Windows 10: What constitutes a Full backup in MR?

Discus and support What constitutes a Full backup in MR? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Here's a scenario... My C drive gets backed up daily using Incremental Forever method. After 30 incremental backups are formed I get the impression... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Corona, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Corona Win User

What constitutes a Full backup in MR?

Here's a scenario...
    My C drive gets backed up daily using Incremental Forever method.
    After 30 incremental backups are formed I get the impression that these are somehow formed into a Full.
    Every new incremental (afterwards) are morphed into this Full, while getting rid of the oldest incremental within the new Full. Is that right??
    My line of logic sort of goes bananas around here.
    Then I eat ice cream and forget what I was thinking about.

This task of first creating 30 incrementals before being incorporated into a full...is that rule bendable?
    I don't use my PC heavily enough to really warrant a daily tally. ie., it's not a workstation.
    For my C drive, I could see creating incrementals maybe twice a week. I'm not sure though.
    Who knows, maybe once a week is enough.
    How does one gauge what constitutes a necessary Daily incremental backup load? *Confused

:)

Corona, Dec 16, 2019
  2. JMX
    jmx Win User

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups

A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.

Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Dec 16, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

Why on earth did you try to clone a drive that contains image backups?

The image backups are compressed and all you had to do was to simply copy the backups from one drive to another using file explorer.

cereberus, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

1. What constitutes a Full backup in MR? - Similar Threads - constitutes Full backup

2. Mr

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mr: There is a McAfee pop which is appearing every now and then blocking my screen. How can I block it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mr/7cd062de-785d-4e57-b32e-1bc9e368ff55
  3. Mr

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mr: There is a McAfee pop which is appearing every now and then blocking my screen. How can I block it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mr/7cd062de-785d-4e57-b32e-1bc9e368ff55
  4. What next, MR

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What next, MR: So ive made the bootable recovery onto a USB pendrive and made and image of the C drive onto an external SSD, so im going to do a back up every week so what do i choose, full image every time Incremental or differential ? 183538
  5. What constitutes a "High DPI" video monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What constitutes a "High DPI" video monitor?: I initially asked this question on the MSDN forum but couldn't find an answer there - so here goes...Visual Studio allows me to compile an app so that it's DPI Aware - in other words, if my video monitor has a high DPI setting, the app will behave differently somehow,...
  6. Mr

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mr: Cannot use Win 10 backup. It says destination drive has errors and refuses to backup. I've checked the hard drive and it has no errors. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mr/caa12cb9-7c21-409a-b81d-19e6c8e31893
  7. What constitutes a free app or extension at Microsoft/Windows?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What constitutes a free app or extension at Microsoft/Windows?: So I am sort of new at the Microsft store. I always use apps/extensions on Google Chrome or my android phone. So I got interested in apps/extensions for my laptop. I was viewing the free area for now and came across one that says it is free for one day. That constitutes with...
  8. MR backups suddenly taking twice as long

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MR backups suddenly taking twice as long: Attachment 258929 I think MR7 started weirding out around the time of the latest Win10 CU. My C drives (w/ Win10) is taking exponentially longer to merge the previous incremental with the 00-00 mrimg file. [img] Here's the old time it used to take to finish about a week...
  9. Mr

in Windows 10 Support
    Mr: What's the question? If you're talking about updating the firmware for your 360, MS handles that. I don't know of an outside source for firmware updates. 142638
  10. Mr

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mr: I got my suscription to office by onedrive however I can't run in another computer. Could you tell me what to do to run mi office software on that computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mr/0eaa9b85-f48f-4005-9233-7a2b14dcdef8