Windows 10: What CMD Prompt is required?

Discus and support What CMD Prompt is required? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I will quickly set the scene as an example. I have a non-OS 500gb HDD, I have done some house tidying and deleted 300gb of data no longer required. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jaylob4, May 4, 2021.

1. Jaylob4 Win User

What CMD Prompt is required?

I will quickly set the scene as an example. I have a non-OS 500gb HDD, I have done some house tidying and deleted 300gb of data no longer required. The intention is to give the HDD to someone with the remaining data left in tact. However I want to make sure the data I have deleted can't be recovered, I want to overwrite the space left by the deletion without harming/overwriting the remaining data. There was a CMD prompt that did just this, it wasn't DiskPart/Clean or Clean All, what CMD prompt was it, I can't remember? In the days of Win 7, I used it a couple of times.

:)

Jaylob4, May 4, 2021

2. What CMD Prompt is required?

Hello @Jaylob4,

The CMD Prompt option I think you are referring to is cipher /w:x [ Where x is the Drive Letter ] . . .

> How to Securely Wipe the Free Space on Your Windows PC

When I have performed this in the past, I have always used CCleaner. There is an option to wipe FREE Space using various degrees of Deletion . . .

What CMD Prompt is required? [​IMG]

What CMD Prompt is required? [​IMG]

I hope this helps.

Paul Black, May 4, 2021
  3. BoPilot Win User
    Low ping from cmd prompt high ping in game

Now the ping times are normal again 35ms-38ms cmd prompt 41ms from pingtest site. Just tested it 20min ago with 0 bandwidth usage on the router's monitor and got 35-38ms cmd prompt 160-350ms from 3 different ping test sites. As far as I can tell its completely random, the cmd prompt latency numbers are always same.

I can live with this, I have for a long time now. I just want to make some sense of it.

BoPilot, May 4, 2021
  4. Jaylob4 Win User

I will quickly set the scene as an example.

I have a non-OS 500gb HDD, I have done some house tidying and deleted 300gb of data no longer required.

The intention is to give the HDD to someone with the remaining data left in tact.

However I want to make sure the data I have deleted can't be recovered, I want to overwrite the space left by the deletion without harming/overwriting the remaining data.

There was a CMD prompt that did just this, it wasn't DiskPart/Clean or Clean All, what CMD prompt was it, I can't remember?

In the days of Win 7, I used it a couple of times.

Jaylob4, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. What CMD Prompt is required? - Similar Threads - CMD Prompt required

2. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD prompt: My user account is KENNETH\Local Account\Administrator.When I try to use CMD and open as administrator, it does not open as system32, but shows C:\Users\Administrator.Help please....
  3. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD prompt: My user account is KENNETH\Local Account\Administrator.When I try to use CMD and open as administrator, it does not open as system32, but shows C:\Users\Administrator.Help please....
  4. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  6. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  7. Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe: Hello Lovely people,Im from the Netherlands so my english isnt that very good,But couple of days when i start my up i got an cmd prompt but its empty so it doesnt say anything it stays a few sec and then it goes away and then i get the cmd prompt but with cscript.exe and then...
  8. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cmd prompt: I had win 10 setup so that shift right click context menus showed cmd prompt, as powershell does a lousy job with batch files, which I use a lot. Latest update killed that setting and I can't get it back. None of the suggestions on the web are working. So two questions:...
  9. Is cmd prompt traceable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is cmd prompt traceable?: I want to use cmd prompt at my school to figure out the password to their WiFi, and I know I can do things like reset the administrator account’s password, or remotely shutdown any windows PC in the school, but refrain out of fear of expulsion. Basically, is using cmd prompt...
  10. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cmd prompt: My cmd prompt isn't opening for my file (use for Minecraft modding) The option doesn't even show up to use it all that shows up is powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-prompt/5f084111-fa7d-4cdd-b450-68c430dcd7b0