's games at 60+ fps.

Traijan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?

1. What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar? - Similar Threads - causes delay changing

2. whats this icon on the taskbar ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whats this icon on the taskbar ?: hi, whats that icon on the taskbar? it disappears when scroll over it. occasionally pops upabit worried that it might be some sort of spy or pc monitoringhow to check what it is? thanks...
  3. whats this icon on the taskbar ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    whats this icon on the taskbar ?: hi, whats that icon on the taskbar? it disappears when scroll over it. occasionally pops upabit worried that it might be some sort of spy or pc monitoringhow to check what it is? thanks...
  4. whats this icon on the taskbar ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    whats this icon on the taskbar ?: hi, whats that red icon on my taskbar? it disappears when scroll over it. occasionally pops up in the taskbar abit worried that it might be some sort of spy or pc monitoringhow to check what it is? thanks...
  5. icons delayed

icons delayed: Hi so when I right click and refresh it takes almost 2 to 3 seconds for icons to re-appear. I tried using run maintenance defragment even SFC and DISM tool I know that 2 to 3 seconds is not that much but my laptop is fairly new and I'm kinda worried. Thanks...
  6. Taskbar icons not changing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not changing.: Over a year ago I downloaded some icons for my taskbar. I had to download the icons, and then change the icon through windows, and then run the Reset Icon Cache tweak in Winaero Tweaker to actually get the icons to change. However, I decided to finally change it up, and now...
  7. Icons on taskbar What's this?

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on taskbar What's this?: When I hover my cursor over the taskbar icons for Firefox and Thunderbird, I get a pop-up that says "Mozilla Thunderbird (2). Does this suggest that there are two instances of TBird loaded or running?--I can't find them. 146010
  8. Delay in background change in Taskbar when Taskbar is set Transparent

Delay in background change in Taskbar when Taskbar is set Transparent: With the background set to slide show the background theme changes on the taskbar about 1 second after it changes on the rest of the screen. Can it be syncronized so they change at the same time? ***Modified title from: Windows 10 Transparent taskbar background change***...
  9. Taskbar clock system icon sleep delay glitch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar clock system icon sleep delay glitch?: This is a new one, only my clock/date system icon does not show up for a few seconds when I resume from sleep but it displays immediately when resuming from hibernation or restart. The blank placeholder on the taskbar is there just no digits. All the other taskbar icons...
  10. Changing taskbar icons?

Changing taskbar icons?: hey everyone new to this forum and windows in general (i come from a mac and than linux background). I was wondering if its possible to change somehow the firefox and spotify icons to match those of the default windows task bar icons so it looks more uniform? in linux...